Char cloth

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

nic.

Forager
Mar 21, 2011
Mid Wales
For the last few years I have found that charcloth made from yellow duster to be the best; but the last three packs of ten, al from different shops I have bought have not worked at all. They go black and crispy rather than the flexible slightly grey that I am used to. Anybody know of any branded ones that work?

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Nic,
My favourite for charcloth is old pairs of jeans - my own if possible, but charity shop bargains if necessary.

I have a pathological aversion to buying new things to turn into char!

ATB

Ogri the trog

nic.

Forager
Mar 21, 2011
Mid Wales
Nic,
My favourite for charcloth is old pairs of jeans - my own if possible, but charity shop bargains if necessary.

I have a pathological aversion to buying new things to turn into char!

ATB

Ogri the trog

Hi Pete,

I know it seems a shame but I have never found anything I can recycle that comes close. I tried jeans and it whilst they work the difference was so marked- maybe 1 spark would take every five strikes. With dusters I was getting five sparks every strike. At the moment I am using some lamp wicking rope I bought in Thailand, which is also brilliant but not so easy to replace when it runs out.
Just found the CD of the pictures of that course- send my your address and I'll get it off to you.

Nic

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
For all the hassle of making char cloth, isn't it easier to use cotton wool and Vaseline? I find it bursts into flames from a spark, it's waterproof and so easy to make (or are we talking about sparks from proper flint/steel?)

nic.

Forager
Mar 21, 2011
Mid Wales
I should have been clearer these are for 'proper' flint and steel. They are for the sets that I sell on my website, so I am keen to use the easiest to light char cloth I can. For years I was fine with the dusters but now they don't seem to work. I have tried jeans, moleskin, linen nappy liners, towels, all sorts but nothing comes close to the dusters, except the Thai wick that I have but that won't last long.

Actually there is a pound shop in my nearest town, I bought two different rolls of 10 dusters from them. But as I said to no effect. Still was only a 32mile round trip. :)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Erm Steve, you haven't spent much time around the Mid Wales Desert have you?

It's probably several hours drive to get to a "Pound-Shop"!

ATB

Ogri the trog
Bite the bullet and go to Tesco (one on every corner ... awaiting arson come the revolution!) I use their Tea towels... and get great joy in burning a Tescos branded product!

Firelite

Forager
Feb 25, 2010
bedfordshire
Mountainm got it right first time - there must be some man-made fibre in the mixture of the cloths you used. if you can find 100% cotton dusters you should be back on track. I checked the net and there are many suppliers. I suppose if it turns out to not be 100% cotton you must have purchased it from a suppliar instead!!

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I just used some old cotton hankys, that sat at the back of the draw, all old and grey, clean and washed , they seem to work.

Have you thought about asking a local returant if they use cotton napkins?, then offer to buy the old wornout ones from them?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE