Caramalised Onion Chutney - Recipe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Me too Lindz

Picked up the onions this morning and washed out some jars last night. I have faith in Reds recipe though, they're normally pretty good.

Its dead easy trust me. Don''t overwarm the jars - or they cool too quick and shatter - 100C is plenty. When it starts to go jammy, keep tasting (having blown to cool first) to ensure its not over caramalised!

Its a good recipe that I borrowed and adapted - I'm sure it will go well :)

I've photographed the sweetcorn relish and will post it up when I get a minute

Red

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
Ok its nearly there, i reckon less than a half hour now. Im a right in guessing its done when the liquid is all but gone?

Im also waiting for my jamacan patties and jerked potato wedges to be done. (yes I have been watching caribbean cooking made easy!)

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
Ive not had onion chutney before so I dont know what to compare it to. Its nice but the onions taste a little burned or fried (I did take care not to burn it though) slightly sweet but then I used much less quantity and guessed how much sugar. Its a fair attempt though, probably nothing like how its supposed to be, but its edible, nice with cheese and got rid of all them onions from the allotments

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Sounds about right to me firecrest. Slightly like well fried onions in a sweet chutney sauce is how mine tastes. Appeals to those who like the taste of them long strings of onions on a hot dog or burger I find (thats the caramelised bit) :) You can regulate the amount of "burned" taste by how long you cook it at the gloopy stage.

Glad you tried it :). If you like sweet and mild, have a try at the sweetcorn one I'll bung up when I get a minute

Red

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
Glad to hear it was correct then :)
Id like to have a go at mango chutney Im a big lover of my popadoms

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
wow, fantastic! i shall be giving this a go myself.
as a side note i had to replace my keyboard as i drooled so much into the other it broke :D

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I tried this last night.

its red coloured, not brown, and it smells just of onion

Didnt I fry it enough?

Im sure it will taste great though

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I tried this last night.

its red coloured, not brown, and it smells just of onion

Didnt I fry it enough?

Im sure it will taste great though

Sounds like not enough or not hot enough simmering mate. If it tastes okay, don't worry!

stooboy

Settler
Apr 30, 2008
Fife, Scotland
Thanks British Red, ive got 4 jars worth, did a half mixture.

Tell you what, its not one for folks who suffer runny eyes of onions, I am usually ok but after the 3rd onion of 6, I was in full tears.

I also made the mistake of not reading the recipe through and added the oil, and vinegar all at once and added to heat, and then after measuring out the sugar (FYI for those that asked pint of sugar is just under 500g bag) I read the bit about "add the vinegar, sugar etc to the softened onions", so swiftly removed the vinegar, and softened, so hopefully that’s not made it a disaster we shall see tasted ok at the end. :)

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Nah, chutneys, chutney - if it tastes okay - its okay :)

I reckon you have to do a recipe three times to get it tight - once to really screw up, once to make mistakes, once to get it right. I got tired of beating myself up when it didn't work right first time...its never perfect first time

I was doing lavender wine jelly today - not sure if I got the pectin ratio right so if you've fouled up - you have some company :D

Red

Oct 21, 2009
Bristol
I just joined this forum to say thanks for this thread. I've been looking for a straightforward recipe that didnt use too many different ingredients, and one that I could do in bulk. Also, Lidl have got bags of red onions on offer for 39p down from 69p, the nets contain 6 or 7 medium onions. I dont grow onions so bought these this morning and now making the chutney to give as presents at Christmas.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Lakeleland for small amounts, Ascott Smallholding supplies are cheaper but only do larger quantities

Red

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE