Caught in the cross hairs

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Rubbish photo, pretty bird - made me smile though

2513681599_59c48b69b8_o.jpg

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Its a goldfinch - lovely looking things huh? I saw this one perching on the fence round one of the local vineyards.

I'm forever grateful to JonnyP for teaching me how to get them to come into the garden (nyjer seed is the trick)

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I wondered the same thing Switch - there's certainly something there. I am used to seeing finches eating seed so it could be pure coincidence

Red

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Am I seeing things or did you manage to capture it chasing some type of insect?

I doubt it, they are seed eaters. Looks like an insect though, doesn't it..
I was watching one outside the kitchen door pulling all the seeds out of a dandelion a few days ago..
Interesting shot that Red. Its good to see the gold of the wings. Often only seen as a quick glance as they fly past...

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Great pic Red, just as all your others have been. I do enjoy looking at them when you post a pic up.

I doubt it, they are seed eaters. Looks like an insect though, doesn't it..

Don't forget that a lot of birds, including those that are seed eaters, do chase down insects and the like this time of year as food for their nestlings. A place where I used to live had a hedge that every year in spring became infested with catepillars and I regularly saw goldfinches and other birds gathering them up in their bills and flying off with them.

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
I used to have a pet goldfinch. I know thats illegal but I found it on the road along with its dead nest mates. It was still bald and pink. I was suprised it survived me taking it home on my bike and even more surprised when it turned into a goldfinch, I had thought it was a sparrow. It lived eight years,from me being 14 to 22, unfortunatly i could never release it because one of its legs were crippled. They sing a beautiful liquid trilling and it had a noise for people entering the room and a slightly altered noise for people leaving.
Thought you might all like that story :)

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Great picture Red

The only thing that's been in my crosshairs this afternoon were a couple of nice fat woodies, it's gonna be a great bank holiday dinner, cooked up with a little rosemary i think :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE