carving tool - knife advice

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

badgeringtim

Nomad
May 26, 2008
cambridge
Ive been keeping my eye out for a small knife for doing some more intricate carving work - nothing to special, just the tight curves on the neck of spoons and maybe some chip carving etc.
Ive seen a few small straight bladed tools, some in sets with differing angles on the blades (but mainly a flat blade around 100-200 mm).
Wondering if anyone has experience of them, i dont have a lot of money to spend on these things and for the main dont prescribe to the view that you get what you pay for - i have many good tools which are frankly cheap but hold a good edge etc, but i am a bit suspect of some of the £20 5 knife sets. Actually maybe i am more suspicious that can find em on amazon and ebay...?

So any ideas folks, gratefully received. ideally id love to see them before buying but in the absence of that a recommendation or informed decision would be a good start.

:)

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Hmmm just re read your post again, maybe they're not quite what you're looking

Would this be more suitable ?? Careful though, I've heard they bite :)

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
The tight curve at the neck of a spoon and chip carving are very different jobs. The perfect knife for carving a tight concave is a Del Stubbs regular sloyd http://www.pinewoodforge.com/catalog.html not cheap. FGYT here does something similar. Or you can use a frosts/mora 106, this has a very fine point which is what you need for concave areas, it is my favourite woodcarving knife and is cheap.

Chip carving is something else you can do it with a 106 but if you are doing a lot them you want a fine straight blade.

Last edited:

Whittler Kev

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
Hmmm just re read your post again, maybe they're not quite what you're looking

Would this be more suitable ?? Careful though, I've heard they bite :)
Second recommendation for a Carvin' Jack. I got mine of the forum for £50 second hand. Razor sharp out of the box. Be careful as they go through anything - including your fingers- like butter. After stropping (thats all you do to sharpen them) if they need a regrind, you can send them back to be done professionally. Sharpening instructions up on my blog

badgeringtim

Nomad
May 26, 2008
cambridge
re-reading my post i did notice the obvious error - the knives i mean are 10-20 mm in blade length, so an order of magnitude out there!

The Flexicut is way too much - even if i could find one at £50 like Kev you lucky lucky......

The 106 i like - and will probably be having another of this family - i drove past a sign for the village last time i was over but there wasnt time to go and drop in, apparently - i was not impressed... i still like the 137 too.

The sloyds look nice - and not hugely expensive all things considered but still a little rich for my blood,

i just found this page which might be interesting;
http://www.toolpost.co.uk/pages/Carving_Tools/Chip_Carving/chip_carving.html

i reckon a 312/1 and 312/3 look rather pleasing - note this wasn't a site i had found before i was looking for the examples i had seen and came across this!! but if anyone has experience of them please chip in... (yeah funnier in my head).

cheers

WoodMonkey

Jun 1, 2006
Berkshire
I have used the 'Carvin Jack' for a few years now and wouldn't be without it, great for fine work and with 6 blades covers most of your carving needs in one handy knife. You can also buy a 'Pocket Jack which has 4 blades' See http://www.woodlandedge.co.uk/flexcut.html
Worth wearing some finger protection as they as very sharp, I can vouch for that...Ouch !! :(

Del

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Pricewise, I think a Murphy carving knife is hard to beat. Once you polish up the bevels, they carve well and there's enough spine to make 'em a decent knife for chip carving.

murphy1b.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE