Carrying your bush axe on your person....

Sparrowhawk

Sep 8, 2010
Huddersfield
I have a little lace up cuff that I can adjust to the girth of the axe that I'm carrying. Onto that I add a removable belt loop which I can rig up in various positions (have often tied it to the outside of my pack for extra security).

P.S. The best zombie defence is the Zombie lurch and slavver.

GordonM

Settler
Nov 11, 2008
Virginia, USA
How about letting the OP explain his post before we get too judgemental with the weapon, zombie and gun cracks.

Gordy

PS-Carrying the belt ax on the belt is a historical and cultural method of carry from the region OP hails from.

Last edited:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Incidentally I didn't think the lamb and wolf quote sounded like Ben Franklin.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."

" Widely attributed to Franklin on the internet, sometimes without the second sentence. It is not found in any of his known writings, and the word "lunch" is not known to have appeared anywhere in English literature until the 1820s, decades after his death. The phrasing itself has a very modern tone and the second sentence especially might not even be as old as the internet." source http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Benjamin_Franklin

I've seen the quote often and not always the same way; sometimes it's, "...two wolves and a sheep voting over what to have for dinner..." Don't know if that matters any though it still may not have been Franklin. It's a good quote though and it's difficult to understand why a more recent author wouldn't take credit for it directly. Also have to agree that whoever the original autor was, the second sentence is probably an add on.

Stonedog

Jan 6, 2006
The colonies, Kentucky
Actually I carry it in case I need to smack a bunch of smarmy brits in their heads,since we have had to kick you out not once, but twice....and as far as carrying a gun. I do that as well. It is our second admemdment right that guarantees that we can keep and bear arms. Our founding fathers wrote that bit down after kicking the brits out the first time.
Since it seems to be a topic as well, I am licensed to carry a concealed hand gun.
Now if you would like to give me honest advice,as some of you have, I am all ears. If you want to offer up contrite and ignorant statements by all means have at it but do not think I am going to take umbrage either.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Actually I carry it in case I need to smack a bunch of smarmy brits in their heads,since we have had to kick you out not once, but twice....and as far as carrying a gun. I do that as well. It is our second admemdment right that guarantees that we can keep and bear arms. Our founding fathers wrote that bit down after kicking the brits out the first time.
Since it seems to be a topic as well, I am licensed to carry a concealed hand gun.
Now if you would like to give me honest advice,as some of you have, I am all ears. If you want to offer up contrite and ignorant statements by all means have at it but do not think I am going to take umbrage either.

There have been more than a few posts here offering advise and solutions on ways to carry your axe (most of them looked pretty good too) There were one or too MILDLY negative comments that were serious and a few more that were just humorous fun. It would seem though that you HAVE ALREADY taken umbrage.

It's a shame really. You asked for advise, got some, got some jokes, and a few questions you could have answered calmly and made some converts. All ears is nice but life is easier with a bit of a sense of humor as well.

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
"...two wolves and a sheep voting over what to have for dinner..." It's a good quote though and it's difficult to understand why a more recent author wouldn't take credit for it directly.

It is a good quote and the article I linked to gives this version as the earliest known
"A democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch."

Attributed to Gary Strand, Usenet group sci.environment, 23 April 1990.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
There have been more than a few posts here offering advise and solutions on ways to carry your axe (most of them looked pretty good too) There were one or too MILDLY negative comments that were serious and a few more that were just humorous fun. It would seem though that you HAVE ALREADY taken umbrage.

It's a shame really. You asked for advise, got some, got some jokes, and a few questions you could have answered calmly and made some converts. All ears is nice but life is easier with a bit of a sense of humor as well.

+1 .....
541.gif
...... I think it was the use of the word paranoid that started it. There really isn't anything to worry about here in the UK wilderness (What little we actually have.)

Unless you are worried about having it stolen while you are out of your camp it's difficult to see why we would wear an axe on our belt all the time here.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none

Putting the words Paranoid and Axe together is always going to raise an eyebrow over here, if a little humor winds you up this much I am realy concerned about the safety of those who meet you with a concealed hand gun...

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I use a little holster - a bit like a Maglite carrier - a simple belt loop with a ring (of leather or brass) that the axe handle slides through.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset

You Canadians are so funny sometimes.

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
In the conditions over here, I can't think of any occasion when it would have been useful to have an axe on my belt. I think the handle bumping my leg would drive me insane!

More useful to have a folding saw for use gathering wood.

I do agree with Corso - if a few gentle jokes upset you this much, phew! Maybe being a leftpondian you aren't aware of the (very real) concerns the british public have about zombies.

Pierr

Forager
Sep 15, 2008
France
Maybe as a leftpondian Stonedog does not care that an axe is superfluous in UK?

EDIT: spelling

Last edited:

Retired Member southey

Jun 4, 2006
your house!
In the conditions over here, I can't think of any occasion when it would have been useful to have an axe on my belt. I think the handle bumping my leg would drive me insane!

More useful to have a folding saw for use gathering wood.

I do agree with Corso - if a few gentle jokes upset you this much, phew! Maybe being a leftpondian you aren't aware of the (very real) concerns the british public have about zombies.

Why is it that lots of people equate an axe with just collecting wood?

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Ok, for *me* the only uses I have for an axe when camping are cutting wood. Carving it, splitting it (for the fire), and rough shaping.

I'm sure there are some people who use an axe for skinning large animals, boning out, and chopping through ice. Not activities that are very common in the UK.

The OP may have other uses, but I'm not at all sure what they are. I am sure that discussion of concealed weapons permits is wildly off topic on a UK bushcrafting forum.

Sparrowhawk

Sep 8, 2010
Huddersfield
...Unless you are worried about having it stolen while you are out of your camp it's difficult to see why we would wear an axe on our belt all the time here.

I wear mine cos it makes me feel like a viking! Plus I sometimes like to go walkabout in the woods with just my knife, saw and a tiny belt axe. Having it in a sleeve on my belt means I don't have to keep putting it down and picking it up (if I do remember to pick it up!) I once had to go back and hunt for it after leaving it somewhere and that's when I decided to figure out a carry solution. I don't slide it down inside my belt as that space is taken up with belly, and there's precious little space for anything else.

GordonM

Settler
Nov 11, 2008
Virginia, USA
I thought the OP's first post was reasonable, though, I would like to better understand the source of his paranoia.

As this is a worldwide BB, when a non-British member posts a thread, that person's local situation is, of course, different than the local situation in the UK. Maybe that person is trying to understand what y'all do. Maybe that person is not aware of your local laws. Maybe that person is trying to learn of the cultures in the UK. That person has joined the forum, usually, to share ideas.

In my opinion, "it started", when Santaman2000 posted "Zombies!!!". It was after this, that the weapon and gun and zombie hords were brought up. Then the OP's sig line was shown to not be written by Ben Franklin, then further speculation occurred.

This thread has now evolved into the OP's "supposed" lack of ability to take humor. I know the "yard / meter stick of humor" means many different things to different people, but, from my perspective, the OP attempted humor. I thought the following was hilarious...

Actually I carry it in case I need to smack a bunch of smarmy brits in their heads,since we have had to kick you out not once, but twice...

I think some of you may have missed the humor. However, I do fully understand that what might be funny to some, may be not so funny, to others.

I still think we should allow the OP to explain his source of paranoia.

Gordy

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE