Char cloth

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

nic.

Forager
Mar 21, 2011
Mid Wales
Thanks for the ideas, I will have another go at some dusters, see if I can find a brand without contaminants in. I spent a lot of time testing different materials a few years back; ended up writing an article in Bushcraft and Survival skills magazine on it. No material I tried came close to 'good' dusters. I could get a spark to catch on most of the materials mentioned but not every time. If you are trying to teach a child and they are struggling to get a spark it is really important that when they get one, that very one will take on the charcloth. Again this relates to traditional flint and steel firelighting, not ferro'.

D

DavidBFPO

Thanks for the ideas, I will have another go at some dusters, see if I can find a brand without contaminants in. I spent a lot of time testing different materials a few years back; ended up writing an article in Bushcraft and Survival skills magazine on it. No material I tried came close to 'good' dusters. I could get a spark to catch on most of the materials mentioned but not every time. If you are trying to teach a child and they are struggling to get a spark it is really important that when they get one, that very one will take on the charcloth. Again this relates to traditional flint and steel firelighting, not ferro'.
----
hello,
I'm presently teaching this skill & used a few old rolled up small bandages as char cloth using flint & steel. I only allow matches/lighter to be used in teaching these techniques once the flint & steel (not ferro) is mastered. I'm running low on pieces of flint.
Regards
David

Aug 19, 2011
aberdeenshire
hi

i used to use char cloth with my scouts but found that the making of the cloth was quite time consuming. i now use cotton cord (from b&q, homebase ect) and soak it in a strong solution of saltpetre for 30mins and then leave to dry overnight.

the cord wont look any different but will take the smallest spark and glow very hot.

this used to be called a slow match and was used for firing cannons ect. burns very hot and very slow, when you have finished, snuff it out and its ready for the next spark.

hope this helps

ken

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
OK, stupid question. Where do you get saltpetre from in the UK? Or do you make it with the horsemanure method?

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
OK, stupid question. Where do you get saltpetre from in the UK? Or do you make it with the horsemanure method?

evil bay, its used to cure meats, i just used some for my beef joint...;)

just looked now, and no uk sellers but its where i got my last batch from...

Last edited:

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
seen a few on amazon when I started looking for potassium nitrate. Probably on some sort of list now I've been searching for it!

2trapper

Forager
Apr 11, 2011
Italy
My favorite is white undershirt. It makes perfect char cloth in about 20-30 minutes with small amount of embers, catching any minimal sparkle and great in combination with hemp rope.

For Ogri (if possible): I tried jeans but I had some trouble in time requested for making char cloth. In any attempt I tried, the cotton was not blackened at all and, as Nic, it didn't obviously take any sparkle. How much do you spend for jeans?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE