Carrying Arktis Smock

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BoDuke

Apr 9, 2012
Plymouth
Was out on Dartmoor on Saturday and when my lad and I left the house it was freezing. By the time we had got to Fur Tor, the weather was roasting. I was wearing an Arktis Smock with base layer and 100 weight fleece. My day sack was full with no room for the smock. On the way back over real bad ground I could have done with losing the smock. I was thinking about a drybag to roll the smock into and strap to the main rucksack.

Can anyone recommend a drybag and a source for good straps please or has anyone any other ideas?

Thanks.

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
OMM do a chest rig you should be able to fit to most packs.

http://www.climbers-shop.com/361170/products/omm_trio_chest_pouch_4l.aspx first link i came across there are other suppliers in stock

Asda do 3 drybags for a fiver that are light and well made if you decide to go that route or you can splash out on exped or sea to summit for gucci ones

Personally, Id prefer a pack that has the capacity to take my shell when it gets warmer

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
A piece of cord about two meters in length, tie the working ends together with a couple of double fisherman's knots, put the cord over your neck and one arm, hang jacket over cord, pull the knots apart to tighten the whole shebang locking the jacket into your armpit.

Alternatively, roll jacket into a cylinder, place in stout waterproof bag, roll up bag and use the same two meter length of cord to secure the bundle with a couple of trucker's hitches, use the working ends that are left spare to secure the package to the top, back or side of your pack.

:)

Last edited:

Graveworm

Life Member
Sep 2, 2011
London UK
I can't think why you should want to put a shell in a dry bag? If you put it away wet how will it dry and if its raining wouldn't you put it on? If you are wading that deep then probably everything else will get wet. I'm with the use a bigger pack school or shock cord on the outside for occasional use.

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Roll it around a webbing accessory strap, tie the ends and the middle with paracord and there you have it. Simples.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
I've now got a length of cheap(matches my life style)para cord in all my coat pockets, this easily makes a sling to carry your coat with.

Rob

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE