Charging mobile devices

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

WDBurns

Jan 1, 2011
Chester
While on a long walk my phone started to beep, letting me know it was low on juice. Not good in a survival situation.
Solutions are:
* Solar chargers which need many hours of great weather, unlikely in the UK.
* Wind-up charger requires hours of handle turning just for a partial charge.

* nPower Peg. The Peg is a power storing dynamo that uses walking motion to generate electricity. It stores the energy from walking (even the jostling of driving can generate some juice) into a lithium polymer battery. Once you've walked up some charge, you plug your gadget's USB charging cable into the Peg and it will start to charge.
http://www.everythingusb.com/npower-peg-kinetic-charger-18943.html

Any thoughts?

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
...Any thoughts?

Looks a bit big...

collegestudent2.jpg

resnikov

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
For an over night camp have a look at powermonkey-eXplorer, I got one and rate it well.
You can charge the battery unit on it before you go out and then use that to charge your phone overnight. The solar charger will work in the UK, you will be surprised. The solar part can either charge the battery or the phone directly.

No affiliation to the company just a happy customer.

kiltedpict

Native
Feb 25, 2007
Banchory
I use the powermonkey explorer too and would recommend it highly! I can charge my iPhone at least twice on it, plus some left over in reserve.

One thing I now do though is charge it in the evening so I can stop it once phone is charged. The powermonkey seems to last longer that way compared to charging overnight (leaving it connected long after the phone is full)- at least in my experience FWIW :)

KP

Last edited:

Stuart69

On a new journey
Jul 7, 2008
Glasgow
I use a Veho Pebble, it's good for 4 or 5 full recharges of my phone or ipod on a full charge. Great price at Amazon just now -LINK-

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE