Central Scotland Meetup: Brownlee, Feb 2006

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Dates, 3rd, 4th & 5th February 2006.
Brownlee Woods, Clyde valley, Lanarkshire.
Please see this link for directions

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/community/showthread.php?t=9375

I've just spoken with Mike Brady, the Countryside Ranger involved, and he has
has kindly agreed to organise the access from the upper gateway so we can get cars safely off road, that side of the river as well.

Not all of us are familiar with these woodlands so a bit of a recce over the weekend would be a good idea, see what needs done over time, and since it's a site we intend to use in the future, maybe some 'infrastructure' work, i.e. hearth, oven, and latrine area could be done too.
By that I mean that I'd prefer that we don't leave anything that would be noticeable, unless you were specifically looking for it, on site.

Otherwise, the weekend's ours, what would you like to do?

George has suggested a discussion on tanning......we can get rabbit easily enough, deerskin takes a while......any other ideas?

Cheers,
Toddy

stevo

Tenderfoot
Jun 5, 2005
Scotland
Since I was unable to make it to the last meet up, I would definately like to get involved in this one.

How do these things work, is it a free for all, is there a structure? Is it a case that if people have something they think they can contribute, then they do a wee presentation, or....well.......whats the deal?

Tanning sounds good........what about some nature obsevation games, and some tracking, mostly sign tracking I would assume!!

Stevo

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
stevo said:
Since I was unable to make it to the last meet up, I would definately like to get involved in this one.

How do these things work, is it a free for all, is there a structure? Is it a case that if people have something they think they can contribute, then they do a wee presentation, or....well.......whats the deal?

Tanning sounds good........what about some nature obsevation games, and some tracking, mostly sign tracking I would assume!!

Stevo

Hi Stevo,
Well.......so far bushcraft meetups have been non-hierarchical, consensus led and quite laid back. :D
Generally one person has made contact with land owners, responsible bodies etc, sorts out any fees required, etc., but the onus on keeping and leaving sites in good order falls on everyone who visits. It's considered courteous though to seek out the person who did the organising and introduce yourself.
*Structured* days haven't really happened, if you bring something along that you'd like to show/ demonstrate/ teach, there'll be someone who interested in what you're doing and it kind of grows from there :)
Usually some kind of barter table is organised, (the barter can be cash ) but many are just happy to see what's about, and it's amazing what excess stuff, that turns out to be someone else's good thing/ just what they were looking for, moves around.
The use of the Brownlee site isn't costing us anything, there is hope though that we'll clear out brush wood and take down some overly invasive young trees as part of our activities, but that's going to be *such* ;) a hardship, since we've got the use the stuff up too. There's no rush, the aim is a regeneration of the woodland as part of the wider upper Clyde valley ancient woodland, and our involvement counts as community access, so everyone's happy.

There are a couple of folks who may need lifts from train stations, if you do, please post details of where you can get to, I'm sure there'll be pick ups available :)

Looking forward to the weekend.
Cheers,
Toddy

stevo

Tenderfoot
Jun 5, 2005
Scotland
Well thanks Toddy.......I'm definately up for it......

I would need some help on the transport front......as far as I can gather Lanark train station is the closest point of public transport....is is? I can definately get there if anyone would be willing to pick me up.....Alternatively I am in Edinurgh, so if anyone is leaving from there...maybe I could bunk a life from here. If is only 20 mins in the car from lanark train station.......is a long walk not out of the question if all else fails, I'm up for it?

cheers, steven

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
3rd, 4th and 5th? Like, Thursday, Friday, Saturday? Kinda inconvenient for us desk jockeys... :(

Still, it is early Feb and I have a heck of a time just getting out of bed... ;)

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
D'Oh! Guess who can't read a calendar... ;) Will need to check availability, but could be on for it. :)

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
i've made one already :D
also, it's a bit of a walk from lanark to the brownlee and it's along aroad i wouldn't like to walk (very dangerous for pedestrians). i try to get a lift if i were you.

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
Its now in my diary!

(There may have been other things in my diary, but the words Scottish Meet in indelible marker pen now blocks them out :D )

Oh, and what is a 'Wayland Chain' ? :confused: :eek: This is BCUK, not BDSM :p

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Should be there, probably with one or two sons. Might not stay overnight if too cold for their sleeping bags.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
looks like it.
as for the wayland chain, thats about 18" of brass chain with a hook at each end for suspending a pot from an improvised tripod over a fire. as used by wayland at the last meet.

CraigM9

Tenderfoot
Aug 14, 2005
Clackmannanshire Scotland
Hi Toddy,

Can I confirm my attendance for the 4th and 5th - cheers. Looking forward to it!

Craig.

PS. John: Ref 'The Wayland Chain' - I went straight to B & Q from Plean, best £1.05 I spent!

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
well i've booked my lift :D
my parents live in lanark so i'm parking my car there and getting a lift to the woods. mainly to save on parking (also it'll reduce the amount of kit i take along)

Reactions: morch

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
I hope to make it, thats if the boss gives me the weekend off :rolleyes: so hears hoping!

I also got the Wayland chain from B&Q, got 2 meters and 2 s bend hooks.
:27:don't tell anyone but the guy at the checkout made a c**k up and only charged me for 1meter. :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE