CB radio's remember them?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
Any one here used to have one ?? for those too young to remember they were a 2 way radio that was very popular in the 70's and 80's . In some ways they were the forerunner of the Internet forums of today . All users would have a 'handle' or nick name used to identify themselves much as on forums today , i was known as 'fish' even back in those days my mum was known as 'green eyes' , i never 'met' a 'rubber duck' of the movie fame!
CB04.jpg

they had 40 channels on basic models channel 14 was universally accepted as the meet up point on the CB and you would use it to see if your mate or anyone you wanted to chat to was monitoring the channel or as we said 'had their ears on' ! once you had contacted then you would suggest a channel to go to to have a chat , if the channel was being used by some one else then you would simply say 'up one' ie meet up a channel . channel 19 was accepted worldwide as the channel for truckers ie the hgv's and using this channel was taboo unless you were talking to a trucker , on this channel truckers would alert other truckers to speed traps or other problem on the roads , again if you wanted to chat an alternative channel would be chosen . channel 9 was for emergencies only and each areas CB club would have dedicated monitors , this channel was used often for all manner of emergencies and then relayed to the BT 999 system for help .
cb3.jpg

In the early 1970's through to modern times the CB radios operating on the AM frequency were illegal and the whole AM scene was very underground and secretive , all the CB radios were imported from America via the continent . the task of enforcing this law was given to BT who had vans operating with direction finders to find and prosecute offenders , although i never actually knew of anyone who was caught it was a big worry to all operators whether home based or in a car . During those years BT ran an advertising campaign with a character that was a yellow bird that sat on a phone line called BUZBY , do you remember him? he was replaced by the some-what less lovable Bob Hoskins in the 80's .
busby20say20it___rs.jpg

well the nick name for the detector vans on the air became BUZBY after the yellow bird , if BUZBY was seen in an area the call would go out on channel 14 'eyeball eyeball BUZBY' and the air would go quiet for a couple of hours !
BTyellowVan.jpg

any one who made the call as a prank would be ostracized and on occasion i remember hearing that some teens getting a good pasting and cb's 'confiscated'for persistently making the call .

the mobile cb's ie those in vehicles were believed safer as they could move about but the 'home bases' were thought vulnerable to the BUZBY detector vans , some folk would go to extraordinary lengths to 'protect themselves , it was commonly believed that if the room the CB was in was clad in tin foil it would make it impossible for the detector vans to find! my mother actually did this to her bedroom and then put the then fashionable chip paper over the top!! another method was ta little box called a limiter , this enabled the operator to turn the power down to 1/4 of a watt and so make detection harder , draw back being range too was drastically reduced.

Shrouded in the necessary secrecy a whole vocabulary grew, the American based '10 codes' were used instead of some words 10-1 going to , 10-2 repeat ,10-4 meant yes , 10-10 goodbye 10-100 toilet , 10-200 was a play on 10-100 ie going for a poo! . there were also the less used '13 codes' these were mostly swear words or insults i cant remember many!

The CB radio's mostly transmitted using just 4 watts of energy which as enough to interrupt normal radio and television signals on nearby houses , this was called 'bleed over' , hence most CB activity was conducted at night when the TV had finished (as all 3 channels did back then after the national anthem!)

The distance the CB's could cover was relatively short ie 20 miles or so,some geographical features would get in the way ie big hills and so cause 'dead areas' , And so many mobile cb's would find good vantage points of an evening and chat to people in places they couldn't normally reach.In Salisbury where i lived there was 3 popular places , pepperbox hill ,a high hill off the A36 that afforded range to talk to folk in Southampton and Plymouth ,
cb5.jpg

the ski-jump an unfinished road to an unfinished multistory car park that over looked the whole cityand shaftesbury drove which was a very high drovers track that afforded range over blandford and bournemouth area .

most areas had a CB club , our local club was called the 'lighthouse breakers' , the light house was CB slang for Salisbury cathedral as at night its red light on top could be seen for miles.
cb4.jpg

also the club was a contact point for correspondence or the cards we had made up as calling cards to send to each other , the club had a P.O box for semi anonymous contact.Our calling cards varied and i only wish id kept mine, generally they were the size of a post card ,one side with a picture or design (forerunner of the avatar) and on the other details like channel used , watts used , location , date and brief message.
On occasion very long distance was possible , if the atmospheric conditions ( along with chatter was known as 'skip' ) were right you could chat to people far far away i remember one night mymother talking to a chap in Denmark , the conditions could last 30 seconds or rarely an hour. Usually the conditions happened around September each year , we would sit up into the wee hours listening to conversations of American farmers in their combined harvesters on the great plains .
cb7.jpg

A big change happened in the mid 1980's that was the first nail in the coffin for the CB community , the government under pressure from the ever growing popularity of the CB radio decided to make a legal alternative to the AM band radio , the new FM band , and with it a licence issued by BT available for £5.00 a year from the post office . CB was now open to the masses and FM radios could be bought in the common electronics stores of the time one of which was 'TANDY'. the sense of community lasted for a few years but being open to everyone that could fin a fiver an ever bigger riff raff showed their ugly heads . the clubs went into decline and because of the nonsense many gave up their CB's all together and some returned to the AM band , cheaply too as the market was a flood with unwanted AM 'rigs'.

the final death knoll of the CB was the mobile phone
cb9.jpg

as more cheaper tariffs and smaller phones became available so folk made them their choice. later the Internet forums would take the Cb's place as it was more convenient , had a range of anywhere in the world and was capable of so much more.
cb10.jpg

Still today there are a few CB users out there , but turn on any CB am or FM and its like an empty room devoid of furnishings with only memories left of the people .

Often i wonder where the old lighthouse breakers are now , bear , van-man , batman , old mother Bradly , kempy , and so many i cant remember.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
I remember in our area, instead of calling "14 for a copy" the call was "4 teas an' a coffee".

Think Scots accent...ach I suppose you had to be there.:)

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
My Dad was a coach driver & had a CB fitted. He bought me a handheld beast of a thing to talk to him when he was on his way home.

Sadly, range limitations meant he was usually parking up at the bottom of the street before he got hold of me. My handle back then was "Herne" as in the Hunter (You have to remember that Robin Hood was on every Saturday and even back then I liked the outdoor life (I still have a soft spot for Clannad too!:rolleyes: )

I still use 2 way radios, but have moved on to Motarola sets, for co-ordinating D of E expeditions and letting my kids explore campsites etc alone.

Simon

Tiger Eyes

Dec 3, 2007
Norfolk
My handle was Tiger Eyes (Hmmm where did my user name come from).
Me and my man met throught the CB so they have a lot to answer for lol.

stooboy

Settler
Apr 30, 2008
Fife, Scotland
A lot of my mates who work on tractors on farms have CB radios, not sure wether its am or FM frequency, it does have channels on it, I know they tend to use channel 7.

When i was a kid one of my mates dads was a real Radio Ham, huge aerials stuck out of the house everywhere, and he gave us a shot of a radio scanner that we listened to.

Its something that if I found at a car boot sale or such that id pick up to play around with. I dont think they are redundant quite yet.

phaserrifle

Nomad
Jun 16, 2008
South of England
dad still has a radio somewhere in the attic.
I took a look at it after hearing "convoy" by c.w. mccall on local radio, but never got interested enought to take it up. tried to use the lingo a couple of times on the two way radios used by my scout group, but had to keep on translating into "real english" (almost no-one could even get the hang of "over")

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
My Dad was into it - an insurance salesman at the time hence "supercover" whilst my Mum being an English teacher was "Alphabet" but she claims to have refused to speak on it.
They are still really popular in Poland as people, legally, use them to avoid traffic and speed traps.

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
i may buy one off flea bay just for a dabble,i suppose the fact that they can run on a 12v battert means they could be very handy in an emergency situation when all other forms of coms are down.

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
Now they are license free they are a good/more serious alternative to those crowded 8 channel things you get from Argos.

I had mine back in the 80's, handle......eerrr ArkAngel, from the 80's show "Airwolf" It is a deliberate miss spelling as the proper has religious overtones and i didn't want to get into an argument!

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Now that all brings back memories. I got my first rig in the 70's when I was in London in the Household Cavalry. It was a Midland 40 channel AM rig and I had it on the 36th floor of the big tower block in Hyde Park Barracks. I had a half wave dipole antenna with a mag mount clamped to a metal bed frame and I could get out for miles and miles.

Then I moved up to Catterick and upped my rig to a 120 channel USB, LSB, CW, FM, AM rig. Then it went legal and every kid in the country got one for christmas. That's when I went for my amateur radio licence.

Here's a song I wrote back then for the members of my CB club, the Dales Breakers.

One four for a copy, crank it back to me.
Have you got your ears on, on the old CB.
I just want to modulate, for a little while,
So buddy pick a window, and make a breaker smile.

That's just the chorus. There were twenty verses, all about different characters in the club.

My handle back then was Fotoman (cause I was into photography).

Great days, thanks for the trip down memory lane.

Eric

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Yep - still got 'em. Started when I was 13 with an old base-station and progressed to mobiles.

Recently got a Midland Alan 42 handheld - very good! Took it to Bavaria, Germany, last year and the skip was smokin'! Had UK breakers coming in loud and clear.

I've still got an old FM 40 channel vehicle fit and a HAM Jumbo Multimode but haven't used them recently as, although I have got the antenna bases, the whips are still at my dad's house! He was looking after them for me and thought he'd lost them - found them in the attic! I'll get them back in September.

I used to live in South Manchester and my handle was 'Green Goblin'. We used to talk a lot with blind people - loads of them had CB in those days as they could talk to people from their houses and didn't need to be able to see to operate the radios.

Happy days...

Now that the Amateur Radio license conditions have changed, I'm looking to do my amateur license when I get time.

firebreather

Settler
Jan 26, 2007
Manchester
I still have one but dont use it anymore as the bucket mouths get on my nerves. last time i turned it on it was non stop swearing for no other reason than to swear it wasnt even in conversation just swearing...........:( idiots.
I still use it when I am green laning like Eds said to keep in touch with the group and stuff but I turn if off as soon as I am off the lanes.

Greg

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
i remember the scariest thing was listening to the CND lot when they were chasing mobile nuclear weapons around , some times these live nuke scud-alikes were cruising the towns and villages near us , a mate of mine was on the rig listening and heard they were in his street he looked out the window and 2 were going down north street!

In Wood

Nomad
Oct 15, 2006
Leyland, Lancashire.
Yep, still got one and still use it.:D
Its fitted in the 4X4 and as said earlier use it when off road or on M/wy to find out whats ahead.

10-4 good bud, 10-10 till we do it again.:rolleyes:

crazyclimber

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 20, 2007
UK / Qatar
Wow fishfish, cheers, that brings back some memories!! I got my first set as a Christmas present, will never forget pulling the wrapping paper off and finding a radio and collapsed antenna there; ranks as prob my best xmas present ever I think :D Must have been 9 or 10 at the time, mid 90s. Then :lmao: there was the discovery that this girl I fancied sometimes used to be on the airwaves using her brother's CB... god only knows how many hours I sat out in the cold, alone in the cloakroom waiting for her to come on. My parents refused point blank to let me drill through my bedroom window to run some coax in! :rolleyes: I actually still have it, not set up now but I did turn it on a couple years back as much for the memories as anything else. Almost nobody was on though. One of these days I'll get round to getting my ham radio licence... big boys CB :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE