Cats killing billions?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
Jeez ! don't you lot ever get bored of repeating yourselves ?

We all know BR hates cats and will continually tell anyone unlucky or stupid enough to be within sight of a screen when he launches into another tirade.

Guy's ....get over it.

Well said that man....and based on Elen's statistics I think the 4 billion increase in the human population over the last 50years would have caused far more impact on the planet as a whole. Scarey to think what will be the outcome if humans continue to breed the way we are at present!

Last edited:

nuggets

Native
Jan 31, 2010
england
Why is it ringing in my ears that Cats actually do very little damage to bird populations? Remember it coming from a credible source? Was surprised my self.
Dont get me wrong certainly not a fan of the lovely little things. :AR15firin .. but rings a bell this, no pun intended.

proof please ?? a dead mouse on ya door step = a barn owl going hungry !!

nuggets

Native
Jan 31, 2010
england
Well said that man....and based on Elen's statistics I think the 4 billion increase in the human population over the last 50years would have caused far more impact on the planet as a whole. Scarey to think what will be the outcome if humans continue to breed the way we are at present!

so how many humans do ya know that kill birds and mice on a daily basis ???

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The last cat thread debunked this. It actually quoted the RSPB who admitted that they'd overestimated because they didn't actually know.

Folks, most of us are a bit fed up of the anti cat stories......could we maybe do an anti sheep one, just for a bit of a change ? or goats? do you know that the world wide population of goats has soared, and their incessant chomping has created the expanse that is the sahara and is effectively stripping the drier bits of the world ?
How about cattle ? their need to feed, to be turned into hamburger mush is wiping out vast acerages in S. America, to say nothing of Africa.

Dog dirt though..............see those cretins who bag it and then throw the bags into bushes and trees........I really want to redecorate their gardens with the nasty little offerings.

Okay, rant over. I'm going to put the kettle on :D
M

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
based on Elen's statistics I think the 4 billion increase in the human population over the last 50years would have caused far more impact on the planet as a whole. Scarey to think what will be the outcome if humans continue to breed the way we are at present!

You won't get any disagreement from me on that one. But its another thing that no-one is prepared to take any real action on

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
so how many humans do ya know that kill birds and mice on a daily basis ???

I think I said that they "would have caused far more impact on the planet as a whole" don't remember saying about them killing birds and mice but since you haven't mentioned specifics ie. songbirds, I guess the human race get through a fair few chickens daily, mice in the house tend to get killed (unless you are extremely tolerant) used to be in a pheasant syndicate myself up until a couple of years ago so have killed a few pheasants, ducks the occasional woodcock.....

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
You won't get any disagreement from me on that one. But its another thing that no-one is prepared to take any real action on

I have an idea that the Chinese may have tried to control the birth rate a little while ago by penalising couples having more than one child, I don't think it was a popular decision!

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I have an idea that the Chinese may have tried to control the birth rate a little while ago by penalising couples having more than one child, I don't think it was a popular decision!

I don't think it was either....I'm not sure ignoring the problem is the right thing to do either though :(

I guess it would become a political discussion and more than a little off topic (although interesting) to discuss it though

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
I don't think it was either....I'm not sure ignoring the problem is the right thing to do either though :(

I guess it would become a political discussion and more than a little off topic (although interesting) to discuss it though

I agree on all of those statements!

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I think I said that they "would have caused far more impact on the planet as a whole" don't remember saying about them killing birds and mice but since you haven't mentioned specifics ie. songbirds, I guess the human race get through a fair few chickens daily, mice in the house tend to get killed (unless you are extremely tolerant) used to be in a pheasant syndicate myself up until a couple of years ago so have killed a few pheasants, ducks the occasional woodcock.....

Yes but none of those species are endangered as a result are they?

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida

Yes and now they're reaping the "benefits?" Because of that policy the proportion of their population being senior citizens is rapidly increasing. More pensioners and fewer workering age.

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
Folks, most of us are a bit fed up of the anti cat stories......could we maybe do an anti sheep one, just for a bit of a change ? or goats? do you know that the world wide population of goats has soared, and their incessant chomping has created the expanse that is the sahara and is effectively stripping the drier bits of the world ?
How about cattle ? their need to feed, to be turned into hamburger mush is wiping out vast acerages in S. America, to say nothing of Africa.

Dog dirt though..............see those cretins who bag it and then throw the bags into bushes and trees........I really want to redecorate their gardens with the nasty little offerings.

M

You've made some very valid points. All creatures have their good and bad qualities, including humans:)
And antagonizing people over their choice of pets was not my intention. For the record, although I am a dog owner, I do actually like cats as well.
If this thread results in tempers flaring, please lock it before things get out of hand.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida

It can also be argued that since cats (at least the individual species we're discussing) is a "domesticated" animal, that any damage they do is also manmade damage. The species onl exists and spread throughout the world because of us.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE