Carpenter's brace

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
I'm looking for a proper, professional quality carpenters rachet brace. Can anyone recommend any makes (old but available second hand or new) that are recommended as the one(s) to have?

leaf man

Nomad
Feb 2, 2010
Blacker Hill
Do the usual car boot scavenge.as a rule i stay away from the types with plastic bits for handles.
Rememberto look for the wee spring inside the chuck. If its still there, then theres a good chance its been looked after.
To go really posh though, look for an old school shipwrights brace, they can get pretty big, and most i have seen have gorgeous brass work on them too

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
I just got back from my local car bootie and saw a couple of old braces, not that I need one, also some real old BIG files, I was tempted but resisted.
Get yourself to a big boot market, your bound to find a bargain.

Biker

Stanley make's probably the best bet. Old or new. The newer versions had yellow plastic inserts in the handles and had a great "sweep".

You see them about at boot fairs a lot. battery drills and flat whiz bits are the new pretender to the throne.

As per advice check out the chuck, very susceptable to abuse by the un-informed

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.
It has to be the 'ultimatum' brace by Marples.Unlikely to find one at a bootfair though!

But seriously another one for a Stanley brace.Ive found the one with a ratchet is useful..

mikeybear

Forager
Feb 15, 2010
UK
I'm looking for a proper, professional quality carpenters rachet brace. Can anyone recommend any makes (old but available second hand or new) that are recommended as the one(s) to have?

I've not used one in years and I'm sure my father's one is older than me,

Have you seen the one in the Axminster catalog ? http://www.axminster.co.uk/product-Seloron-Deluxe-Brace-21110.htm

Their stuff is normally quite good , especially when It's some thing that is not trendy , since most of the rubbish being made these days will be cordless drills.

See also Lee Valley, I think this is the same thing http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=1&p=32300&cat=1,180,42337
I've had some very good reasonable price stuff from these people. Shipping to the UK is a little expensive though.

Normal disclaimer , I have no connection with these companies , just a satisfied customer.

Peat

Forager
Aug 29, 2008
West country
Have you seen the one in the Axminster catalog ? http://www.axminster.co.uk/product-Seloron-Deluxe-Brace-21110.htm

Their stuff is normally quite good , especially when It's some thing that is not trendy , since most of the rubbish being made these days will be cordless drills.

Seems funny calling it a deluxe brace rather than having a makers name... Unless deluxe is the company?!

My mate managed to pick up a beautiful rachet brace made in the USSR from out local market for £2!

mikeybear

Forager
Feb 15, 2010
UK
Seems funny calling it a deluxe brace rather than having a makers name... Unless deluxe is the company?!

My mate managed to pick up a beautiful rachet brace made in the USSR from out local market for £2!

Unfortunately there is a lot of unbranded / "own" branded stuff on the market these days you just have to rely on reputable suppliers, and hope they are stocking reasonably quality stuff, or send it back !!!

Most of the makers have stopped making this sort of tool unfortunately.

I just ordered the wooden handled one from here http://www.fine-tools.com/bohr1.htm excellent price compared to else where. And as a German company known for its quality it should be a good one. Will let you know on monday when it arrives.

looks good ,and they are a reputable supplier, was tempted to order from them in the past but the shopping list was getting very expensive .
I'm interested how you get on.

Last edited:

Sean Hellman

Tenderfoot
Apr 19, 2009
devon
www.seanhellman.com
Recycling centres, I have bought loads at the Newton Abbot site, all for about £2, they are over £50 new.
The most important part to look at are the jaws, make sure they are all there, either 2 or 4 jaws, mostly 2. Look to see if they are worn at all, some are badly worn so do not buy.

Heres a tip, if you are using a big bit 1 inch or over and your arm is getting tired, which happens really quickly, then put it on the ratchet and use a 1/3 stroke before ratcheting back. I usually push from 8 to 11 o'clock.

Biker

Try www.oldtools.co.uk they have some great quality tools on there.

Da-yamn! :eek: I've got most of those tools sitting in my tool chest in my workshop in the basement, use 'em too! Can't believe some of the prices they're asking either, £45 for Diston Philadelphia? Granted 35 years ago it was the bees knees but it's comparable to a vintage car nowadays: Nice to have but they had their day. Technology has moved on and the throwaway Stanley Jetcut is the preferred weapon of choice for most carpenters.

Ho hum. :(

Hope you find what you're looking for Littlebiglane, I'm sure if you look around and you're patient you can get one for a bargain basement price and a quality piece of iron too. The bits are a bit harder to find, at least ones in good condition.

hiraeth

Settler
Jan 16, 2007
Port Talbot
Da-yamn! :eek: I've got most of those tools sitting in my tool chest in my workshop in the basement, use 'em too! Can't believe some of the prices they're asking either, £45 for Diston Philadelphia? Granted 35 years ago it was the bees knees but it's comparable to a vintage car nowadays: Nice to have but they had their day. Technology has moved on and the throwaway Stanley Jetcut is the preferred weapon of choice for most carpenters.

Understand what your saying, I remember as an apprentice the chippys setting and sharpening their saws. Dont see that happening anymore!

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
I will keep my eye out for some nicer examples but to tide myself over today I picked up a modestly good condition (thanks for the tip, I checked the chuck) wooden handled Stanley (made in Sheffield) No.144 10inch for £1.50 at Steptoe's on Trusham Road, Exeter.

Biker

Just got back from a vide grenier (boot fair) this afternoon. Swing braces/ there must have been about 20 scattered all over, some really really old ones too. No chuck just a square hole with a grub bolt to lock the bit into place.

Saw some gorgeous one's too but resisted as I figured you'd find one at a decent price. And seeing your postings above, I'm glad you have. Sounds likea bargain.

Got my best mate a drawknife, it'll need new handles but it's perfectly sound otherwise. My mate who I walked around with also got himself a drawknife, a Stanley block plane for €5 each. I got myself a 25mm gouge with external bevel. It's sweeet.:D

Saw a Froe for €20 but it looked as though it'd been used to cut bricks. Yes a regrind would have been fine but I didn't have the €20 asking price, wrong end of the month. :(

I also saw some Adzes too, short handled ones with spoon shaped curved blades rather like Eric Methven had up for sale recently. They were going for €14 each. Again wrong end of the month to invest in something like that. that same town will be having another Vide Grenier later in the summer and I'm sure the same old stalls will be back there again, they usually are.

Saw a Billhook but as soon as the bloke heard my accent he doubled his price, I'm sure. :( Can't be dealing with mercenaries like that.

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
Looks like your boot fairs have more interesting stuff than down 'ere. The one at Exeter Race Course..I swear is full of the stuff that I struggle to see anyone but a waste converter wanting.

I found something else today. Less of a bargain but I could not pass it by. It was a breast drill. Not any old breast drill. I seen some ropey ones recently (including down Steptoe's Market yesterday) but this one was an amazingly over-engineered 1950s USSR one in new/unused condition, still boxed. It swear the machining tolerances on it and its gearing is done to Sputnik standards. I have never felt a winding gear so smooth and a power transfer to the headset so direct. At £15 it was no bargain but I reckon I'll add it to my greenwood working tools for the woodland workshop where there is no power and sometimes there is need for something with a bit of umph.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE