Article: Member Review - Silva Expedition Compass

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Ok, before you all cry that the Expedition 4 compass has been on the de facto standard compass for every Brit venturing into the outdoors for decades why are you writing a review. Stop. This isn't a review of the Silva Expedition 4 compass. This is the newer Silva Expedition Compass. Bonus points to Silva for their highly non confusing naming scheme...

compass02_sm.jpg

I wanted to get myself a new compass after being fed up with my old cheapy one. I asked around for recommendations and found that pretty much everyone recommends the Expedition 4. Then a Danish friend let me have a play with his Expedition, I preferred it to the Expedition 4. Which is when I discovered an issue. The Expedition 4 is only available in the UK (anyone know why?), and consequently the Expedition is not available in the UK (anyone know why?). Fortunately I found myself in Germany just before Christmas and managed to pick one up. It cost me 42 euro.

Seeing as the Expedition is almost unheard of (and very hard to buy) in the UK, I thought I'd write a brief review.

So what's the difference between the Expedition 4 and the Expedition? The first thing that stands out is the bezel. This is a bright orange and black affair that is really easy to use with gloves on and without. Compared to the Expedition 4, I prefer it.

compass03_sm.jpg

Next up, as you study the inside of the compass you notice there is what looks like another needle in there, the inclinometer. What's one of those? Well it's for measuring the angle of incline. Why do you need that? In the UK, that's a mighty fine question. Generally as you're standing in the middle of kinder on a summers day you don't really need to know the incline of the nearest tussock. The manual suggests that the inclinometer is there to measure the angle of slopes for assessing avalanche risks. I'm not experienced in avalanche awareness, so haven't used this feature this way. But as an Arboriculture student, I've found it's really useful for measuring the height of trees. Hopefully as I venture into the mountains in winter (under the instruction of a guide at first), I will get to use this feature for what it was intended. In the mean time, do you want to know how tall this tree is?

If you look really closely at the bezel you will notice a small brass screw. If you pull the safety lanyard firmly, you'll find it splits. Inside one of the ends is a screw driver. Turn the brass screw, and you'll notice the inside of the compass turns. This is so you can adjust magnetic declination for the area you are in. When I first got home, I got out my local map to adjust it, found that my local area is 2° of declination, and didn't bother. Turns out for every map I own, the declination is next to nothing, so this feature hasn't been as useful as I had hoped... If I ever get to head up to the north of Sweden to Sarek and the like, then I can use this to adjust the 6°. Or if I get to New zealand, where the declination can be in excess of 20°.

Beyond this, the compass has the usual romer scales you would hope for - 1:40k 1:25k and 1:50k, As well as mm and inch scales. There is a magnifier for those wanting to do really close in map work, and the usual hole for marking the map. All of which you also find on the Expedition 4.

As you can see this is a compass for those wanting that little bit more. If you are out in avalanche country or plan to visit areas where magnetic declination is a bit more than your usual margin of error, then this compass is a big improvement over the Expedition 4, well worth the effort to either import it (a couple of German shops will ship them to the UK), or picking one up when abroad. If however you generally hike only in the UK, you're probably OK with the older Expedition 4. If you're not in the UK, well you can't get the expedition 4 anyway, and this is a great compass, even if you might not use all the features on offer.

For those of you who prefer to use mirror compasses, there is a mirror version of the Expedition.

J

PS Just discovered that this compass is available from The Orienteering Shop in the UK, I have no connection to them, but it's the only UK supplier that showed up on google.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
If you look really closely at the bezel you will notice a small brass screw. If you pull the safety lanyard firmly, you'll find it splits. Inside one of the ends is a screw driver. Turn the brass screw, and you'll notice the inside of the compass turns. This is so you can adjust magnetic declination for the area you are in. When I first got home, I got out my local map to adjust it, found that my local area is 2° of declination, and didn't bother. Turns out for every map I own, the declination is next to nothing, so this feature hasn't been as useful as I had hoped... If I ever get to head up to the north of Sweden to Sarek and the like, then I can use this to adjust the 6°. Or if I get to New zealand, where the declination can be in excess of 20°. ....

So this compass is also balance for the Southern hemisphere?

janso

Dec 31, 2012
Penwith, Cornwall
Good compass; I had the sighting version with the inclinometer a few years back and using angle of slope really opened up accuracy of navigation. Another good aid to be used - tickles me that you use it for tree heights!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I have an Australian Silva and while the needle angle (in the UK) is irritating, I haven't found it affects use much at all.

Most maps have the declination marked so I just used to add/subtract it manually.

Have you tried one balanced for this hemisphere in the southern hemisphere? (Silva or otherwise) If so how well did that work? It's highly unlikely I'll ever get to the southern hemisphere so my question is out of curiosity but some on here might find the answers useful.

I like Silva; at least the older ones that were actually made by Silva. Unfortunately they aren't sold in North America anymore. This compass looks very promising though if I can get it with inch scales rather than metric.

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
I haven’t seen that compass, I use an expedition 4. Looks interesting though. One thing to note with buying compasses overseas is that the needles are balanced to sit horizontally according to the area it is in, Silva use five different compass zones. If used in the wrong zone the needle can dip and catch the baseplate. I once bought a compass which did exactly this, the needle would not sit level and one end dipped touching the baseplate, you could only get a reading by awkwardly trying to swivel the housing so the needle floated without touching anything, fortunately I discovered the problem before I left and was told it was balanced for a different zone and they refunded me. After this I discovered Silva had two markings on their compass (on the bottom of the liquid filled capsule inside the direction arrow), one marking gives the compass needle balance zone and the other marking is a code for the date it was made, the markings are very small and take some spotting, the marking for the date is just a letter. Mine is marked ''MN'' for the compass balance zone (which covers most of the northern hemisphere) and is marked with the letter ''K'' for the year it was made (I’m pretty sure K is 1997). PS, I don’t know if new compasses still have these markings.

couple of links explaing compass zones

http://www.silvacompass.com/detail.aspx?id=76

http://www.facewest.co.uk/Compass-Zones-Explanation.html

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Good review Julia,
I wasn't aware that this compass or it's bigger brother existed. (Then I'm getting slightly out f touch these days with some gear.) I've used a lot of compasses, mainly type 4's and it's bigger sighted version. Though for survey work I tended to use my Suunto KB as it was a little easier to work with in cramped dark woodland.

I like what they've done to the compass and they've kept it simple unlike those awful Eclipse series of a few years back which were just terrible.

When teaching navigation a whiles back I found that the Silva 1 2 3 system was excellent as most folk could pick it up really quickly.

Cheers for the review and letting me know they existed,

GB.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Have you tried one balanced for this hemisphere in the southern hemisphere? (Silva or otherwise) If so how well did that work? It's highly unlikely I'll ever get to the southern hemisphere so my question is out of curiosity but some on here might find the answers useful.

I like Silva; at least the older ones that were actually made by Silva. Unfortunately they aren't sold in North America anymore. This compass looks very promising though if I can get it with inch scales rather than metric.

I haven't but believe it would be ok in australia. Can't speak for other countries.

Why would you need inch scales? Are the grid markings on USA maps made to imperial measurements?

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
mrcharly: my Recta Prospector needle was weighted for the northern hemisphere. In Australia, I had to hold north downwards at about 45 degrees! Not precision but reasonably accurate.
It was far harder to remind myself that the sun was in the northern sky.

santaman:
1. try Recreation Equipment Inc, out of Seattle, WA. 29 compasses: Suunto, Brunton and a few Silva and others.
2. search the archives in the FieldandStream online for their annual Best-of-the-Best gear lists.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I haven't but believe it would be ok in australia. Can't speak for other countries.

Why would you need inch scales? Are the grid markings on USA maps made to imperial measurements?

Our map scales for civilian topographic maps from the USGS (US Geological Survey) are commonly the following scales:
1:24,000 (1 inch = 2000 feet)
1:63,500 (1:63,360 in Alaska) or roughly one inch = 1 mile
and have the peripheral info such as elevation in feet with the contour interval also in feet (depth info for bathymetric portions)

There aren't "grid markings" per se. Rather they have the section lines delineating the surveyed section (one mile square) townships (36 sections) and ranges as per the Homestead Act.

The maps with actual grid markings instead of section lines are the DMA (Defense Mapping Agency maps and those do come in scales more suitable to metric conversion: 1:25,000
1:50,000
1:100,000
and these maps have the peripheral info such as elevation or depth in meters.

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
......santaman:
1. try Recreation Equipment Inc, out of Seattle, WA. 29 compasses: Suunto, Brunton and a few Silva and others.
2. search the archives in the FieldandStream online for their annual Best-of-the-Best gear lists.

Thanks. I can find Silva brand locally also. The trouble is that Silva Sweden (the real Silva makers) lost the rights to the name in North America a few decades ago to Johnson Outdoors. For a while the Silva compasses in NA were actually being made by Brunton but even that stopped a number of years ago and the current ones sold in NA are made in China.

To get a real Silva made by Silva Sweden you have to buy from Europe (or at least outside NA)

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Thanks Santaman. I like the Silva Expedition, both the appearance and the review.
It occurs to me that I can ask family in England to do my shopping.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Suunto (and therefore also Recta) make global needle compasses. My understanding is the needle is not magnetised, but a magnet moves it and prevents it from tilting.

Last edited:

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Suunto (and therefore also Recta) make global needle compasses. My understanding is the needle is not magnetised, but a magnet moves it and prevents it from tilting.

I have a Suunto Gobal compass and it has a balanced needle that keeps it level, no matter which hemisphere you find yourself in - a bit like the gimbals on a ship's compass. The needle is, as far as I can judge, magnetized in the normal way; if it weren't, how would it point north?

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Caution - on some Scottish mountains compasses are affected by local geology...

And in Wales - some Granites and other igneous rocks are magnetic to a degree (see what I did there? - I love the English language!).
On Carn Ingli, overlooking Newport Pembs, there is a rock called "St Brynach's Pillow" that will spin a compass 180 degrees. St Brynach slept up there while communing with Angels ... certain mushrooms also grow up there which may have had something to do with his visions....
That looks like a great compass - I have used Silvas of varios models for years and swear by them - easy to learn, easy to use!

EddieP

Forager
Nov 7, 2013
Liverpool
I've just bought one of these. I've never had the need for adjustable declination before. But this summer I'm off to Greenland where the difference is 37.5 deg. I've not used it in anger yet, but it seems to be a cracking bit of kit. I think it is the cheapest adjustable compass available.

http://www.magnetic-declination.com/ shows what the declination is for any given city.

Last edited:

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
I have a Suunto Gobal compass and it has a balanced needle that keeps it level, no matter which hemisphere you find yourself in - a bit like the gimbals on a ship's compass. The needle is, as far as I can judge, magnetized in the normal way; if it weren't, how would it point north?

The needle on those compasses are not actually magnetised at all. How it works is that the pivot has a needle with a magnet underneath it, they both rotate separately and independently of each other, the magnet itself absorbs the vertical force of the magnetic field so the needle is unaffected and stays horizontal. The magnet rotates the needle above even though it is not connected to it and the needle remains level due to magnet absorbing the vertical pull.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE