portable solar charger

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Kindle will almost certainly draw 500mah and is not supplied with a mains charger. My mum has mine, but i dont remember it taking any longer to charge than my phone, must get it back lol

ZEbbEDY

Nomad
Feb 9, 2011
Highlands
i fancy getting this one from dx, 40 odd quid

folds up into a neat case thingy and max output of 1800 mA, would use it to charge one of those battery packs via usb or direct to the device, do you reckon they would work ok?

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
Looking at the link and specs it should perform to spec BUT, look at the size of the thing... six panels that are 75 cm long!!! Also they would be a royal pain to angle to the sun as they are 'loose' panels and would flop all over the place.

My set up I can get up to 1400 mAh in a much smaller package and Cottonpickers over on CPF forums does folding panels with 2 x 1000mAh panels I believe that are in self contained foldable pouches, much easier to use.

Steve

Jan 15, 2012
essex
Hi guys, any of you found a good AA charger, one what also shows when charge is done. been looking on ebay and most AA chargers are power packs for powering other things or cheapo 2 cell ones what dont show when charged. I do have a freeloader AA charger what shows when charged but could do with a 4 cell charger.
Been checking out solar panels and going to pick a couple up.
Also see you cen get 2x 18650 boxes too if a 4x cell is to big, works the same as the 4 cell box, posted by sorry forgot who put the picure up.

Jan 15, 2012
essex
Looking at the link and specs it should perform to spec BUT, look at the size of the thing... six panels that are 75 cm long!!! Also they would be a royal pain to angle to the sun as they are 'loose' panels and would flop all over the place.

My set up I can get up to 1400 mAh in a much smaller package and Cottonpickers over on CPF forums does folding panels with 2 x 1000mAh panels I believe that are in self contained foldable pouches, much easier to use.

Steve

I was thinking somthing like a netbook case, one with a zip on 3 sides so it opens up like a book, stick the panels down no prob. should be able to get onr on ebay for a few pounds.

ZEbbEDY

Nomad
Feb 9, 2011
Highlands
ive got mine in a netbook case enough room for all cables, 7000mah usb charger and battery charger (7dayshop one)

what do i need to do to check how much power its giving to usb devices with the multimeter? chop up a cable and run wires from red and black leads to multimeter probes?

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
Take a USB lead and chop into it and split one of the wires. You then plug your device into the panel with the chopped lead and connect your multimeter to both the split ends so making the multimeter in series and completing the circuit.

Steve.

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
This one has proved to be totally weatherproof over the years and still going strong, Charges 2 or 4 AA.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Sorry I can’t comment on the technical side ,the best I can do is show an image of the power output on the back plate. Hope that helps .

ZEbbEDY

Nomad
Feb 9, 2011
Highlands
Take a USB lead and chop into it and split one of the wires. You then plug your device into the panel with the chopped lead and connect your multimeter to both the split ends so making the multimeter in series and completing the circuit.

Steve.

sorry man im a spaz with all this electronics malarky, not done it since physics in school

i cut a usb cable and exposed the red and black wires and connect the multimeter to them with croc clips but it doesnt do anything

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
You leave the black wire intact and only split the red wire and connect the MM to these ends. Make sure the MM is set to DC Amps, and make sure the MM leads are in the correct terminals, the 1 Amp terminal will be fine, as it's different for testing current than volts.

Plug your device into the panel using your split lead and MM and you will get the current being drawn but will need full sun to get a true reading.

Post number 28 of this thread has a picture of how you test for current.

Steve.

Last edited:

Cade

Life Member
Apr 27, 2012
Bristol
Steve

can we get a full break down of the kit you have and where you got it :) and ideally rough costs

its something i'm going to look at doing as the kids want there DSi's to work whilst camping for the night times lol

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
im working on a 10000ma battery pack which will hopefully charge my iphone and anything else and the total cost should be about £9. Will share details when ive finished it but im just waiting on a voltage booster.

any bright conditions really improve things and even full winter sunshine is quite effective. in full summer they can overheat and power drops. you cant win with these things lol.

Hi Barethrills (that name still makes me chuckle)
Im very interested indeed to find out how this little project is coming along?
I seem to have a wealth of gadgets that seem to run out of charge on a constant basis!!
How is the little project comng along?
Cheers
Steve

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Hi Barethrills (that name still makes me chuckle)
Im very interested indeed to find out how this little project is coming along?
I seem to have a wealth of gadgets that seem to run out of charge on a constant basis!!
How is the little project comng along?
Cheers
Steve

I finished it a good while ago Steve but i must get round to the right up. Used it at rough close when you were there. I will get some piccies up soon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE