charcloth question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

hiraeth

Settler
Jan 16, 2007
Port Talbot
Have never tried to make charcloth, but after christmas i have a couple of empty buiscuit tins on hand, so am going to try making charcloth the question is, i have a pair of jeans which are beond repair so was wondering if they are suitable for making it.

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Have never tried to make charcloth, but after christmas i have a couple of empty buiscuit tins on hand, so am going to try making charcloth the question is, i have a pair of jeans which are beond repair so was wondering if they are suitable for making it.

Yes denim can be used and it makes pretty good char cloth as well!
I'm not sure about using a big biscuit tin though.:confused: Someone else will probably answer that question for you.:rolleyes:

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
I am currently using jeans as charcloth and it works great.
I do mine on a much smaller scale than biscuit tin though!
I use an old metal type sweet tin with a hole poked in it, thow it in the grate on the coal fire and wait till loads of smoke comes out of it; then wait a bit more.
Have a go works for me with traditional flint and steel and with a ferro rod great.
Dave

Dark Horse Dave

Apr 5, 2007
Surrey / South West London
I've had good results using a small (standard?) sized Golden Syrup tin, packing it fairly loosely with thick cottony material similar to denim. That produces plenty enough char cloth for my purposes - a biscuit tin sounds a bit big to me.

Cheers,

DHD

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Yeah thats my feelings too I think a biscuit tin would be too big. Although going away from char cloth, a biscuit tin makes a good meat smoker.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
when I'm making charcloth for immediate use at shows for demonstrating I have a little sweety tin that holds a strip of cloth 2x8" folded up, but when I make more of it I use a whiskey bottle tin and do rolls of cloth 12x28". as long as you are patient and you don't try to over fill or under fill the biscuit tin it should work, but I would reccomend something smaller to start with, otherwise you'll probably end up re-cooking the tin a few times till you get the whole lump charred :D

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
Most any cotton or linen clothe will work. Just make sure that it does not have any synthetic/nylon in it. Those modern manufactured materials melt. And the more used or washed your clothe is, the better it seems to work when charred.

Most people over on this side of the pond tend to use a small candy/losseng tin to make small batches of charclothe - like Suckrets or Altoids. The Altoids tins tend to be more available - at least over here. You might also look to see if you have a tin bandaid container. They also work well and aren't too big. And I've used a small 1/2 pint paint/varnish can before. I just burned any residue out of it first, and then punched a nail hole into the lid.

A friend came up with a method of making charclothe without a "tin" a few years ago for his historical demonstrations. He couldn't find any documentation for those "tins" before the mid to late 1800's. So he came up with another method.

What he does is cut/tear his cotton or linen clothe into long strips about 2 inches wide. He then wraps that clothe around a small stick/twig (as big as a pencil or so). When he has wrapped it up until that "bundle" is around 2 inches thick, he then tosses it onto his campfire. That starts the whole OUTSIDE of the clothe on fire. When it has burned a bit, and the flames are dying down and the bundle is now "glowing" red on the outside, he then buries it in the dirt. This smothers the burning bundle.

When it has completely cooled, he digs it out. He now has "charred clothe" all around the outside of the bundle, with it getting progressively less charred as you unroll it. To use, he just rolls off a few inches and tears it off. He then stores the rest in a leather pouch. That stick in the center helps protect the charclothe, and the pouch helps keep it from getting all busted up - and getting black gunk over everything else in your pack.

As he unrolls and uses his charclothe, it starts to get more brownish - less charred. That's the center parts that the fire never got to. When it won't catch a spark easily anymore, he tosses the bundle back into the fire to "char" some more - and then buries it in the dirt to put it back out.

This method does work fairly well. The only real drawback is that you end up waisting some clothe. Some gets burned/charred too much, and some gets under "cooked". But it is just a continuing "work in progress".

So you don't need a "tin" to make charclothe. There are other ways. I even know one guy that took a bean can, stuffed some cotton shop rags in it, smooshed the open end together fairly tight, and tossed it in the fire to "char". It's a one-time use method, but it worked! And he had the charclothe he needed for the Flint-n-Steel Fire Starting competition an hour later.

Just some humble thoughts to share. Take them as such.

Mikey - yee ol' grumpy blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

p.s. Yeah, me and some friends of mine are kind of hard on shop-rags. We use them for more things than just wiping oil/grease/paint. Our biggest problem is not being able to find one when we really need one. But that's also what jeans and shirt sleeves are for! (and I do my own laundry, so I also know the consequences of such actions!)

Nightwalker

Native
Sep 18, 2006
Cornwall, UK.
www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk
In the past I have used old socks, dusters etc. but I have found the best to be denim jeans. I've never owned a pair so I have to nick my mates old pairs :theyareon I use an old air-pellet tin to make my charcloth which is a lot smaller than a biscuit tin! I will have to try making some on a larger scale though.

chem_doc

Tenderfoot
Sep 14, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I've played with various sized tins with making charcloth.

In my hands, smaller tins work better.

I think that has to do more with my arrangement on/in the coals though. In larger tins, the inner portions of the cloth don't see as much heat as the cloth near the walls of the tin, so they don't char as well.

Also, in larger tins, there is more air/smoke/fumes being heated up inside the tin/being produced in the tin. All that pressure produced tends to not like being forced out of a tiny little hole in the top, and the resulting "explosive decompression" (OK, OK... the top of the larger cans/tins popped off with a rather large "BOOM" but without any real explosion) was annoying. The result of the top popping off tended to shoot my charcloth into the coals, where it would light and, as it's supposed to, was almost impossible to put out once lit.

I have settled on an Altoids canister. It works well and I have yet to have it pop open.

Doc

G

gm69camaro

I wrap the denim in aluminum foil, leaving a minimum amount of air space, and poke a small hole in the top. It's like a made to size container, works great!

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Only yesterday I treid a variation on my normal method.
I used a stainless coffee tin - barely big enough to make a fist in, I put a duster in the bottom and some pieces of birch punk to fill it up. I didn't bother with a hole as the lid was not a good fit. Put the whole lot into the kitchen range firebox (it has been the heat source for so many projects, I don't know what I do without it now) and let it cook for about twenty minutes. Retrieved, cooled and opened, the first piece of charcoal caught a spark from a flint & steel and grew until I could use it in a tinder bundle. I intend trying to char some other materials to find something resilient in its charred state that will take a bit of abuse in a tinder pouch.
My normal method prior to this was to roll up cloth and poke it into a length of copper tubing, which was bashed flat at one end with just enough of a hole to let the smoke out; the other end was stuck into the ground either in the enbers of a fire or anywhere to get a blow torch on it - works acceptably well but only amsll batch sizes.

ATB

Ogri the trog

stevesteve

Nomad
Dec 11, 2006
UK
I have been using some cotton toweling in a boot polish tin.It works a treat, lights with a single spark and gives off a hell of a heat.

Cheers,
Steve

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Just finished making a batch - Tescos Teatowel in a syrup tin on the livingroom fire while I watched "the best of Top Gear" - works a treat!

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
A bunch of years ago, a nun described a method they had developed to make charclothe for a specific religious cerimony at the convent. It required starting a fire with flint and steel.

They cut up a well-worn cotton t-shirt or flour-sack dish towel into 2 to 3 inch squares. They then laid them out on an old cookie sheet and put it in their regular baking oven. They turned it up as high as they could - around 500 degrees (F). They then let it "bake", watching it carefully. The white cotton squares slowly started to turn brown, and eventually started to turn black. And thus they had their Charclothe. She did say it took a few tries to get it "baked" long enough and black enough. And it did leave that hint of ... burnt toast ... in the air in the kitchen.

She said that the nun that had to make the charclothe, and then strike the sparks to the specific tones of the music/song had to conciously avoid striking the sparks into the charclothe until the last moment when the cerimony required it - to keep from catching sparks too quickly!

Sounds to me that their method worked well for them.

As I stated before, the simplest method I ever saw was taking an empty food can, loosely tossing in some cut up cotton clothe until about 1/3 full, squishing the open end of the can flat together, tossing that can into your existing fire to watch the smoke pour out along that squished end. And when the smoke mostly stops, pull the can out of the fire and bury the squished end in dirt until the whole can is cool enough to pick up in your hand. Now pry open that squished end and dump out your charclothe - and store it in a plastic baggie or air-tight container to keep it from absorbing moisture out of the air. It's a one-time use on the can (or so), but you don't have to search for "just the right tin container". It's as close as last night's "bean can".

Mikey - yee ol' grumpy blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
Old clothes tend not to work for me. I think it is something to do with the hardness of my local water and possibly the fabric conditioner used. So I tend to use only new cloth. Currently I am working my way through an old roller blind and a discarded decorative drape from my daughter's bedroom.

There are places in a fire with minimal oxygen that you can char material in. An example is the upper surface of a flat board. Once your cloth has visibly gone black then whip it out and smother it (or throw it into water before drying out for use).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE