Cats killing billions?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Hrumph, Hrumph! I like cats.

It's not cats in and of themselves that are the problem. If we actually controlled our cats the same as we control our dogs, there'd likely be no problems. Only allowed out when on a leash. All specimens neutered (or confined when in heat) unless we intend to deliberately breed.

But we don't do that and unlike dogs, cats are very successful hunters that go feral very quickly.

Dec 16, 2007
I think in Australia - any cat out after dark is shot!!! Owned or not!! They've decimated the small critter population over there. I'm a cat owner and I agree with that strategy !!!

Thats crap. I have 2 cats here and yes I have found there "Gifts" in the house but I keep them in a night and have bells on them but I rescued these cats as they had been dumped. I have also got them both spayed so they can not breed and If I see them in the garden stalking the parrots and cockatoos then the slingshot comes out and they get a well aimed marble in the **** hard enough to deter them from the bird but not hard enough to harm them.

northumbrian

Settler
Dec 25, 2009
newcastle upon tyne
We also know that of the millions of baby birds hatched each year, most will die before they reach breeding age. This is also quite natural, and each pair needs only to rear two young that survive to breeding age to replace themselves and maintain the population.
It is likely that most of the birds killed by cats would have died anyway from other causes before the next breeding season, so cats are unlikely to have a major impact on populations. If their predation was additional to these other causes of mortality, this might have a serious impact on bird populations.
Those bird species that have undergone the most serious population declines in the UK (such as skylarks, tree sparrows and corn buntings) rarely encounter cats, so cats cannot be causing their declines. Research shows that these declines are usually caused by habitat change or loss, particularly on farmland.

Claudiasboris

Life Member
Feb 8, 2009
Sheffield
What's your point?

My point is that before we start down the road of prosecuting cats for serial murder, maybe we should start a little closer to home. Let us also not forget who facilitated the cat's rise to the top of murder charts.

Is it a surprise that I have cats? They are all "done" though so they can't in crease the problem. And yes, I am their food slave ;p

Claudiasboris

wattsy

Native
Dec 10, 2009
Lincoln
my neighbours cat left a brown present in my garden last night my mum said get a shovel and throw it over the fence.

didn't help there's still cat poo in the garden and my neighbour's got my shovel now

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
my neighbours cat left a brown present in my garden last night my mum said get a shovel and throw it over the fence.

didn't help there's still cat poo in the garden and my neighbour's got my shovel now

Good to see that someone takes the temperature of his audience. :)

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
.....If I see them in the garden stalking the parrots and cockatoos then the slingshot comes out and they get a well aimed marble in the **** hard enough to deter them from the bird but not hard enough to harm them.

So thet do get shot. LOL

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
My point is that before we start down the road of prosecuting cats for serial murder, maybe we should start a little closer to home. Let us also not forget who facilitated the cat's rise to the top of murder charts.

Is it a surprise that I have cats? They are all "done" though so they can't in crease the problem. And yes, I am their food slave ;p

Claudiasboris

I'll concede most of your points. Except the one about serial murder. Again just what is the point? You referenced dometicated species as our (human) targets. It's unlikely we'll decimate any species we also deliberately breed.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I'll concede most of your points. Except the one about serial murder. Again just what is the point? You referenced dometicated species as our (human) targets. It's unlikely we'll decimate any species we also deliberately breed.

Actually we do a lot more than decimation....decimation refers to the killing of 10% (by the other 90%) as a punishment for cowardice in the legions

[/history nerd]

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Actually we do a lot more than decimation....decimation refers to the killing of 10% (by the other 90%) as a punishment for cowardice in the legions

[/history nerd]

Actually I knew that BR. From the Latin 'deci' meaning one tenth (as in DECImal) But that's not the way the word's used now unfortunately.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE