Cat saves boy from dog attack.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Funny and shocking at the same time. I hope that dog was destroyed and the owner got a good rollicking.

From that video, the dog wasn't vicuosly attacking. He was only playing. That said, the normal practice is for the dog to be labelled as aggressive and the owner required to keep it contained.

atlatlman

Settler
Dec 21, 2006
ipswich
From that video, the dog wasn't vicuosly attacking. He was only playing. That said, the normal practice is for the dog to be labelled as aggressive and the owner required to keep it contained.

The way that dog was stalking around that car it was in hunter mode. I think if the dog hadn't of been disturbed it would have dragged the boy off somewhere quiet and killed him.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
That dog was not playing. nothing playful about its behaviour, even to the point of circling behind the target. The cat wasn't defending territory, it was intervening in a fight with a larger predator, a dangerous thing for it to do. Anyone who thinks cats don't form bonds with humans doesn't know much about cats. They may not be as bright as a dog, or as social, but they are certainly not the antisocial loners that they are sometimes portrayed as.

This was a wonderful video to watch.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
That dog was not playing. nothing playful about its behaviour, even to the point of circling behind the target. ....

Yep. Circling around and wagging his tail. Then he grabbed at the ankle. Just like every dog I've ever owned played with me. The dog in the video was a bulldog. If he had really been attacking, he would have gone for the throat and both the kid and the cat would be dead. Nothing short of a bullet would have stopped him.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Cat fights off dog attacking boy (Video)
http://thechive.com/2014/05/14/cat-fights-off-dog-attacking-boy-video/

the dog should be destroyed. Have a look at the boys injuries. Nothing funny about that. It was an unprovoked attack.

Playing devils advocate here, in the video you posted, is it possible the wound shown at the end was added on from elsewhere?

to me what is nore worrying is that somebody thought it was more important to video it than intervene

As tom.moran has said, this is cctv footage pulled from a tape or drive after the event.

More on this story here.

"...She also said the dog belonged to a neighbour and is now under voluntary observation for two weeks at Bakersfield Animal Control.

The neighbour was pulling their vehicle out of their gated driveway when the dog escaped.

The neighbour called 911 on behalf of the boy and his mother...Sgt. Joe Grubbs, Bakersfield Police spokesman, said the dog will be quarantined for 10 days then euthanised...."

Last edited:

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
The dog ragged the kids leg , and stalked around the car. It is astounding what the cat did, it saved the child very serious injury. Wolves will disable prey by pulling down the legs then the boss grabs the top end to make the lethal wounds. Ragging a kids leg is not mistaken play, it is to floor the child before fu rther damage.

I dispair at just how laid back and lazy some dog owners are. I have lost count of the amount of unmuzzeled dogs I have walk past and they show frightening amounts of aggression. The owners seems really fine with their dogs behaviour.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
My Jack Russell got badly attacked by a guide dog for the blind yesterday. It pulled the blind lady over and just flew at my dog. I told her she should get a bloody muzzle on it.

Blaidd

Nomad
Jun 23, 2013
UK
Weird for the dog to do that without prior history, (assuming there wasn't). Thing is, right at the end, the mother goes off and leaves the kid alone, he jumps up scared and hurt and runs after her. Seems like I'd have grabbed the kid and run for the house to a phone, but maybe it didn't look to bad at the time. Trying to give her the benefit if the doubt.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE