Charred Cloth

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
S

Soarn

Thanks for having me on your forum. Just an additional thought on charcloth. Suppose that I am crossing a stream. My char falls in the river and drowns. Now what?

Personally i have had good success using cattail down...commpressed like a pancake. I put it in the open fire for a few secs until it is well charred and then put my foot on it to stop the "burn". Catches flint or quartz sparks almost as quickly as charcloth made of denim.

-Soarn

JimFSC

Tenderfoot
Mar 21, 2004
Isle of Wight
Whenever I'm out and about I carry two survival tins- my 'open' one which I use stuff from (such as firestriker and tinder) and my 'closed' tin (which is sealed and strictly for emergencies). Obviously the 'open' tin needs frequent restocking. I carry these in different places and elsewhere I carry a big firestriker, flint and steel (as it's a pleasure to use if I am not in a hurry) and a bag of tinder (char cloth usually). This may sound like a lot but amounts to 1 normal size tobbacco tin (my 'closed' tin) a half size tin ('open' kit) a small pouch (4" across) and a tiny bag in a back pocket. This ensures thhat I will always have dry tinder somewhere on me (even if I fall in a river as all the tinder is kept in plastic bags). :bu:

Blue Sky, Jim.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE