Central Scotland Meetup: Brownlee, Feb 2006

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

warthog1981

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Fife
I would love to come to, will have to ask my boss nicley to get it off.
The closest i can get to is Lanark Train station :)

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
As last time, its probably a good idea to get an idea of what skills people can bring, and what skills people want to learn.

PM me anything you particularly want to learn about, or something you're good at or you've just learnt and want to show off :D and I'll draw up a list...

(before we start I'll assume that fire-starting/fire by friction, archery, hammock-hanging, wood/leatherwork and kit-comparing will feature highly as always :) )

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
match said:
As last time, its probably a good idea to get an idea of what skills people can bring, and what skills people want to learn.

PM me anything you particularly want to learn about, or something you're good at or you've just learnt and want to show off :D and I'll draw up a list...

(before we start I'll assume that fire-starting/fire by friction, archery, hammock-hanging, wood/leatherwork and kit-comparing will feature highly as always :) )

Oh excellent :) Can we have a play with the fire cord and the groove methods?
I'd like some basic cooking too, pot boilers and the like.

I've added some of the photos from Brownlee Woods from about a month ago to my photos page
http://www.seamstimeless.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk
Just click and they'll come up to size

Cheers,
Toddy

warthog1981

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Fife
i could bring a selectiong of steel traps that are still leagal to use to let people see ? do we need to carry all our own water cause im geting the train ?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
warthog1981 said:
do we need to carry all our own water cause im geting the train ?

Don't worry about it, I'll bring water but it'll need to be brought over from the car; I'll just use those big bottles with carrying handles. I use a platypus in my rucsac; I suggest you bring your own equivalent and I'll see that there's enough water available otherwise.
There is water on site, looks clean enough but it'd need to be Millbanked or filtered and boiled I suspect, just to be on the safe side.
Any idea about train times at Lanark for your arrival yet? If no one has offered a lift yet, do say, and someone will pick you up.
Is anyone else stuck? and is anyone interested in getting there on the Friday?
Cheers,
Toddy

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
I'd be interested in seeing legal traps - as this is an area I don't know much about.

I'll be bringing some water, but also a katadyn filter, so we can always get more if needed.

Toddy - Yes, I'm planning a lot more testing - fire plough and fire thong in particular, as well as the usual firebow for anyone who wants to learn. I'm impressed at how green everything still is, given those photos are mid-December - everything is surprisingly dead around here.. might be good for a bit of winter food-foraging :)

Oct 25, 2005
Hamilton
Hi all,

I've just been catching up on what you've all been saying on the thread. I'll bring a couple of cans along and run a 'workshop' on making drawing charcoal if peopel are interested. I'll also put a couple of 5 gallon water containers (full) in the car so there should be plenty of water for everyone and I'll also bring along a camping toilet that we use on forest School plus a few tarps, bow saws, loppers and a big 8 pint kettle.

I'll also print this off so I remember all of it.

Look forward to seeing you all there.

Mike :)

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
Very interested in the charcoal business... I'll have to look for stuff to swap.

Will there be further details about parking and location?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
. I'm impressed at how green everything still is, given those photos are mid-December - everything is surprisingly dead around here.. might be good for a bit of winter food-foraging :)[/QUOTE]

It's the river valley....it's always a bit milder round here, it's rich orchard and market garden land, fertile soils, good irrigation and well sheltered, and I think the woods face South too. There were certainly lots of fungi, etc., sprouting. The last visit though was freezing cold but beautiful.
I've got fresh nettles coming up, bitter cress and celandines are just poking through. Even the blackcurrant buds are swelling up and the primroses are already in bloom in my garden.
Cheers,
Toddy

warthog1981

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Fife
i can get to lanark friday 09:42 or 10:42 or 12:12 or 13:12 what time do you want me at ? ? ?
is there any flat spots for my two man ten ?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Aw shame, guys :( From my pm's it seems like a few more folk want to drop by, visit and chat but unlikely to stay over.

I'm just back from Brownlee, had a brilliant day; *finally* sussed out the Geography....don't laugh Graham..... I know I don't have any sense of direction :eek:

We found masses of fungi, three huge outcroppings of Oyster mushrooms, guess what's for dinner ;) ?

A huge ivy covered birch has come down over the path along the Garrion. If it's still there in February it's a good excuse to try out the ivy cordage stuff as well as using the branches/roots for hearth boards.

The ponds are starting to green up at the edges with new growth too. Looks like a fox got one of the swans, all that was left were wings and feathers. We saw the buzzards soaring over the Scots pines on the ridge & Fiona whistled for them, they drifted over to see....excellent :D

The long range weather forecast is for cold and dry, fingers crossed :)

Cheers,
Toddy

Oct 25, 2005
Hamilton
Hi Warthog,

I'm not sure how many people will be staying on Friday night (I'm staying on Saturday night only) but I can meet you at Lanark station and give you a lift to the site if you still want to stay.

Can you email me at work on mike.brady@southlanarkshire.gov.uk.

thanks

Mike

ps. After my last post it occurred to me that maybe I should have pointed out that I'm the Countryside Ranger who set this up with Toddy in case you were wondering.

Looking forward to seeing you all.

Mike

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Due to unforseen circumstances and changes of plan.... :rolleyes:
....I may be able to come along after all. :D

Mike, thanks for your aid in sorting access to this land. It's in a great spot, handy for many to get too.

Word of advice - edit your last post and take out the e-mail address. Folk can PM you and leaving your address there is just asking for some junk-mail engine to find it. I've got a couple of addresses that are virtualy unusable these days after putting them on open forums. :(

Big Geordie

Nomad
Jul 17, 2005
Bonny Scotland
We can't have a meet without Graham S!
Perhaps he will send us his Jordanian Herders Father Christmas Coat so we can sit it in his prime position at the fire.
He's quite a resource to do without.
Looking forward to seeing you all there Toddy I shall be there Friday (earlier if poss. The big city is getting to me.)
George :You_Rock_

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
awww blush.
it's nice to be missed.
unfortunatly my talents are needed elsewhere. a combination of work and other commitments.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE