chainsaw advice needed

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
I admit my judgment was made on limited facts but I surmised that anyone who could put grease in the oil tank of a chain saw has probably not only had no training in their use but has not even had the most rudimentary instruction since "you put petrol/oil mix in here and oil in there" is the most basic info you need before you can think about starting it. One suspects you have not received instruction on how to avoid kickback or safe working practices and PPE is no substitute for understanding the dangers of the machine. Chainsaws are not the same as circular saws, grinders, power planers or other power tools, they have dangers which are not immediately apparent. Trees are every bit as dangerous as the saw and 25 years working with woodworking machinery tells you nothing about trees.

Apr 23, 2011
derby
No disrespect intended but working in a shop fitting environment in all conditions and heights one has to learn to be aware of not just his tools but his environment surroundings. My intentions with this tool was for clearing immature small trees and for cutting logs , if I was looking to do anything more serious I would of got a larger more substantial chainsaw for that work.
I may be inexperienced but I am not niave/stupid enough to believe I can cut large/ mature trees down in confined environment without full training or proffesional help. As for the grease the reason for putting it there is because that is what I was told by someone who was supposedly knowledgeble ,and since we gain most of our knowledge from those more experienced than us, I blindly accepted that not having the experience myself that is an issue between me and the shop. We learn from our mistakes and that is how we move on, I can afford to risk a mistake mechanically rather than one on safety/health which some lessons can be too expensive to ouselves physically and mentally to recover from.

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
I hope you manage to sort out your problem. I'd take the saw to a deal and get them to service it, to ensure all the gunk is out of the system or you risk the saw seizing. The heat would suggest to me either the lube isn't getting pumped around, or the air cooling system is messed up. Either is not good. I have a 181, one of the newer models and find it a breeze to work with. It can even take down medium trees... although it's a lot more work than it's worth really.

Without wishing to cause offence, I know you've probably done this many times now, but sit down and read the manual until you can quote it chapter and verse.

Good luck.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Could I ask if there are any 'hotspots' on the bar? Ie, bits which have discoloured through excessive heat?

Also - I know you've probably already done this but I have to ask - ensure that you are not running too long a bar for the saw: long bar, longer chain, more friction, needs more power. Ensure the chain is the correct one for the saw and the bar length and guide width - let's face it, the guys in the shop who put it together may not have been the sharpest knives in the draw...

The suggestion to clean out the oil tank with petrol is a good one - blow through all of the tubes and openings too (especially if you can get use of a compressor). Clean the bar too - there are holes and channels for oil transfer that need to be clear. File any sharp edges off the bar, clean out the bar channel that the chain sits in, ensure there are no pinch points where the channel has been crushed and has narrowed (hence me asking about hotspots), causing the chain to catch. If there is a little hole near the nose wheel for greasing, grease it and ensure all parts are running smoothly.

The only other thing I could think of trying would be a new bar and chain - maybe you could borrow a known good set?. If there's still a problem, there is a mechanical fault somewhere.

Suck eggs time: be careful that the chain tension isn't too tight before you do up the nut. With the clutch lock off, you should be able to move the chain along with a gloved hand relatively easily. There has to be a little bit of play.

Hope this all helps. Good luck.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE