Chainsaw horse

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
I am looking for a chainsaw horse. To hold multi sized logs. Mostly for firewood but on ocasion for dressing logs.

Anyone got any real world experience? What would you recomend

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk 2

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
I believe this got discussed on British Blades recently with some good looking models. I was going to suggest a set of Super Jaws on there until some of the better models got posted. :D

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
I recently had the pleasure of assembling and using one of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CHAINSAW-...arden_GardenPowerTools_CA&hash=item53ff95076d I'm not entirely sure how I made it through the day. Scary bit of kit, way too flimsy, way too unstable, an accident waiting to happen.

My recommendation would be to get the biggest, heaviest, most solid lump of a thing that you can find/afford/have space for. Remember the PPE, there's no bonus points for chainsaw injuries, just lots of screaming whilst you bleed out.

Have you already had some chainsaw training? If so then contact whoever your provider was, I'm sure they'd be happy to help. If you've not had any training then the best person to ask to recommend a suitable saw horse would probably be your chainsaw training provider when you do get some. If, however, you think that getting some proper training is overkill then ignore everything I've said so far and just buy the saw horse that I linked to, you won't be needing it for long anyway :)

All the best,

Stuart.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
If going lightweight and folding, get this type with a safty chaon

5243680871_c04855ab22_z.jpg

This heavy fixed type with multiple uprights is very stable and you don't have to move the log

The Oregon type is best for cordwood

SAW_HORSE_IN_ACTION_4%C3%95-1.JPG

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
I recently had the pleasure of assembling and using one of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CHAINSAW-...arden_GardenPowerTools_CA&hash=item53ff95076d I'm not entirely sure how I made it through the day. Scary bit of kit, way too flimsy, way too unstable, an accident waiting to happen.

My recommendation would be to get the biggest, heaviest, most solid lump of a thing that you can find/afford/have space for. Remember the PPE, there's no bonus points for chainsaw injuries, just lots of screaming whilst you bleed out.

Have you already had some chainsaw training? If so then contact whoever your provider was, I'm sure they'd be happy to help. If you've not had any training then the best person to ask to recommend a suitable saw horse would probably be your chainsaw training provider when you do get some. If, however, you think that getting some proper training is overkill then ignore everything I've said so far and just buy the saw horse that I linked to, you won't be needing it for long anyway :)

All the best,

Stuart.

Very concise. ..

Thanks for the advice. I am chainsaw trained (many moons ago). Just wondering what is good on the market at the moment.

One minor point... if you are trained as you say. You should heed what you where taught and not have used the horse for a day if the wood/horse presented itself as unstable... in that case... you wont be needing it long either;)

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
Very concise. ..

Thanks for the advice. I am chainsaw trained (many moons ago). Just wondering what is good on the market at the moment.

One minor point... if you are trained as you say. You should heed what you where taught and not have used the horse for a day if the wood/horse presented itself as unstable... in that case... you wont be needing it long either;)

You are most certainly right and I shouldn't have used that horse on that day, unfortunately the rent needed paying so I decided to take a gamble with my own life at work on that day, luckily I won :)

I hope you didn't take offence, I can sometimes be a little....erm....concise when I'm concerned for the safety of relative strangers :eek:

All the best,

Stuart.

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
No offence at all... (and I am fully ppe'd) to be honest. Chainsaws scare me to death which is what keeps me safe (touch wood)

It is going to be fixed. Does not need to be light weight at all.

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
No offence at all... (and I am fully ppe'd) to be honest. Chainsaws scare me to death which is what keeps me safe (touch wood)

It is going to be fixed. Does not need to be light weight at all.

I'm mightily reassured (not so much about the offence as the PPE/rational fear of death/sensible approach to a saw horse), good stuff :)

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
hey Pignut,
have you thought of making up one yourself? if you have access to some reasonably solid timber, they are easy to make, lessen the chance of dinking the chain if you hit it, and when it dies, just add it to the wood pile and make another. i made one several years ago that lasted for a good few years (and even doubled as a keg stand on a couple of occasions). wish i had some pics, sorry.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE