Cawl spoons

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

nic.

Forager
Mar 21, 2011
Mid Wales
Have been looking into welsh Cawl spoons recently; nice to start from a design that has origins in this country. Not copied directly from any but influenced by some seen at St Fagans and others made by my friend Andrew Jones. Made from a horrible piece of willow, on the larger one I had real difficulty getting the handle to cut without tearing out.

cawlspoonstop.jpg

cawlspoonsside.jpg

Last edited:

nic.

Forager
Mar 21, 2011
Mid Wales
No, its was part seasoned, fibrous enough to pull out the grain but not soft enough to cut cleanly. really nasty stuff.

Lyope

Tenderfoot
Sep 6, 2012
London
www.lyope.com
Nice work - with the octagonal handles, they look a bit like something Barn would make.

If you can carve a spoon out of something as nasty as that, you can carve one out of anything!

nic.

Forager
Mar 21, 2011
Mid Wales
Thanks, it was lovely and soft to carve a few months ago, what remains of the tree is destined for the woodburner now.

Mr Mac

Forager
Mar 25, 2009
Home.
Super work Nic.
After struggling through a piece of nasty wood it's always pleasing to come up with a result.
Laters mate... J

mikew

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 25, 2005
West Yorkshire
They are very fine looking, and they've given me some inspiration for tonights tea! The thrills of being a house husband :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE