Chain saw

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Firebow Swagger

Tenderfoot
Sep 15, 2013
United Kingdom/Essex
Evil-Dead-2-Ash_1304894566.jpg

Groovy :lmao:

chimpy leon

Jul 29, 2013
staffordshire
I regularly use my Sthil MS261. It's a great but of kit that sees some hard use.

If you're going to get a saw then you need a decent helmet with ear defenders and face guard. Class 2 trousers and boots.

I strongly advise getting your CS 30 Cross Cut and maintenance ticket.

+1 Couldn't agree more with that.

Either genuine Stihl or Husqvana will remain faithful providing you maintain them correctly... but obtaining the proper PPE and CS30 training before hand would be highly recommended.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
As for PPE since your only cutting fire wood your not gonna need chainsaw trousers and expensive boots, Just some sort of face guard id recommend and normal steelies.
I'm sorry woodsman but speaking as an ex instructor I think that's a really lax attitude. Occasional users especially don't have the experience and are very likely to have an accident. A chainsaw is more like taking a mincer to someone rather than a wee clean cut. It's simply not worth skimping on the training and gear.
Look up chainsaw accidents on Google images - it's horrific.
Personally I don't think you should be allowed to buy one without a ticket.

ATB.
GB

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Personally I don't think you should be allowed to buy one without a ticket.

I don't, in fact I think we have far too many laws and regulations already. Qualifications for professional users and mandatory insurance - fine, but if I want to use a saw on my own land to feed my own fire, I really don't need a petty bureaucrat telling me that I can't because "computer says no" - whatever next - an axe licence?

To the OP, get a Husqy or a Stihl, you can't get decent spares for most other makes and the extra spend is well worth it. Get boots, over trousers and a helmet. Get a saw bench for your wood.

Don't dismiss electric - it works very well, I use a Husqy 321EL for cutting firewood in a large barn - its great - no problems with the rain or fumes! Lighter, quieter, just as powerful as a medium saw, easy to put down and pick up when collecting logs from the floor, putting new ones on the bench etc. I do have a large petrol 350 as well, but I cut 15 cubic metres of stacked firewood a year and more than half is with an electric saw.

Here are my under £200 choices for a firewood saw

Electric - Husqvarna 321 EL

http://www.forestandarb.com/Husqvarna_321EL_Electric_Chainsaw.html?gclid=CNKX5MTM4LoCFSrJtAodyC4A1g

Petrol - Husqvarna 135

http://www.forestandarb.com/Husqvarna_135_Chainsaw.html

Seriously - don't buy anything but Husqy or Stihl - when you need a new air filter or chain tensioner screw (as I did this year), you have no chance of getting one unless its a proper make.

Red

Last edited:

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
If you are an occasional user then I'd suggest that you use Aspen 2T fuel rather than mixing your own 2 stroke fuel. Aspen will not go off in a week like homebrew 2-stroke fuel and you wont have the worry about getting your ratios correct.

chimpy leon

Jul 29, 2013
staffordshire
For non heavy duty use, the basic Stihl 181 is a cracking little saw that punches well above its weight when you equip the 12/14" bar. Dinky little pico chain chews wood suprisingly fast and sips petrol too.

I need one for myself.

Uilleachan

Aug 14, 2013
Northwest Scotland
If I was a saw novice I'd do the basic chainsaw course, you get taught by someone who has lots of experience and learn the basics for safe operation and handling, cross cutting and felling maintenance etc. You'd learn whats a safe cut and what amounts to death on a stick. You get a ticket at the end of it that you can then use should the forestry operator require such to let you loose on their forestry for cutting fire wood.

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
Looks like the same old arguments coming up again...

I have used a chainsaw on and off for light duties for some 10 years, never done a course, though I do have a lot of safety kit most of it never gets worn and amazingly I still have all my fingers and toes, two legs, two arms etc etc, I do wear a basic visor/ear defender when using it, but when standing on level ground in open space cutting logs into manageable lengths I don't use a helmet...I have yet to find a log that can jump up 8ft to be able to come down on my head.

As for type of saw, do you really need to have a "Professional" quality saw for cutting a few logs a few days every month or two, I bought my saw from Argos, it does the job I need it to do, though it is laid up at the moment as I don't have a wood burner or go out into the woods camping so it's in the shed, but I did use it a couple of years back and a little fettling and it worked after being idle for some 3 years.

I use a Spear and Jackson axe when I go camping in the woods, I don't need a fancy named "Professional" axe to cut a bit of fire wood, I have a knife I paid less than a tenner for on my belt for cutting "stuff"...Why pay more for a camping knife...

The important things in life don't have to cost a fortune... And you don't need to go on a "Course" to learn, why not just ask a local woodsman for guidance, worked for me...

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Employment statusSeverityYearTotal
2002/032003/042004/052005/062006/072007/082008/092009/102010/11p
EmployeeFatal injuries00400301210
Non-Fatal Major Injuries423041332431353044310
Over 3 day injuries 849268766991627868688
Total12612211310993125971091141008
Self EmployedFatal injuries1300110017
Non-Fatal Major Injuries5129766761371
Over 3 day injuries 53673354541
Total111815141010121019119
Member of the publicFatal injuries0000010012
Non fatal to MOPS127121324352548140
Total127121324362549142
TotalFatal injuries13401501419
Non-Fatal Major Injuries474250403037423657381
Over 3 day injuries 899574837294678273729
Non fatal to MOPS127121324352548140
Total1491471401361271711341231421269

Forestry and logging SIC and Forestry Occupation

jdodger

Oct 18, 2012
Gloucestershire
Im a certified Arborist and have been involved in tree work for the last 15 years and this is a subject I feel quite passionately about. A few threads down it was suggested a novice buy a top handled saw... really...?! No shop is allowed to sell a top handled climbing saw to anyone who hasnt passed CS 38,39 and top handled saws under no circumstances should be used on the ground... Ive seen an heard of so many accidents that happen from untrained operators an I even know of a guy who killed himself as he didn't know how to maintain a chainsaw an the chain came off severing an artery in his neck....! Its each to there own on this but even for a novice and new user I would recommend a basic maintenance and logging course. NPTC or lantra do some basic courses.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
British Red, I have a huge respect for you and what you do, but I feel strongly on this one too. Some things need licencing, others don't.

Do you want a free for all on pesticides, driving cars and bikes, firearms - oh and do HGV drivers really need a ticket?

I was only thinking of the OP, for the first 6 months of use the risk to occasional users is huge, and chainsaw accidents can be life changers and enders.

Personal freedoms aside I'd hate to see it happen again to anyone.

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
I was going to stay out of this, but there has been some good advice on here and also a bit that made my jaw drop!

Please please, get some training or at least some tuition from an experienced chainsaw user, as they BITE! Using a chainsaw without safety equipment is madness.

If you catch yourself with a moving chain, you will not look down and say phew! That was lucky, and wait until you are cutting logs on a pile and one flicks out and hits you in the shin! You will have to go for a short informal walkabout!

I have see some horrific injurys caused by a moving chain, and thats by men with untold experience.

Not try to pour water on your fireworks, but you must have someone who knows what they are doing show you the safest way forward, and there is a likelihood that they may well have picked up bad habits, so if you can afford it go on a proper course (it may well save your life!)

Good luck.

Ivan...

And a personal recommendation for a saw is a Sthil MS 171 or I8I...

Biker

Personally I'd get as much advice face to face with someone who is in the know, than ask something like this on an open forum.

As for Personal protection Equipment (PPE) it is the absolute LAST line of defense when using any cutting tool. PPE starts between your ears i.e. education and training. If you go into using one of those chainsaws uneducated, and by your own admission you say you don't have a clue about them, then you really do risk life, limb and testicles. I am not kidding here or being a scaremonger.

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Personally I'd get as much advice face to face with someone who is in the know, than ask something like this on an open forum.

As for Personal protection Equipment (PPE) it is the absolute LAST line of defense when using any cutting tool. PPE starts between your ears i.e. education and training. If you go into using one of those chainsaws uneducated, and by your own admission you say you don't have a clue about them, then you really do risk life, limb and testicles. I am not kidding here or being a scaremonger.

Well said.

I think a chainsaw is overkill unless you have a lot of large logs to cut. A good quality bowsaw (bahco are good) with a good blade will cut up to 6" logs so fast you'll spend more time stacking the wood than cutting (ok, that is a slight exaggeration).

I've met someone who didn't take his chainsaw seriously. He could feed himself, but not a lot else. Big groove in his forehead and scrambled brains behind it. Chainsaw kicked back and hit him in the head.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
British Red, I have a huge respect for you and what you do, but I feel strongly on this one too. Some things need licencing, others don't.

Do you want a free for all on pesticides, driving cars and bikes, firearms - oh and do HGV drivers really need a ticket?

I was only thinking of the OP, for the first 6 months of use the risk to occasional users is huge, and chainsaw accidents can be life changers and enders.

Personal freedoms aside I'd hate to see it happen again to anyone.

On my land Goatboy I don't need a licence to use many pesticides, or to operate a vehicle come to that - and that's my point. People should have the right to do what they like up to the point that it affects others.

The advice given to use PPE, and to get training is excellent advice - and that's where it should stay - advice. A scheme of regulation would make it extremely difficult for many smallholders and self sufficiency types to keep going. I have been using chainsaws for decades, I don't do tree surgeon work, I prepare my own firewood to enable me to live a life I choose to. What you are suggesting is that I should be forced to stop since I have not done a course. Over regulation is huge curse - just look at all the axe injuries on this forum alone - I'm sure a similar case could be made for axe safety courses....or quad bike safety courses...

Life is full of risks - people should learn to assess them an act safely - not be molly coddled into a cotton wool wrapped urban lifestyle because we have regulated rural dwellers out of existence.

stuey

Sep 13, 2011
High Peak
www.arb-tek.co.uk
Chainsaw kicked back and hit him in the head.

And its for that reason that it is strongly recommended to wear a hard hat with visor (and ear protection) when using a chainsaw whether using on the ground or otherwise.

Everything I would advise has been said already but just to re-inforce the point:

Get some training to use and most importantly maintain the saw either from a professional saw user or from a training provider.

Get the correct PPE and wear it.

If you are logging, chainsaw protective chaps can be a little cheaper than proper chainsaw trousers.

Don't skimp by not buying chainsaw protective boots especially if you intend logging on both the ground and on a saw horse.

Bash hat with visor and ear protectors.

They are not forgiving machines to use when things go wrong.
I owned an Arb contracting firm for 12 years employing 5 chaps full time. As a company we had two cut incidents in those twelve years both caused by sloppy habits by the same guy. He went back for refresher training each time. His ppe saved him from serious injury. The bottom line is the cuts should never have happened.
There is only so much training can do. The process relies on people acting like grown-ups. Some kind of training or familiarisation will go a long way to ensuring you are a safe user both to you and those around you.

Get trained.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE