portable solar charger

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
Been looking into getting a solar charger for camping and emergency power. Have heard the offerings are not great unless you spend mega bucks and also many portable panels can struggle in the UK weather?

While on the Candlepowerforums I stumbled upon a recommendation for a solar charger in this thread... http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/sh...Solar-Powered-amp-USB-Chargers-2-panels-added ... so I have ordered one for £34 which is not too bad if it turns out to be rubbish.

The reviews seem to be good and the maker/seller is UK based so I'm hoping that it will be a viable option to charge my lithium and nimh batts and also to power usb run devices?

The XL 160mm x 160mm panel puts out 700mA in full sun but I will see how much juice it will provide on inclement days. There are several versions both smaller and larger in size but I went for the XL pack.

If anyone is interested I will do a review good or bad when I receive it and try it out?

Steve.

Bucephalas

Jan 19, 2012
Chepstow, Wales
I'd be interested in any review you do.

We don't get much "sun" in the Uk so I'd be interested in seeing the results. I use a briefcase style one for bigger camps which is superb, but it does take a bright day if not full sun to be of any use.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
Yes the guy that makes these said you can cover 90% of the panel and still get 4-5 volts but the current drops right down and is why things either take ages to charge or wont work at all.

I'm not expecting miracles but something that could top up batteries would be cool?

Steve.

markphelan

Tenderfoot
Feb 24, 2011
Birmingham UK
The folding version looks quite neat. When we go camping I carry a folding solar panel that I got from Maplin and run it through a charge controller to keep a lead-acid topped up to run LED lights and charge phones. Not the most portable solution, but even in bad weather we've never run out of power and it certainly didn't break the bank. Have discussed this previously here: http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=78898

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
Just looked at the solar panels you linked to in the other thread and they all seem to be 12 volt versions? From what I have read on the CPF forum thread, solar panels that are rated at 4-6 volts are much more efficient for their respective size (4 times better quoted) for charging low power devices and batteries than 12 volt versions as these have to step down the voltage in some way and loose efficiency?

Steve.

Last edited:

markphelan

Tenderfoot
Feb 24, 2011
Birmingham UK
12 volt versions will probably just be 2 or 3 panels wired in series, so shouldn't make much different to efficiency. Admittedly the CPF stuff is geared towards charging smaller cells, but same principles. I've enquired about a couple of his mini voltmeters for my setup from the guy.

pauljm116

Native
May 6, 2011
Rainham, Kent
Ive tried in the past with solar and it didnt work for me (just not enough sun) and it has been discussed here http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=75751&highlight=solar, so I got myself a rechargable power pack with usb port and that keeps my phone charged for over a week. Im still interested in solar power and would love to use it if I can find a system that works with our levels of sunlight, so would definately be interested in how this system gets on. Review sounds like a good idea.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
Just been told that the XL panel will hit 700 mA from about April on a nice sunny day. The lithium charger that comes with it is also rated at 700 mA so should charge my 18650's in about four hours and the eneloops in about the same time. If I had both the chargers running I expect them to need 8 full hours of sun?

It is also possible to 'Lego' more than one panel together with a usb to usb connector to up the available current which is a nice option if one panel hasn't got the oomph to do what you need!

Steve.

winst0nsmith

Tenderfoot
Jan 8, 2012
South West Wales
Depends on the type of pV. Monocrystaline are cheaper (so tend to be used more) and work very well in bright sunlight but are pretty much useless otherwise. Polycrystaline are more expensive, generally produce less but will still perform in lower light conditions. With regards to light, it's not just hours of that is the issue in winter, the low height of the sun in the sky reduces the intensity of light hitting each unit of area compared to summer.

Solar is still relitavely young as a technology, it will improve in time; it's only been 15 years or so since panels can produce more energy than they took to manufacture in the first place.

Spare batteries are normally quite cheap for most devices, £34 would get quite a few and probably be more reliable.

knifefan

Nov 11, 2008
Lincolnshire
In this hemisphere you are better off with a portable power pack rather than a solar charger!!! I got one for my galaxy tab and gives more than enough to watch at least 3 films or browse the tinternet all week end!! I'll try and find a link if I can. !!!!

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
I have ordered the other model Trent power pack, the 7000mAh version, they all get good reviews on Amazon. This in all honesty will be probably all I need for back up power but the solar panel will be for emergency use or if it's any good for longer trips away?

Steve.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
I believe the 11000 mAh version can only be charged via a 13 A socket outlet, is this true? I went for the smaller pack as it is charged via a usb lead which is what the solar panel uses.

Steve.

pauljm116

Native
May 6, 2011
Rainham, Kent
I believe the 11000 mAh version can only be charged via a 13 A socket outlet, is this true? I went for the smaller pack as it is charged via a usb lead which is what the solar panel uses.

Steve.

As far as I can remember thats right, Ive only ever charged mine using the plug. Good thinking to get the other one to go with solar panels. I hope the panels work as I would like to have a sustainable energy source whilst out and about.

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Just been told that the XL panel will hit 700 mA from about April on a nice sunny day. The lithium charger that comes with it is also rated at 700 mA so should charge my 18650's in about four hours and the eneloops in about the same time. If I had both the chargers running I expect them to need 8 full hours of sun?

It is also possible to 'Lego' more than one panel together with a usb to usb connector to up the available current which is a nice option if one panel hasn't got the oomph to do what you need!

Steve.

Cheers Steve. I tried to resist but couldnt. I now own an 80w, 40w and 10w in 12v plus my solar folding charger and now this lol. I got one of the 18650 boxes too as ive got tons of them. will let you know if its any good but in theory it should hold 10,000 mah ish when full

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Did he send the iphone adapter too? be really interested to see if that works. ive charged my iphone direct from a 10w 12v panel via a ciggy socket usb jobby but even that needed good sun. this 5v panel should be much more efficient though. I use an angle poise lamp with 100w bulb in for testing when there is no sun.

look forward to hearing your results :)

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
No I didn't ask for the apple adaptor as I will be using the Trent power pack for charging my phone. I'm already thinking about getting a second panel to lego to my first as I have found a perfect size soft case to hold them in.
That would be 1400 mAh potential output but it would be more to compensate for duller days, I would be happy to get just 700mA out of both panels connected together if the sun wasn't full on.

I'm still trying to figure out how to measure the current output with my multi-meter, have a HID torch which should be enough light to test with?

Steve.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE