carved another woodspirit today

Arya

Settler
May 15, 2013
Norway
hello Arya, not sure if your comment was aimed at me or Paddytray, but i will answer for my part. the cherry branch has already been cut down as part of a maintenance plan at North Wood where we meet. if the carvings i do were cut into a living tree, yes it would severely affect growth or even die, that is something i would not do. :)

Yes that one was for you. And thank you for the info! I know nothing about woodcarving, so I have to ask :)

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
ha! probably not the best plan eh? :D but very magnanimous of you to try and remember given the circumstances!

trying to imagine what you described, i assume there would be a gap between the glass and frame to allow reflection? hmm perhaps not, sorry to appear a bit dim. :)
Because it was debarked roots & branches as well as driftwood there was a bit of depth to the pieces of wood, so it projected forwards, and although some carvings faced you directly others were facing the mirror and could only be seen by looking into it.

They were both nice folk but distance and time meant we didn't keep up. Great artist though.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
mirror.jpg
Driftwood/root/branch frame sticks out from the mirror, some carvings face you from the surface, but the fairies/woodspirits are facing the mirror and can only be seen in reflection. Please excuse drawing, done with mouse pad as I left my mouse out in the car.

Would like to have kept up with them as they were both lovely folk but we just drifted and after 7 years may seem a bit strange. He was a fantastic artist though.

Cheers,
GB.

woodspirits

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com
how long did it take to do? also what have you used to give it a sheen, a varnish?

hi, it took about 2 hours then a little bit of finishing, the sheen is a coat of linseed oil just applied. :)

mirror.jpg
Driftwood/root/branch frame sticks out from the mirror, some carvings face you from the surface, but the fairies/woodspirits are facing the mirror and can only be seen in reflection. Please excuse drawing, done with mouse pad as I left my mouse out in the car.

Would like to have kept up with them as they were both lovely folk but we just drifted and after 7 years may seem a bit strange. He was a fantastic artist though.

Cheers,
GB.

yep got it now, i thought it might be along those lines, cheers GB. :D

Woodspirits - Thanks for confirming the Cherry - must be the first time I got a wood identification right!!

ha! i think shrooms are your thing though. :)

brilliant work mate, you need to post these up as a work in progress!

Paddytray

Settler
Jul 11, 2012
basingstoke
cheers mate it was you who got me carving in the first place funny enough .
I have taken a fair few pictures but not anywhere near done .

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE