Chainsaw Advice

• Thread starter Deleted member 4605
  • Start date
  • Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Dave,

The equivalent Husky and Stihls are around the same price: my pro Husky 346XP is about the same cost as the nearest Stihl pro equivalent, ie, about 420 quid :eek: . Unfortunately, that means all of the good saws are blinkin' expensive!

It's like the Gerber/Leatherman debate - people tend to stick with one brand only. Having said that, Huskys seem to be preferred for forestry and Stihls for tree surgeons (especially the little MS200 - awesome and very light). Nevertheless, I've hauled my Husky round tree canopies and it's been fine. Keeps you fit, anyway...:D

I would agree with that, the middle weight professional models are much of a muchness I have always done Huskys and the last 3 have been 262XPs. For big and little saws Stihls are hard to beat, I am on my third MS200 or 020T as they used to be, only for sale to climbers though with good reason. I really wanted an 084 which is a superb big saw but got a good offer on a 3120 and it has proved very reliable.

Top maintenance tips of the day

1 if your saw is not running well clean the air filter well and replace the spark plug, this sorts 95% of problems, don't fiddle with the carb settings.

2 after sharpening your chain several times the teeth inevitably end up slightly varying lengths, unless you are very good. About every 4th or 5th sharpen I use a caliper like this
vernier-001.jpg

measure the shortest tooth, sharpen it then file all the others down to exactly the same. You would not believe the difference this makes to a part worn chain.

TallMikeM

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 30, 2005
Hatherleigh, Devon
Slightly off topic but still chainsaw related: Something that really grips me is this business of certificates.
I have been using chainsaws for at least 30 years if not more, come to think of it.
In my own woods I can use the saw but if I go to some one else's woods then I am required to have a certificate.
To do each section of the course is around £300 or more. So cross-cutting £300 Felling £300 Limbing £300 Thank you very much etc
I haven't got that sort of money so if anyone has any bright ideas about how to get a ticket please add to this
I use Echo, Husky, Stihl and Jonsereds. I would add that I don't think that some of the new Stihl saws are as good as they used to be

you don't have to do a course to do an assetment, they can be booked straight through any NTPC test centre. That said, the tests are in the area of £120 or so, so you still get shafted by them.

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
There has been a very favorable report on Makita chainsaws in the FMJ (Now Forestry Journal which is a good 'big boys toys' mag!)

There is also the important 'local suppliers' idea. It's no good having a chainsaw that you have to travel miles for parts wise.

There's not a lot to chose from between Sthl and Husky just nearness of dealers and personal preferences.

Echo are another choice in the running, nice and basic with a reasonable price tag.

I disagree about the shafting on chainsaw courses! If you knew about the admin and the level of training involved by those professionals who do it for a living it is not the golden egg imagined.
I can say this as someone who is providing woodland to do all levels of training in. There is more work behind the scenes than meets the eye.

Swyn.

PS. On safety. I remember a comment from one of our harvester drivers who'd had a chainsaw accident, the scars were horrific and his comment was 'hot knife through butter'!

TallMikeM

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 30, 2005
Hatherleigh, Devon
I disagree about the shafting on chainsaw courses! If you knew about the admin and the level of training involved by those professionals who do it for a living it is not the golden egg imagined.
I can say this as someone who is providing woodland to do all levels of training in. There is more work behind the scenes than meets the eye.

then you'd be in disagreement with most of the instructors at college.

BTW, I never said the examiners get a "golden egg" nor did I say the courses were a shafting. ;)

happybonzo

Tenderfoot
Dec 17, 2005
Nr Emsworth, Hants
There
I disagree about the shafting on chainsaw courses!
Swyn.
PS. On safety. I remember a comment from one of our harvester drivers who'd had a chainsaw accident, the scars were horrific and his comment was 'hot knife through butter'!

my edit to make quote shorter
I never said that the courses were a rip off. What I was getting at is that £300 is a lot of money, £600 is even more etc When I started doing a bit of gardening I thought that 3rd Party insurance would be a good idea. The cheapest I could get was £250 approximately. I didn't make much more than that in the first year!
I simply don't have that sort of money to spare. I need a new firewood processor and that will be taking every bit of spare cash that I have got.
On the safety aspect: I always find it quite amusing that one can go to Argos/B&Q&Q pay your money and walk out with all sorts of dangerous playthings;.angle grinders, chainsaws, routers, you name it.
The man in the street has never had so many opportunities to kill or maim himself: Just recently, some matey took his arm off with a chainsaw, didn't he? No protective gloves, jacket, trousers, boots, helmet... walked across the road to his neighbour carrying th soggy bit. The surgeons have managed to sew it back on again but whether or not it all works I don't know.

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
Yes, best not to use them indoors as you might pass out from the carbon monoxide fumes.

I guess it would be okay if you opened the windows and used a fan though (oh and kept the kids out of the room). :D Okay maybe not. :togo:

EdS

just got a my Husqy stolen the other week.

Seeing as it is main used for logging and the odd job plus the fact that there is a spate of theft around here I've gone for an £80 chinese 52cc Husky knock from ebay.

Comes with 1 year warrenty etc. So if last me a year or 2 I'll be happy.Having found some info on the Chinese company that makes them they also make offical Husqvarna bits as well.

Should arrive tomorrow - see how it goes this weekend. Comes with 20" bar but once that chain on that is blunt I'll get another 13" bar and chain

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk

Seeing as it is main used for logging and the odd job plus the fact that there is a spate of theft around here I've gone for an £80 chinese 52cc Husky knock from ebay.

Comes with 1 year warrenty etc. So if last me a year or 2 I'll be happy.Having found some info on the Chinese company that makes them they also make offical Husqvarna bits as well.

Should arrive tomorrow - see how it goes this weekend. Comes with 20" bar but once that chain on that is blunt I'll get another 13" bar and chain

Blimey that sounds cheap, be interested to know how it stands up to hard work, just looking at a new middleweight myself and £5-£600 for a new 362 is what I was looking at.

happybonzo

Tenderfoot
Dec 17, 2005
Nr Emsworth, Hants

A link to the item that you bought would most usful - might help some-one (me) on Bushcraft :)

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
There has just been another level of grants put into the training programmes aimed at those in Horticulture, Farming and Forestry. This will subsidise courses related to those three, in some cases by as much as 100%! The average being around 70%.

This is a complicated procedure for those offering the training but it is there for those involved in the three main industries H, F & F. to get subsidies and be better trained and consequently sefer using all sorts of tools and machinery.

I really can't be more specific as the details really are comlpicated for those offering training with those discounts. What I can offer is the trainers official website and a Bushcraft site to stay if you feel the need to come to Bucks to take advantage of one of their courses!

www.valetrainingservices.co.uk

Please note that I am indirectly involved in this training although not on a profit making basis! As I have said I supply training sites for crosscutting, small tree felling, medium tree felling and hanger dismantling courses along with quad bike training areas and a bushcraft site.

This may be of help for those in the SE of the UK. I've even had the honour of BCUK's John Fenna visiting so it can't be all bad!

I hope this helps!

Swyn.

EdS

I've not got the saw yet as I requested delivery after today - I've been away. The sellar has been very good to deal with, answers question quickly and to the point.

Once i get the saw, I'll have a play and post up. Hoping to get oput this weekend.

I figure the 20" bar will make it a bit unbalanced, so the plan eventually is to put a 13 or 15" bar on - typical I just got rid of 15" bars as the Husqy was running 13".

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Brand-New-52cc-20-Chainsaw-Oregon-Chain_W0QQitemZ170293730620QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Home_Garden_GardenPowerTools_CA?hash=item170293730620&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1301|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
That's OK!

Here's the info on the Makita and other chainsaws from FMJ.

Go to

www.forestryjournal.co.uk

Click on Product reviews and there are two one in August and one in October. One is specifically on a Makita saw.

I see that you and robin wood are looking too so here have a look see and it may help you make an informed decision.:D

Swyn

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE