Lord of the Rings Themed Spoon

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
Can I just check that you understand how cutting the grain of the wood is going to influence the cutting direction? I don't wish to patronise but if you don't know then I can sort something to illustrate it.

Looking at those pictures, it looks like you're trying to take too much wood out at once on some of the cuts and also going in the wrong direction for other cuts. With the right technique I think you could clean that up quite nicely.

Also, what state is your knife blade in? If you run the edge along your thumb nail does it bite all the way or does it skate off at any point?
No, I'm not sure I do entirely. I think I've been cutting one way and then the other. Care to explain it a bit more, friend?

The state of my knife is such that I can still slice paper, so it's still sharp, no?

Last edited:

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
Looking at the video,
1. Your spoon knife is blunt, it seems to be scraping the wood out of the bowl, not cutting.
2. Your technique is dangerous,
3. You seem to be trying to take too much wood off at once.

1. Sharpen your tools, strop as well, blunt tools make it harder to work and are dangerous.
2. Cut away from anything you don't want to lose. Severed tendons are not funny.
3. When you're carving, less is more. If you don't want tool marks on the finished piece, shave off more smaller cuts, not less large ones.

Baelfore

Life Member
Jan 22, 2013
Ireland
First off that's a really awesome spoon. very unique!

The problem your having with the bowl is exactly the problem I was having during the summer. after i gave my spoon knife a good sharpening i stopped having this problem.

As others have said and I have only learned recently, if you make much smaller cuts you tend to have lees of those nicks and bumps.

don't know if either of these are the issue but hope this helps

Ste

P.s. AlWAYS cut away from yourself! :p

wattsy

Native
Dec 10, 2009
Lincoln
you can cut towards yourself no problem you just have to make sure you do it in such a way that you can't cut yourself, this video shows it quite well http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2YwcyNlReI

make sure your tools are as sharp as you can get them and make lots of little cuts until you get more experienced, also I find it helps if you avoid carving 'uphill'

cheers

Matt

Baelfore

Life Member
Jan 22, 2013
Ireland
you can cut towards yourself no problem you just have to make sure you do it in such a way that you can't cut yourself, this video shows it quite well http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2YwcyNlReI

make sure your tools are as sharp as you can get them and make lots of little cuts until you get more experienced, also I find it helps if you avoid carving 'uphill'

cheers

Matt

just wanted to point out that in my (very small amount!) experience, using your thumb as a stopper(?) for the knife coming down towards your hand (hope this makes sense) does not mean that you can't cut yourself, having used this technique and ended up with the point of my carver lodged in my hand after my thumb slipped. :stretcher:

I have only been carving for a year or so, so will bow down to those with more wisdom just my two pence worth.:p

Ste

wattsy

Native
Dec 10, 2009
Lincoln
watch his knuckles he literally can't cut himself because his knuckles impact before the knife gets near his skin

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
No, I'm not sure I do entirely. I think I've been cutting one way and then the other. Care to explain it a bit more, friend?

The state of my knife is such that I can still slice paper, so it's still sharp, no?

Ok, see if this helps:

[video=youtube;TYslcfqhblk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYslcfqhblk&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Thanks for the video, Stew. Did you make this yourself? I appreciate it very much if so. It's very well presented.

I did make it, specific for this thread. Glad it made sense. Would have been harder to do in just text and pictures. You're lucky I did a gfew takes - had my kids around and one was honking a horn throughout on one!

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
Funny it didn't show up first time I looked back through the thread, great video explains a lot.

Sent from somewhere?

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
Having taken a break from the spoon and letting it dry, and watching Stew's video, I went back to it with gentle shavings, clearing off most of the ridges from the opposite direction and it seems to have neatened up the spoon quite a bit. It's flatter, anyway and I'm happy with it, aside from a couple of ridges that are actually a part of the wood that I can't remove for some reason. I still can't get it completely flush though. What I mean by that is in certain light conditions you can see the knife marks. I'd like it all to be on the same plane, but is that even possible? I'm fine with it as it is, but I'm just wondering if I can make it neater.

Thanks.

Edit: And also, is there any difference in apply oiling to a tooled finish or can I just go ahead and put some on? Would like to know if tooled implements are different to sanded in any way.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE