Carbon knives maintenance oil

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

DutchWalker

Apr 25, 2011
Netherlands
I've recently bought two High Carbon steel knives. I've done a bit of reading and most sites recommend a mineral oil wipe after using them.

One of the knives will be used (among things) to cut food with. I've done a bit of searching but I cannot find mineral oil in shops here (or it has a different name, quite possible too :) )
Spent some time on ebay and I found these two:

Link 1
Link 2

Though I'm not sure about the second, it says mineral oil but also linseed oil (which would make it a plantbased oil). Will the first one do? If not, could you point me towards an (cheap ;) ) alternative?

Thanks !

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
what about olive oil?

Not good as the quality varies enormously and the cheapest can pit and corrode tool steel. Camellia oil has been used for centuries by the Japanese to protect blades. Given the vast amount of centuries and millennia old swords in perfectly preserved condition, I'd say it's a good choice.

Siberianfury

Native
Jan 1, 1970
mendip hills, somerset
ive never bothered with oiling my blades, just keep them dry and the sheaths too, ive never had a problem. i stop them reguarly to remove any stains on the grind, but i generaly leave the rest of the blade to form a natural patina

AuldJum

Forager
Sep 18, 2011
Fife
ive never bothered with oiling my blades, just keep them dry and the sheaths too, ive never had a problem. i stop them reguarly to remove any stains on the grind, but i generaly leave the rest of the blade to form a natural patina

Thats what i do, though my grandad used to rub his finger on his nose then wipe it on the blade. Must have had a greasy nose.

As the grease on the human nose is mostly squalene, which is the main component of shark liver oil. It's probably good unless you doubt the quality of your own supply lol.

Jan 28, 2010
ontario
Bear fat is one of the most tenacious (and disgusting) oils I've ever seen. A couple years ago during the deer hunt one got shot in back of our place,
and a few of us smeared the fat on our leather boots...made the water bead off for weeks. Might be just the thing for a blade as long as you don't
mind the smell. :dunno:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
A smear of 3 in 1 if I do not expect to use it for a while otherwise any one of my carbon blades just relies on patina and use to keep it rust free....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE