carving in public

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Hopefully not something to further alarm the public; swazticas, anarchy symbols, gang symbols, etc. LOL.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
You must be older than I am Hoodoo. Even back in the 60s knives were prohibited in public schools in rural Mississippi. However that prohibition was generally ignored by the time students reached 6th grade or so and unenforced by the faculty.

I graduated from HS in 1969 in Indiana and no such restriction on pocket knives existed that I ever heard of. The issue just never came up. If it was law, certainly no one ever enforced it. Switchblades, though, have been illegal for as long as I can recall. However, in 1969, long hair, bell bottom pants, and wearing medallions were not allowed in school. :lmao: That changed in 1970 though. :lmao:

I grew up in a community where kids sharpened their pencils and peeled their apples with a pocket knife. Just the way it was.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have always carried a pocket knife - since I was given my first one when I was about eight.
I carried and used a knife all through school (often very elegant ones but usually something a bit rough like a well used opinel) and never had anyone query it.
I am often seen around the village with a knife - no hassle...

Wook

Settler
Jun 24, 2012
Angus, Scotland
Unless it was one of the little 1 inchers that don't lock, opinels are classed as illegal for edc.

It's a stupid law, but the law nonetheless. My dad often carries an opinel -I just hope if he ever gets stopped it is a cop with an ounce of sense not looking to meet an arrest quota. He's obviously no threat to anyone.

Mad Mike

Nomad
Nov 25, 2005
Maidstone
Unless it was one of the little 1 inchers that don't lock, opinels are classed as illegal for edc.

:( Oh heck I thought a number 5 or even a number 6 with the locking collar removed was OK :(

Mike

Mind you there are only 2 reasons you will be arrested

1. getting caught doing something wrong

2. annoying the police so much that they find a reason to arrest you (there's always something)

Last edited:

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
What did you Carve Robin?

I carved spoons. I rough carve spoons whilst green, let them dry then finish and it was dry blanks I took with me so no axe work and just small fine cuts, not too much mess.
My daughter regularly practices her craft in public and it involves the use of 12" long pointed tools (knitting needles).

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Lovely, I think any kind of reaction is down to 90% circumstance 10% fudge factor. It would be great to happen across some chap like your self craving away in a town centre, park, bus stop or waiting room.

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
My mate Barn the spoon regularly carves in public. In fact that is what he does for a living, he sits on his back pack in town looking much like a homeless person except he is carving and selling spoons. He had to get a pedlars license to street sell. Then he wanders off into the local woods to pitch up for the night, rough out a few blanks then in to town the next day. This is his blog http://barnthespoon.blogspot.co.uk/

Wook

Settler
Jun 24, 2012
Angus, Scotland
:( Oh heck I thought a number 5 or even a number 6 with the locking collar removed was OK :(

Mike

Mind you there are only 2 reasons you will be arrested

1. getting caught doing something wrong

2. annoying the police so much that they find a reason to arrest you (there's always something)

If the blade is under 3 inches and non-locking you're OK. Most of the Opinel range do not meet this criteria. You also have to be careful with Opinels even without the locking ring because they are not held closed by a spring.

There are rumours about police trying very hard to get otherwise legal folders to open with a stout flick of the wrist. If they suceed, they arrest you for an illegal gravity knife.

Last edited:

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Yeah right! Oh the dreadful public. Lots of you must live in weird areas of the country where anybody actually bothers what other people are doing. Or is the Martyr syndrome a part of bushcrafting that I have missed? Just keep doing it, whatever it is, if it's legal. The definition of that is that which is not prohibited is legal and that which is permitted by statute is legal.

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
ive been carving in public for a while,often at the park after i pick the kids up from school,ive never had any problems with folk,usually they are very intrested.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I often carve when i'm at the park with the kids, or taking a break somewhere, carve at friends houses sitting on the front steps, or sit on the bonnet of the landy, it's a great feeling of freedom (not in a political sense) I'd not do it in the middle of manchester unless i had a small cheap folder but I'm in West Wales so there's quite a bit of freedom.

Vickyjs

Tenderfoot
Sep 18, 2008
Devon
I often carve in public. My husband and son surf so sitting at the beach can be a very very loooong and boring exercise. I often axe out spoons sitting by my van and then finish them off sitting on the beach. No one has ever complained or challenged me. Often people are interested (and I might even try to sell them a spoon). I'm used to carving with kids running around me. If a child gets too interested in the knives I pop them in a bag and close the zip and just wait until they wander off. I never walk around with my knife, I only carve sitting down usually on the ground so no one could ever say I had gone and threatened them.

I don't see my knives as an offensive weapon they are the equipment needed for my hobby, I deal with more injuries in a year caused by people being hit by surfboards than I do cuts from knives!

Perhaps I don't get challenged because I'm a mum with a little kid in tow?

I did wonder when I first came across Barn's blog, wether there was an issue with sitting carving in public but he seems to get away with it quite well so I shall carry too. I think it is inspiring to see people making things.

I was working with a group of kids the other week and we were doing some whittling and one boy who was eleven said "I wish I had a mum who does stuff like this - it's so cool" - to my sons I am, of course, just plain embarrassing!!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I often carve when i'm at the park with the kids, or taking a break somewhere, carve at friends houses sitting on the front steps, or sit on the bonnet of the landy, it's a great feeling of freedom (not in a political sense) I'd not do it in the middle of manchester unless i had a small cheap folder but I'm in West Wales so there's quite a bit of freedom.
It is getting worse Tony - I actually saw a real Polceman last week - in Llandysul!
First one I have seen anywhere in the past couple of months....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE