Catch my Fish

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

moko

Forager
Apr 28, 2005
out there
Hi all,

Dads Day this Sunday means I get a few hours out on my sea kayak. To make things more interesting I'd like to run (tow) a line out from behind my kayak to see if I can catch anything. The snag is, I havent a clue what bait/lures and rig I need to use. I'll be on sea water, probably on a estuary in deepish water on the south coast ....I dont think I can get anymore vague.

Very grateful for any advice, ideas or just a good guess!

Moko.

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
Get either feathers or a mackerel spinner and some line and run the line about 20 meters with about 4 oz weight. Also get some swivels on the line, most tackle shops will have all the items, the swivels most important otherwise you will end up in a tangle. The next thing is to attach the line to your paddle near your hand and that will tell you when you get a bite but also secure it to the kayak as well. Finally tight lines and good fishing. :headbang:

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Hi Moko,

If you're going to an estuary it will probably have a sandy bottom and channels were the tide comes in. If you trawl along these channels you'll find some flounder and dabs. It maybe a good idea to take a look when the tide is out so you can identify where they are. A smallish Aberdeen hook with barbs on the shank (helps keep the worm covering the hook) or even better these http://www.gamefisherman.co.uk/ishop/1019/shopscr107.html and a couple of ounces weight with some ragworm or lugworm should do the trick you should be able to get everything including bait from the local tackle shop. School Bass often follow estuaries as the tide comes in and some small bass lures http://www.fishingbig.com/fishing_tackle/lures/bass_lures/should do the trick for those if you're trawling

Tight lines :D

moko

Forager
Apr 28, 2005
out there
A bit late in the day I know but thanks for all your advice. I appreciate it. :You_Rock_
Typical, my kids highjacked the day and I spent the day paddling them up and down a small nearby river in our canoe ....so no fishing. Plan to get out in the next day or so and if i catch anything you will all be the first to know!

Reactions: tomtom

benmatthews90

Oct 31, 2005
devon
if you use a spinning shiny lure and a medium sized hook the mackeral should go for it (maybe a bit of bait as well) and if you are lucky you may have a sea bass on the end although they fight like a b*tch and might bite through your line (so use a wire line at the end)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE