carbon bowie-style blank

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BeerHunter

Tenderfoot
Jul 12, 2012
England
Hello,

Apologies if you're always getting such enquiries, but here goes...

I'd like to have a go at putting a handle on a knife. I'd like a carbon steel full tang bowie-style, with approx a 6 inch blade. Under £30, if that's not unrealistic?

I've had a look, but can't find one that ticks all those boxes (the blanks are usually stainless, not carbon).

I notice there's a bigger selection abroad. Has anyone ever had any bother importing knives? Do Customs ever make a fuss?

Many thanks

BeerHunter

Tenderfoot
Jul 12, 2012
England
Thanks for the replies.

Is Damascus well regarded?

That second one looks like a bargain, if a little larger than I intended. Would one normally fit a cross-piece finger guard (apologies, I'm not sure of the exact term for it) on a knife like that? A lot of the blanks I've seen come with them ready fitted.

Thanks again.

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
I think damascus is one of those marmite things - all depends on whether you like it or not. There's almost certainly good and bad - I wouldn't be able to spot the difference though.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Depends. Both on what its made from, and how well it is made. Its only 2 types of basic carbon steel, forge welded and folded/twisted in some way or other.

For that price, don't expect perfection. I pay more than that for a billet most of the time. It should serve ok. You will have problems after a bit with that grind though. Its a hollow grind and only a small one. The edge will get thick after a few sharpens and hollows aint something you can just regrind at home.

Thanks for the replies.

Is Damascus well regarded?

That second one looks like a bargain, if a little larger than I intended. Would one normally fit a cross-piece finger guard (apologies, I'm not sure of the exact term for it) on a knife like that? A lot of the blanks I've seen come with them ready fitted.

Thanks again.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE