Chainsaws

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dirty Karlos

Forager
Oct 16, 2007
Hull
www.karlholtby.com
Hi all

I haven't been around here that much of late but I am just coming to the end of a three conservation course, so I am hoping to get out and about a bit more when that is out of the way. So anticipate many questions from myself.

Firstly, I am doing a week's chainsaw course next month (Lantra CLMC44X and NPTC CS30/31), I'm really looking forward to this as it is quite a sought after certificate in the world of conservation; however I suffer from tinnitus (quite badly at times) and I want to make sure that I am looking after me old lugs. Should I use ear defenders and ear plugs, any long time chainsaw operators with any thoughts on this? (or any advice at all as I am completely new to chainsaws!). I thought with this being a site full of woodland types that I may get some good advice

Also, anyone in Yorkshire fancy a spot of bivvying or a night under the tarp?

Many thanks

Karlos.

Chrisj

Nomad
Oct 14, 2009
Gwynedd
I've used chainsaws for work for years and have always been quite satisfied with just ear defenders but then I don't have tinitus so it is hard to say what would be best for you. I don't see why you couldn't use ear plugs in combination with ear defenders for extra protection. My only concern would be that if you cut out the noise too much then it may affect your awareness of your surroundings and what is going on around you. I'd say try both and if you don't like it change.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
I've suffered from tinnitus for many years and my ears are very sensitive to sharp high-pitched sounds like when you bang bits of crockery together. Even with the best ear protection I can manage, long spells at high speeds on a motorcycle give me problems (most likely what caused it in the first place) but I find just a pair of ear defenders is fine for working with a chainsaw, They're nothing like so loud as the noise in a crash helmet at, er, silly speeds (about 1dB per mph).

SWMBO recently told me some people are saying that vitamin B12 in large doses (1mg/day) has helped some tinnitus sufferers, so I'm trying it for a few months. Early days yet so I can't say much, but I have been tempted to think that my hearing has improved even though the tinnitus doesn't seem to have changed a great deal. I would add that I don't in general subscribe to quack medicine but B12 is necessary in the diet, totally harmless in these doses and I can afford it so I thought I might as well give it a try. Anyone who knows what serious tinnitus is like would say the same, I think.

Dirty Karlos

Forager
Oct 16, 2007
Hull
www.karlholtby.com
Thanks for the replies chaps, much appreciated.
Not heard of that one before Ged, I might give it a try. To be honest, although my tinnitus is bad, I have become used to it (though I would love it to **** off for good), I've had it for four years now and it's more the fact that I've got into really bad routines with my sleep patterns, it's a complex thing to go into but hey-ho...

Jinsin456

Settler
Nov 14, 2010
Maybole, Scotland
Where I work we use pneumatic rivet guns which are basically like really noisy air powered hammers, we have lights around that tell us when the noise level is greater than 90db and these are never off tbh. Anyway I have mild noise induced hearing loss so I have to watch what I'm doing so I generally have a pair of in ear ear plugs and ear defenders on if I'm working this for a prolonged amount of time. I can't say I have noticed my perceptions etc being off but if need be you can easily flick the defenders out of the way and you still have some protection. The in ear ones are better by the way by about 5db at 120db but are diddly and get dirty very quickly if you keep taking them in and out.

Hope this helps in some way :D

kodiakjoe

Apr 11, 2011
Leeds
Hi Karlos,

Which course are you finishing? I'm a conservation tutor at Leeds City College. If you're doing your finals, good luck with them :)
I'm also a chainsaw user and a mild tinnitus sufferer (low level whistle which I've learned to live with, even as a musician - the B12 thing sound interesting though). The ear defenders that are on chainsaw lids should be adequate. The Stihl chainsaw that i use run at just over 100db and the ear defenders should cut 30db off that leaving you with a comfortable volume.

Enjoy your chainsaw course, getting the hung up trees down when they don't allow a winch is always god fun :)

Mike

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
i reccomend you get whats known to the arboriculture industry as 'chipper muffs'. these are designed to cut out higher levels of noise than your standard chainsaws muffs (if you have ever stood next to a wood chipper you understand why they are reccomended!)

i have tried several makes but sordin are by far the best imo. the husqvarna helmet comes with them but only the chainsaw spec ones. frjones is where i get most of my kit and they are nice blokes to deal with. your best bet is to give them a call and ask if they can swap the standard muffs with some of these.
http://www.frjonesandson.co.uk/prod...ordin-ear-defenders-for-helmet-chipper-31snr/

have fun on your course:)
pete

jackcbr

Native
Sep 25, 2008
Gatwick, UK
www.pickleimages.co.uk
Might not be too much help, but having been a biker for 20 years, I was finding the wind noise was getting too much. I got a pair of custom earplugs made some years back that weren't full block (i.e, some noise still got through). This made biking much more comfortable, but I could still hear some traffic noise and sirens. Might be something to consider.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
...I got a pair of custom earplugs made...

It's probably also worth mentioning that they can be hideously expensive and can be difficult to get to fit right.

About ten years ago I had a pair made by somebody at Bristol audiology dept. Took a couple of weeks and cost me over sixty quid but I thought if they're that much they must be good. Well we live and learn.

Used them a few times for short journeys and found they didn't fit right, had them remade (FOC) and they still didn't fit, remade again and they sort of did fit so I thought I'd try them properly on a run from Bath to the Harwich ferry, about three hours. When I got to Harwich my ears were hurting so much that I could hardly get my crash helmet off, and when I finally did get it off I couldn't get the earplugs out because my ears had swelled around them. It took an hour or so to get them out using the pliers on my Leatherman. I never used them again, it was worse than the tinnitus and that's saying something.

Dirty Karlos

Forager
Oct 16, 2007
Hull
www.karlholtby.com
Many thanks for all the replies, much appreciated.

need4wilderness, this is where I am doing my course, it's a long way to travel from East Yorkshire when I could do it locally but this place looks good and it's in the mountains so a nice week away. I'll let y'all know how it goes.

Cheers

Karlos.

Jackdaw

Hi Karlos,

Why are you travelling all the way to Wales to get your chainsaw ticket? Bishop Burton College runs CS 30/31 and there are plenty of local companies offering the same. Seems a long way to go.

Mind you, I assume you are just finishing the BSc at BBC?

Jack

jackcbr

Native
Sep 25, 2008
Gatwick, UK
www.pickleimages.co.uk
It's probably also worth mentioning that they can be hideously expensive and can be difficult to get to fit right.

About ten years ago I had a pair made by somebody at Bristol audiology dept. Took a couple of weeks and cost me over sixty quid but I thought if they're that much they must be good. Well we live and learn.

Used them a few times for short journeys and found they didn't fit right, had them remade (FOC) and they still didn't fit, remade again and they sort of did fit so I thought I'd try them properly on a run from Bath to the Harwich ferry, about three hours. When I got to Harwich my ears were hurting so much that I could hardly get my crash helmet off, and when I finally did get it off I couldn't get the earplugs out because my ears had swelled around them. It took an hour or so to get them out using the pliers on my Leatherman. I never used them again, it was worse than the tinnitus and that's saying something.

That's a real shame, I've had mine for years and still fit as good as the day I got them. I actually have a deformed ear canal and a custom fit plug was the only way to go for me. They are a little on the pricey side, but what's the value of your hearing. Because I was doing so many miles a year, and had notice some impairment developing.

treelore

Nomad
Jan 4, 2008
Northamptonshire
go for chipper ear defenders, you want the MSA ear defenders. they are the best, too add extra protection add some foam inserts. i would also change the inside foam protection once a year, thes are known as hygiene pack. look at Honey Brothers on line or Buxtons. If you need anymore advice on saw or kit drop me an PM.

Treelore
Arborist and Forester

Dirty Karlos

Forager
Oct 16, 2007
Hull
www.karlholtby.com
Hi Karlos,

Why are you travelling all the way to Wales to get your chainsaw ticket? Bishop Burton College runs CS 30/31 and there are plenty of local companies offering the same. Seems a long way to go.

Mind you, I assume you are just finishing the BSc at BBC?

Jack

I'm just finishing the FdSc at BBC. I chose to do my course in Wales as it's going to be a nice week in the mountains and the guy that runs it has won all kinds of awards and is a proper woodsman. Besides, I wouldn't want to give BBC any more of my hard earned as organisation has been terrible, and some of the tutors, well, I'm saying nothing...

Thanks for the advice everyone, I'll take a peek at the chipper defenders :)

AussieVic

Forager
Jan 24, 2011
Victoria, Australia
High quality ear defender work for me, but I don't have tinitus. I bought a pair from Husquvana with the saw and they seem better than "regular" models; perhaps the chipper ones are better still.

In addition I recommend anti-vibration gloves, otherwise my hands feel "fuzzy" after prolonged use.

Dirty Karlos

Forager
Oct 16, 2007
Hull
www.karlholtby.com
Hi chaps, more questions. I am considering investing in some kit, chainsaw boots etc, for my course it has to be industry standard. The hire prices for the week are quite high, my brother is a buyer for a large company and can get 30 possibly 40% discount at Arco, but is this stuff worthwhile?
Linky...
Thanks.

Siberianfury

Native
Jan 1, 1970
mendip hills, somerset
i use a chainsaw for work and around the home, i use goggles, but reluctantly, the more sences i have working in full order, the safter i feel. chainsaw boots and trousers are good, but they dont realy stop the chainsaw, mearly slow it down slightly.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE