Chaga

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I love the stuff, drink tea made from it regularly. Haven't yet met anyone whos tried it and didn't like it TBH.

Hard to find in the UK though.

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
Thanks chaps, isnt that what I see on the side of Birch trees ? I see it all the time.

What you seeing all the time..

This..?
Picture1071_zpsd26af714.jpg

or this..?
chaga_zpseb8ebc08.jpg

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
Steve this is what I see.................

Chaga-Medicinal-Mushroom_zps4eb662dc.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Na Mate, That's just a Bracket Fugus..Not sure what kind though..Horseshoe or Artists conk..dont ask me the Latin..Horseyshoeis fungiosis.

Ps, you can use it for various things though. Making tea is one of them. Knife strop, plasters, tinder, are others.

Last edited:

JAG009

Sep 20, 2010
Under your floor
Only the bottom one i'm afraid. Had me fooled also until i got closer and tried to break a piece off. Just a good old fashioned Burl...Make a nice kuksa though.

Really ! the one in the centre of the top pick looks like a burl, but the top left and middle left look like chaga , just the pick then ... would have fooled me ..but then again that's not hard !!.....:lmao:

JAG009

Sep 20, 2010
Under your floor
Ps, you can use it for various things though. Making tea is one of them. Knife strop, plasters, tinder, are others.

Tea from horse's hoof fungus is a no no as far as I know ......birch polypore tea your thinking of ....and for plasters,,knife strop

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
Really ! the one in the centre of the top pick looks like a burl, but the top left and middle left look like chaga , just the pick then ... would have fooled me ..but then again that's not hard !!.....:lmao:
I guess it's about getting your eye in...Black as Coal is Chaga. Never found any myself so dont know how hard it is to remove, saw a few videos and it looks like chaga comes off pretty easily, but i do know you need a saw or a lump of C4 to remove a Burl. :lmao:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I dye with fomes, it's a decent green with copper, but I did try it as tea……stick with the Tetley :D

Piptoporus betulina (the razorstrop) makes truly excellent plasters, and it too will sustain an ember, sort of, it's not as good as the Devil's hoof nail. Chewing a piece of it is like sooking a germolene soaked bit of polystyrene :rolleyes: but it is reputed to both ease a sore throat and to kill hunger pangs.

Chaga does grow in the UK, we all know it grows in the UK, but it's relatively rare here. It's also under threat from commercial pickers who get paid buttons by folks who sell it on for pounds per gram…..£18 for 50g on Amazon….the folks who collect it for them get paid about £10 a kilo…..now work out the profit on that… or better yet from a supplier of survival kits and the like £6.45 for 10g of powder….that's the dust we get when we saw up a lump.

There is a quiet (well it has been so far, but I'm fed up of the rip off prices getting free reign) network among us that will supply quality chaga to those of our own who need it. It's a traditional anti-cancer tea. It doesn't cure, but it seems to help those suffering chemotherapy or recovering from surgery, etc.,
There are enough of us who know where to find the fungus, and who will quietly and without fuss provide it for as long as necessary, and we do it in the certain knowledge that others among us went out of their way to help in any way they could when folks in our families were ill with that curse of a disease.

Those who are profiteering from collecting the native fungus can just damned well cough up and pay the prices to import it from countries where it is very common. It's actually relatively cheap to import from both Northern Europe and Northern America. $50 or so for 1lb for 'high' quality….about 75p for 10g, as opposed to those extortionate UK prices.

I think that's enough profit for anyone, don't you ? but then, I don't sell chaga.

Anyway, rant over :) and I'll go and be good. Put the kettle on.

M

Monikieman

Jun 17, 2013
Monikie, Angus
Mary. In my chagga research I discovered the 'don't sell it' ethos and I've stuck by it. I also seem to be working more on karma these days for some reason.

I've made chaga coffee/tea/coffee as I'm not really sure which one it tasted like once prepared?

Some of the conks can be knocked off by hand and I 'think' that the material nearer the trunk of the tree is better for firelighting. I did offer some chagga as a trade about a year ago and only got one reply. Hey-ho that's the way it goes.

I've found some local to me but in no great abundance.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE