Carrying your bush axe on your person....

Stonedog

Jan 6, 2006
The colonies, Kentucky
So....being the paranoid that I am I like to have my bush axe on my person, not on my pack. So how do you carry your axe on your person? I tend to have it slid down in my belt. You?

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I'm not that paranoid but when I do carry my SFA I do the same as you. Generally though it stays safely packed down the side of the rocket pouch on my bergen.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Why on earth would you carry an axe on your person? No need at all unless the zombie invasion has started but then I'd prefer my shotgun.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
It's in case he slips down a rocky hillside and jambs an arm between boulders. With an axe to hand, he can hack off his arm without fuss and carry on his way.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
different countries mean different feelings when out in the wilds chaps, though i do wonder how effective an axe or the other mirriad of zombie chopper would be against a hord, not sure you could maintain enough momentum to get though, perhaps the parang is the better tool for flesh chompers, nice and light good whip on it, and doesn't scream crazy nut job on the loose!

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Incidentally I didn't think the lamb and wolf quote sounded like Ben Franklin.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."

" Widely attributed to Franklin on the internet, sometimes without the second sentence. It is not found in any of his known writings, and the word "lunch" is not known to have appeared anywhere in English literature until the 1820s, decades after his death. The phrasing itself has a very modern tone and the second sentence especially might not even be as old as the internet." source http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Benjamin_Franklin

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Incidentally I didn't think the lamb and wolf quote sounded like Ben Franklin.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."

" Widely attributed to Franklin on the internet, sometimes without the second sentence. It is not found in any of his known writings, and the word "lunch" is not known to have appeared anywhere in English literature until the 1820s, decades after his death. The phrasing itself has a very modern tone and the second sentence especially might not even be as old as the internet." source http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Benjamin_Franklin

Hahahaha brilliant!

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...I tend to have it slid down in my belt..."

I have done so, but I don't think that it is a particularly safe method of carry, even for short distances, especially with the poor quality sheaths that my Gränsfors axes were supplied with.

If it isn't in my pack, I sometimes use a holster made for me by Ben Orford...

P9090194.jpg

...and I quite like the look of one of those Woodlore Folding Buck Saw Cases, although I'd probably knock one up myself rather than spend that much.

Here is a thread which shows the one Shewie put together.

:)

Last edited:

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
i like to keep my axe on me, but i do use it more than my knife when im in the woods, i just do as your self and shuv it down my belt.

i was however in the woods at the weekend which made me carry it to the wood on my belt (ish), i had no pack big enough as it was 5 item challenge, i thought the wood was a 20 second walk from the car.....

it was not!!!!

i never use my inside pocket, so cut a hole just big enough for the handle to slide into, the vecro strip in the middle stopped the head falling right into the pocket.

it worked, almost, with about 1 or 2 inches sticking out from the bottom of my jacket. did the job of hideing it for the walk home....;)

Wayland

Hárbarðr
sporty68.gif
It does look like it doesn't it.

But no, it's reflective plastic tarp that I'm taking to Norway next year (The picture is from this page on my website.)

I know I don't usually like plastic but this will be used to wrap the bergen for the flight, act as a reflective backdrop for a lean to, be used for dragging snow out of shelters, sitting on and maybe even a bit of sledging.

I don't expect it to survive all that but with luck I can use it to wrap the bag for the return flight too.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
So....being the paranoid that I am I like to have my bush axe on my person, not on my pack. So how do you carry your axe on your person? I tend to have it slid down in my belt. You?

if your that paranoid carry a gun....

alternatively a baldric works well

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE