Charcloth

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dave Barker

Nomad
Sep 15, 2003
Norway
www.brukskniver.net
Ok so i know roughly what it is.

i have no possibility to make it here, and nowwhere i have found in Norway sells the stuff,

Is there anyone who can point me in the right direction, Might have something worth trading if anyone is kind enough to want to send me some though this shoule be taken to pm where things can be discussed.

Am I right in thinking that a firesteel will light this ( ember?) on one strike . Bythis i mean theat the sparks from normal striking are enough.

Thanks for your time .And your help.. i will learn so will ask lots of silly questions....
:shock:

mojofilter

Nomad
Mar 14, 2004
bonnie scotland
Dave, I would be surprised if you didnt have facilities to make charcloth, do you have a barbeque, even a throw away one would do, and two coke cans.

Just cut the ring pull ends off the cans and pierce a hole in the bottom of one. fill one half can with loose cotton (old denim or Tshirt) and then slide the other half can over the first and toss on the fire or bbq. When smoke stops coming out the hole you pierced in the can, remove from fire and plug hole with a matchstick etc... Once cool open up and voila charcloth!

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
just dont put it in the forge dave, it will be too hot and melt the aluminium can

resulting in instant disintegration :shock:

:wink: Tant

alick

Settler
Aug 29, 2003
Northwich, Cheshire
Dave, why don't you go and look at my tutorial on how to make small amounts of charcloth.

http://www.bushcraftuk.net/community/showthread.php?t=2523&highlight=charcloth

The photo's have become disconnected but they're all still there in the gallery under my name in the campcraft section.

just roll a bit of old denim up, stuff it in a length of copper waterpipe with a small (2mm) hole drilled in it somewhere, and bung the two ends up with damp earth.

Cook with a blowtorch in the garden until the smoke stops, then let it cool before taking the cloth out. Should take you 30 mins to do all this, then you'll know what it's all about. :biggthump

Good luck.

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Try and have a look at the main site. It's one of the best tutorials I've seen on how to make the stuff. Right here. :wink:

Yes, you're right it will light with one strike and burn for minutes, depending on the size of course.

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
Make sure that you use cotton and nothing else for charcloth - a tablecloth works well! :wink:

Polycottons and synthetics are no good and make a major mess.

Also, keep an eye on the smoke being generated - when it starts to subside, it's nearly ready.

jason01

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 24, 2003
Dave

High carbon firesteels will catch an ember in charcloth with one gentle strike as long as you use a sharp bit of flint.

Jason

Dave Barker

Nomad
Sep 15, 2003
Norway
www.brukskniver.net
tomtom said:
we read it stew.. we were trying to point out that dave most likely does have all he needt to make the stuff! :wink:

I probably have the stuff.... but not during the winter. i am not even going to attempt lighting the bbq in -10!

For those who answered I thank you, for those who sent pm, i thank you even more!!

:You_Rock_

Dave Barker

Nomad
Sep 15, 2003
Norway
www.brukskniver.net
tomtom said:
you dont have a blow tourch?

and anyhow.. you got to practice your fire lighting rain or shine (or snow) :biggthump

no blow torch at the mo.... and before i practice i wanna do it in the dry.. -10 is cold round the cobblers regardless of how much clothing you wear.

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
Read this thread and today thought I'd have a go.
Shoe polish tin, 6" x 4" bit of cotton (didn't do the table cloth - coward).
stuck it on the burner on the stove.
Somewhere I read that you had to wait until the smoke stopped.
Well, I waited and then I waited some more, then I coughed a lot, then I opened the windows, then I waved frantically at the smoke alarms that are directly connected to a system that calls the fire brigade ( some of whom are my mates and would take the p*** for a lifetime).
Eventually the thing stopped smoking and after taking it off the stove and dropping it (forgot, because I was choking at the time, that the ruddy thing would be molten hot) on the wife's new chopping board (yep, permanently scarred) I have charcloth!!!!
Whoopee!!!
Teenager and missus well miffed that all the clothes I took out of the tumble drier smell like...well...smoked, and the teenager thinks I have alzheimers and burned something by accident ( how do you explain to one that this was to get something that you can light with a spark when all you need is a microwave cooker?).
But I have charcloth - a precious thing!!!

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
Great feeling isn't it making the first batch, almost as good as mastering the bow drill for the first time, trouble is once you've made your first batch you'll want to make more.... even if you don't need it. :-D

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
Lithril said:
Great feeling isn't it making the first batch, almost as good as mastering the bow drill for the first time, trouble is once you've made your first batch you'll want to make more.... even if you don't need it. :-D

yeah felt great. Choking, still have red eyes and if I ever do it again indoors I shall have to make it worthwhile as I shall be homeless!
*** do I do these things?

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
beachlover said:
yeah felt great. Choking, still have red eyes and if I ever do it again indoors I shall have to make it worthwhile as I shall be homeless!
*** do I do these things?
:eek:): :rolmao: :biggthump

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
I think making the shoe polish cooker with candle wax on cardboard upset her a bit, especially melting the wax in the Le Creusier pans, but "smoking the clothing," well I think you guys are in for a serious law suit.
The good news is that she is so p****d off that she is going to buy me a shed for Xmas. The bad news is that after the charcloth episode I think I am going to be living in it!
Is this bad news I wonder? Mmmmmmmmm?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE