Canvas tarps

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

leon-1

I think that the main thing that needs to be looked at is "run off", ventile will shed water pretty well when proofed as long as the angle is OK. Effectively if there is anywhere that water can pool in ventile it will eventually seep through and you will get an uncomfortable drip.

Try not to make contact with single layer ventile when it is soaked as this will encourage water through it onto you.

Have fun packing a wet ventile tarp, it will be like a board and considerably heavier than when you carried it in.

TX10 isn't just one product under the Nikwax brand name it is a complete range, they also do one for down and ropes as well as cotton.

Canvas seems to shrink when wet (ask any soldier that has used 58 pattern webbing about the web belt when it gets wet) so yes the tarp will become more taught, but if it is anything like the same weight as a 9x9 tent when dry I would hate to think what it would be like when it is wet and I know what a 9x9 is like when it is wet (heavy, very heavy).

Canvas would probably be less susceptible to little holes from small embers, but as others have mentioned it is still cotton and cotton burns well unless treated to be fire resistant (increased cost??).

Sil nylon and synthetic tarps are quite easily repaired with spinnaker repair tape, just slap a bit on either side of the tarp covering the hole and the job is done.

Also with most synthetics because the ember can burn right through in a short space of time the chances are that they are not going to burst into flames unless lit with a flame, cotton on the other hand can smoulder for a good peiod of time and can catch with an ember and a gentle breeze to fan things along.

The cost of re-proofing can be less as there seem to be a number of products more for re-proofing synthetics, combine that with the weight of synthetic tarps and it could work out to be a winner.

Just a few things to think about.

That has probably put the cat amongst the pigeons:eek:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE