Cast Iron and Backpacking?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BushEd

Nomad
Aug 24, 2009
Herts./Finland
Are these realistically two incompatible things??

Like, does anyone who walks to their sites carry a skillet, or worse still, the actual oven: which looks like it weighs about 5kg :O

if only iron didnt have that rustic, immortal charm!! :(

wentworth

Settler
Aug 16, 2004
Australia
I use ultralight gear... but I love cast iron so much that I have to admit I've been considering it for shorter walks.

malente

Life member
Jan 14, 2007
Germany
If you're Conan then it should be good...

Seriously, backpacking is a very broad term, and if you shave off ounces (pounds) off other stuff there's nothing from preventing you to take a cast iron oven with you...

You gotta think in szstem and if your system works for you, then thats all that matters!

Try it and keep us posted :)

ATB

Mike

Jaysurfer

Settler
Dec 18, 2008
Somerset, UK
It's not carrying the oven thats the problem! if you took out your trangia / gas burner and fuel it would counteract t weight!
the issue would be taking the food you would cook in it, u wouldn't use lightweight packet meals like walkers do...
and also extras for cleaning it cos the last thing you want to do is put a dirty cast iron pan in ur pack....

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
For mule trains, native porters or static camps okay.

For multiday trips on the move? No way.

He's right you know?

the heavy cast iron stuff is great for pack horse trips and the like.
In other words, at least in this country, you need a vehicle to carry that kind of gear.
If your on an extended canoe trip maybe?
otherwise its for fixed camps.

R.B.

BushEd

Nomad
Aug 24, 2009
Herts./Finland
It's not carrying the oven thats the problem! if you took out your trangia / gas burner and fuel it would counteract t weight!
the issue would be taking the food you would cook in it, u wouldn't use lightweight packet meals like walkers do...
and also extras for cleaning it cos the last thing you want to do is put a dirty cast iron pan in ur pack....

Very good point, saved me a wasteful purchase!! Many thanks

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England

Hi BushEd well my 2p's worth says that seasoned right cast iron is more non-stick than any teflon coated non-stick, for me the food out is part of the reason for going out in the first place
steakonions.jpg

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50475
ThornsGilldinner.jpg

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50231
but each to there own I've a "tour" planned maybe today if so I'll take more cast and post up some pictures
cheers Danny

Oblio13

Settler
Sep 24, 2008
New Hampshire
oblio13.blogspot.com
"Cast iron" and "backpacking" shouldn't be used in the same sentence. :0

If a pack weighs more than about 30 pounds, you can't enjoy the trek. You're just a human mule, looking at your footing and wondering how much farther it is.

Old-fashioned stamped steel pans are a good compromise. They become seasoned just like cast iron. The most recent pics on my blog are of a bannock cooked in one. They're still being made by at least one company in Mexico, but I've found several old ones at flea markets and yard sales.

ghillieman

Dec 21, 2009
netherlands
Hi BushEd well my 2p's worth says that seasoned right cast iron is more non-stick than any teflon coated non-stick, for me the food out is part of the reason for going out in the first place
steakonions.jpg

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50475
ThornsGilldinner.jpg

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50231
but each to there own I've a "tour" planned maybe today if so I'll take more cast and post up some pictures
cheers Danny

I like the idea of teddy, very nice way to show us your adventures, someone in Holland once stole a garden gnome ,he was a sailor in the navy and send pictures from the gnom from all over the world to the people who had owned the gnom.

Outdoorlife

Jan 31, 2013
United States
I do go backpacking with my cast iron skillet. I didn't want anyone to come across this post and decide that they shouldn't bring cast iron with them because a few other folks choose not to. Now, obviously if you're counting ounces you probably shouldn't be including this in your kit. If you don't do a lot of hiking or heavy lifting in your day to day life, you probably shouldn't include this in your kit. For my part, I live and work on the trail (doing trail building and maintenance) for 7 months out of the year. On a typical work hitch, going into the backwoods to work for 9 days, I might carry a 32 kg. (80 lbs.) pack 3 miles up a trail, doing a couple thousand feet of elevation gain. That is 60% of my body weight, mind you. So when my weekend comes around and I intend to hike several miles up a trail, gaining a couple thousand feet, I don't think twice about grabbing my 2.4 kg. (5.3 lbs) 10.25 inch Lodge cast iron skillet. I'll also bring a lid for it. I'll bring my own personal tent, rather than share one. I'll also bring bacon, eggs, chicken breasts, heavy cream, butter, flour, carrots, potatoes, onions, and other fine, heavy, ingredients to cook with for my gourmet trail cuisine.

One must know their priorities and why they go camping. I am willing to "rough it" when it comes to not having much gear or, conversely, carrying lots of weight. When it comes down to it, though, I am able to enjoy the challenging of lugging an almost impossible amount of weight up a mountain, arriving at camp drenched in my own sweat and feeling a bit light headed and dazed. I get off on it a bit. On the other hand, I am only able to tolerate having less a kit that is less than complete. Believe me, I've tried both extremes. I, for one, prefer to eat spectacular food, have my privacy, and generally live like a king in the outdoors. Maybe it would be different if I had a place to go home to with a stove, oven, fridge, running water, etc.

Admittedly, I am still keeping my eye out for an antique cast iron. Lodge skillets are beastly thick. They really weren't designed to leave the kitchen at home. You can find antique casties that are nearly half the thickness.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE