Canvas material supplier

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Hi, im wanting to make a wool lined canvas bedroll(have the wool blanket) but im after a stockist of heavy duty cotton canvas 14,16,or 18oz ive seen a couple of places on line but they are for canvas tarps with brass eye holes in them (i could remove) but im looking for just the material supplier if anyone knows of a good stockist.

thanks.

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
Hi Andy,

There's a company in Dundee ( Lows of Dundee )that carries a large range of materials.
Not used them myself and unsure if they sell smaller quantities but might be worth a ring if your stuck.

Good call.

What about a Ship's Chandlers? Sailcloth etc...

Port Edgar at South Queensferry, where I live, has "The Bosun's Locker".

Dunno if they're any good, no connection etc., just a thought.

Is there a chandler's in Eyemouth?

Liam

Miyagi

Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
I saw those Duluth(?) bedrolls online a few years ago and thought they looked the mutts nuts.

They might turn out to be a bit on the bulky side, for a bimble in the cuds, unless rolled up and strapped to a horse, or chucked in a motor.

Andy, Comrie croft was a great day. I applaude your reasons for staying at home, but you'll enjoy the next one.

They're a great bunch of folk, just as easy going and as good company as you and Stooboy.

All the best

Liam

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Liam, im going to base my idea on a officer's bedroll of ww2 basically a canvas envelope with a wool serge lining(stitched inside) a space at the top to put in spare clothes etc to make a pillow, then you take a spare blanket in your pack for extra warmth, the bedroll when rolled up tight should be about the size of a foam roll matt(slighty smaller) and will be carried under rucksack as per roll matt, i intend to use it mainly for summer beach use.

Yep would have liked to go to Comrie, just the timing was in the middle of a few trip out
im having and ive got to stay in sometime(plus its mothers day so i got to do my share at home today)

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
Andy google Pennine outdoor fabrics or point north fabrics Im naff at doing linky's but they seem to do a decent range of all sorts of outdoor type fabrics including ventile andsuch they also do loads of other accessories for making outdoor kit.

I am just ordering some silnylon type stuff to make a light weight tarp only a small one to go over a bivvy. But they seem cheap enough too.

Andy

Miyagi

Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
Liam, im going to base my idea on a officer's bedroll of ww2 basically a canvas envelope with a wool serge lining(stitched inside) a space at the top to put in spare clothes etc to make a pillow, then you take a spare blanket in your pack for extra warmth, the bedroll when rolled up tight should be about the size of a foam roll matt(slighty smaller) and will be carried under rucksack as per roll matt, i intend to use it mainly for summer beach use.

Yep would have liked to go to Comrie, just the timing was in the middle of a few trip out
im having and ive got to stay in sometime(plus its mothers day so i got to do my share at home today)

That sounds like a really practical project. I'll be watching this one like a hawk.

I gave Stooboy a bicycle repair kit at Comrie. :D
For his punctured mat.

Hey, shouldn't you be slaving away at the stove right now? And make sure them dishes are washed properly. What colours your pinny?

Liam

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Thanks littlebiglane, i do prefer there 15oz cotton duck but its plenty wonga!,rather than the poly/cotton mix, i want to be able to lie do near(not next to) a fire so thick heavy duty cotton is a must.
Liam ive been slaving all day breakfast lunch and dinner,for the boss and a wee drinky tonight.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
andy a canvas bedroll has been on my to do's for a while - I've similar plans in mind too - any thoughts on ground insulation/padding?

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Corso, as i will be mainly using mine in summer on a sandy beach i will just have the serge material stitched inside the canvas and a wool blanket inside that,probs sleeping in lightweight thermal undies,nothing else with it or under,but i will be sleeping near to a fire, years ago i used to own a proper ww2 one and i slept out,in a forest in winter i had two blankets inside and a ww2 ground sheet underneath and was dressed in ww2 wool battledress clothes(was at reenactment event)and was okay temp wise,though if i was doing winter stuff now with it id have a foam roll matt or my alpkit airic slim underneath,and again two blankets and thremals on.The heavy canvas really works to cut out wind and damp most seem to come water proof coated,although in time id probably treat the base with something like barbour thornproof dressing.
All really depends when/and on what type of ground you will be using it really,i aim to have mine around 6'6''(and to have the envelope shape at the top to store my dry clothes and act as a pillow) in length and plenty wide enough to move about in width wise so i could add more insulation or take away depending on the conditions.

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I was looking at Whaleys earlier, 10 square metres of water resistant canvas for £30, sounds just about perfect Andy.

I've been thinking about making some Duluth style canoe packs with this stuff but it'll all be hand stitched and I don't know if I've got the will power to start that just yet.

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Cheers Eds ,Rich for the info and offer, Rich what colour did you look at, it looks quite a pale biege on Whaleys web site, im after either a tan or green colour if possible,but the price does look good there, im only needing 8.5ftx7ft, ive got my step mum visiting in April,she gave me a sewing machine ages ago but havent had chance to go through with her how to work it, if she says it can sew through both the canvas and serge i think i will give whaleys a go depending on available colours, i too dont fancy hand stitching but if i must i must.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE