Lord of the Rings Themed Spoon

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh

I don't believe there is any difference to the oiling, maybe just users preference.. the pic is of a spoon that was sanded, then oiled (then used) and the cup wasn't sanded, then oiled and used.. both going well after some years, so it doesn't seem to matter. I'd give both a go with spoons and see how you like them in use..

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
Here's some pictures of its neatened form. I'm hesitant to oil it because I feel like there's almost something else I can fix. The "problem" is the tool marks. Is there any way to get rid of them or is that just the nature of tooled finish? As I said before, I'd like all surfaces to be planar. You can see I've neatened it up quite a bit and spent quite a bit of time trying to get the surface flat, and it is, but it's just those tool marks in certain light conditions that's bugging me. Perfectly fine if I'm not able to get them away. Just wondering if there's a special technique to remove them. Also, the bit circled in green is part of the grain, not a fault of my own.

kJRU9hN.jpg

:)

Last edited:

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I think that looks fine..........It's wood, and you have to come to terms with the nature of the material with which you're working. If I wanted a spoon as smooth as you seem to aspire to I'd be using stainless steel or some other material suited by it's nature to that degree of smoothness of surface. Those tool marks are what gives a wooden artifact it's character, and remember that it will also smooth and "weather" in use. I'd be very happy with that, were I in your place! :)

Oiling is exactly the same process in either case, tooled or sanded.

I'd get on and make another spoon (or something else), and you'll be surprised how your attitude towards this one will change; you'll gain a different and more objective perspective.................

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
I think that looks fine..........It's wood, and you have to come to terms with the nature of the material with which you're working. If I wanted a spoon as smooth as you seem to aspire to I'd be using stainless steel or some other material suited by it's nature to that degree of smoothness of surface. Those tool marks are what gives a wooden artifact it's character, and remember that it will also smooth and "weather" in use. I'd be very happy with that, were I in your place! :)

Oiling is exactly the same process in either case, tooled or sanded.

I'd get on and make another spoon (or something else), and you'll be surprised how your attitude towards this one will change; you'll gain a different and more objective perspective.................
Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy with this and I've learnt a lot making it. I believe I've just seen some very smooth looking surfaces on tooled carvings, smoother than my spoon. I don't know, I just tried to achieve the same effect. But I'm fine to leave this as it is.

On to the oiling!

Edit: And I read somewhere that tooled finishes don't get fuzzy after washing. Correct?

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy with this and I've learnt a lot making it. I believe I've just seen some very smooth looking surfaces on tooled carvings, smoother than my spoon. I don't know, I just tried to achieve the same effect. But I'm fine to leave this as it is.

On to the oiling!

Edit: And I read somewhere that tooled finishes don't get fuzzy after washing. Correct?

Those spoons you've seen, probably people who have done thousands of tooled finishes- you'll never get the same effect trying it for the first time, they don't go weird after washing either.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Correct, tooled finishes dont get fuzzy at all, they just keep on "weathering" with use............and get smoother all the while!

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
Good job, turned out well :) Would be good to see it after it's been oiled, should bring it to life nicely.

Cheers, Paul

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
I'm proud to present my Lord of the Rings spoon, oiled and adorned with the Eye. :)

QoNpbIi.jpg

AxP3BxP.jpg

This is my first Sycamore spoon, and it's a pretty white/blonde wood, isn't it? Despite the amount of coats I put on it doesn't seem to have a lot of grain at all.

I hope you like it.

Thanks very much.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE