Canvas Berghaus Crusader

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bojit

Native
Aug 7, 2010
Edinburgh
I only tied the straps up for the pic , your right i does look a bit naff.
depending on what price they come up with i might do it myself .

Craig...................

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
I can recommend SMG I've had a number of items repaired by them. Use to make good sacks as well.

Aye.. IIRC isn't there one illustrated in the hard back edition of 'Bushcraft' by uncle Ray...

The one he's using in this clip....

[video=youtube;2UsLYj_dXVE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UsLYj_dXVE[/video]

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
I only tied the straps up for the pic , your right i does look a bit naff.
depending on what price they come up with i might do it myself .

Craig...................

right, Very often the elastic isn't broken but has just pulled through one of it's anchorage points. It is basically a lengh of elastic (bunji) with a big knot at each end, pushed through a small opening along a seam, simply open a few stitches, push it back it's 'opening' a few stitches to keep it in place, then resew, difficult to understand in words but if you decide to do it yourself, your'll understand when you see it.........no need to buy speciallist thread, I use strong polyester button thread, which I use on everything, including dog leads & it has never, ever broken or come loose on me, so have a quick look in 'Mrs. bojit's' sewing box, you never Know ,you may be able to repair it for nothing.............good news about the straps. but never brush a bergen's hair before a photo...we prefer the rugged,natural lived in look.................cheers

Last edited:

bojit

Native
Aug 7, 2010
Edinburgh
Cheers i will give it a try , sounds simple enough even i should manage it .

Just aswell you can't see the 2 pink cushions that i stuffed it with for the pic ! oops!

Craig......................

wildrover

Nomad
Sep 1, 2005
Scotland
Aye.. IIRC isn't there one illustrated in the hard back edition of 'Bushcraft' by uncle Ray...

The one he's using in this clip....

[video=youtube;2UsLYj_dXVE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UsLYj_dXVE[/video]

One of my mates used to have one of those.
Great build quality.Simple bombproof stuff...

This must be a really old show as it looks like Ray is wearing a Berghaus Lightning.
I used to have one of those a million years ago:rolleyes:

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
This must be a really old show as it looks like Ray is wearing a Berghaus Lightning.
I used to have one of those a million years ago:rolleyes:

Hey I still have a Lightning.. An excellent Hillwalking waterproof.

Decent length to cover your legs... A nice hood not some fold away thing... Well made, tough and durable...

Top bit of kit....

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
well, the first of my new aquisitions arrived today, the karrimor Jaguar S85, considering the listing on ebay said grade 2, i'm really chuffed, personally i think its in great nick and has only 2 minor cuts in the bottom which i can repair easily. the back system is in perfect order as are all straps and buckles. i'll get some pics on later when i can find the camera.

it came with a heavy duty waterproof insertion bag type liner that had a velcro collar which fastend to the velcro running around the inside of the rucksack, forming a like free floating bag in bag. is this a standard feature? really impressed with it and the big pocket on the back is ideal for stuffing waterproofs in.
now waiting for the crusader to turn up!

pictures later.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Thirty something years ago I bought into the "Gore-tex revolution" and purchased one of the first British Goretex jackets - a Berghaus Mistral in two tone blue - at huge expense.
It was such utter carp that I was glad when some poor slob nicked it - I was in the middle of a Lands End to John O'Groats attempt at the time and was on the Pennine Way - good luck to him!
As it was I quickly bought a cheap but useful 4oz neoprene proofed Henry Lloyd jacket...that was actually waterproof!
After my LE - JOG trip failed (due to a wrecked knee) I wrote one of my very first reviews panning the jacket and Goretex.
Berghaus offered to replace the jacket even though I could not return the original...I got a Lightning in green.
It leaked.
Berghaus replaced it with another Lightning in green.
It leaked.
Which I sold to a co-worker in the outdoor centre I worked at (Oaklands near Betws y coed).
She complained that it leaked.
I told her to get onto Berghaus!
Overpriced, overhyped carp IMHO!
Us instructors who valued staying dry wore 4 or 8oz neoprene proofed nylon or Ventile (though it was too expensive even back then for most of us to afford!) or at a push Grenfell cloth.
I am yet to find a Goretex garment that realy lasts and stays waterproof...I notice RM seems to have a new jacket for every episode.......:)

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
it came with a heavy duty waterproof insertion bag type liner that had a velcro collar which fastend to the velcro running around the inside of the rucksack, forming a like free floating bag in bag. is this a standard feature?

Yes I think so my Condor also had the Velcro sewn into the top to accept the liner...Although the liner and th little removeable internal pouch have gone AWOL...

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
ok here are some pics, has a 'carefully made in the uk' label but it wouldn't photograph.

bag2.jpg

bag4.jpg

bag5.jpg

bag3.jpg

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Very nice... Good 'find' and I hope it works out well for you.

That external pocket looks to be useful. IIRC Karrimor had exactly the same type of pocket on a very large 85ltr Alpiniste sack they did back in the 80's... In fact I wouldn't be surprised if that sack is not basically an Alpiniste 85 with an SA back...

If you were that way inclined the addition of a pair of side zips for some PLCE pooches might be a worthwhile modification... But it's nice as is...

Karrimor did produce some Pouches that strapped on IIRC...

You might consider giving all the Zips a good clean and lubricate with some silicone spray. Karrimor zips are ok but on older sacks then need a bit of TLC...

Cheers

John

Last edited:

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
good tip johnboy, the zip on the large front pocket is a bit stiff so will give that a go. the pack is mahoosive, it seems much bigger than my plce bergen was, the space seems more stuffable which i know must sound odd. i'm chuffed considering it was £35 delivered and is damn tidy, and was able to track it all the way here. in fact as you know from a previous convo i was looking at a sting, well i was also eyeing up the salient but to be honest, this jaguar kind has all the features of the salient plus extra pockets, and i'm kinda thinking why bother? also with the crusader on its way think my rucksack requirements have been fullfilled bar a small daysack. i'll post the crusader when it arrives. cheers again johnboy, sound advice and from first glance, faith in the old karrimor is well deserved!

wildrover

Nomad
Sep 1, 2005
Scotland
Thirty something years ago I bought into the "Gore-tex revolution" and purchased one of the first British Goretex jackets - a Berghaus Mistral in two tone blue - at huge expense.
It was such utter carp that I was glad when some poor slob nicked it - I was in the middle of a Lands End to John O'Groats attempt at the time and was on the Pennine Way - good luck to him!
As it was I quickly bought a cheap but useful 4oz neoprene proofed Henry Lloyd jacket...that was actually waterproof!
After my LE - JOG trip failed (due to a wrecked knee) I wrote one of my very first reviews panning the jacket and Goretex.
Berghaus offered to replace the jacket even though I could not return the original...I got a Lightning in green.
It leaked.
It leaked.
Which I sold to a co-worker in the outdoor centre I worked at (Oaklands near Betws y coed).
She complained that it leaked.
I told her to get onto Berghaus!
Overpriced, overhyped carp IMHO!
Us instructors who valued staying dry wore 4 or 8oz neoprene proofed nylon or Ventile (though it was too expensive even back then for most of us to afford!) or at a push Grenfell cloth.
I am yet to find a Goretex garment that realy lasts and stays waterproof...I notice RM seems to have a new jacket for every episode.......:)

Johnboy must have a good one(Lucky beggar).

I have to say John that your experience of the Lightning is very similar to mine.
Got mine (in green)from Tiso in Glasgow.
Liked the Length, Colour and the Hood.
But it leaked!
Replaced 3 times (no quibbles mind !-Proper customer service:cool:)
Eventually added money to the credit note and traded up to a Trango extrem(e) in a very tasteful Luipin and Banana colour scheme (thats purple and yellow to you and me :rolleyes:)and have been returning them with annoying regularity ever since.

When they work (for that short time in my experience) they are great.
If only it lasted....

wildrover

Nomad
Sep 1, 2005
Scotland
Very nice... Good 'find' and I hope it works out well for you.

That external pocket looks to be useful. IIRC Karrimor had exactly the same type of pocket on a very large 85ltr Alpiniste sack they did back in the 80's... In fact I wouldn't be surprised if that sack is not basically an Alpiniste 85 with an SA back...

If you were that way inclined the addition of a pair of side zips for some PLCE pooches might be a worthwhile modification... But it's nice as is...

Karrimor did produce some Pouches that strapped on IIRC...

You might consider giving all the Zips a good clean and lubricate with some silicone spray. Karrimor zips are ok but on older sacks then need a bit of TLC...

Cheers

John

I have the large side pockets for my aged Condor 60-80.
To be honest in all the years I've used the sac I have never needed to fit them.
Infact, I've only used the 80 litres expansion a few times.
Unless it's winter or your on a prolonged proper wilderness trek I would normally fail to see the need to exceed the 60 litres (if your only carrying your own stuff).

I could take some pics of the sac, pockets etc if anyone is interested.
Only thing is tho' is that it's in civvy colours. Which might upset some palettes on here:D

wildrover

Nomad
Sep 1, 2005
Scotland
good tip johnboy, the zip on the large front pocket is a bit stiff so will give that a go. the pack is mahoosive, it seems much bigger than my plce bergen was, the space seems more stuffable which i know must sound odd. i'm chuffed considering it was £35 delivered and is damn tidy, and was able to track it all the way here. in fact as you know from a previous convo i was looking at a sting, well i was also eyeing up the salient but to be honest, this jaguar kind has all the features of the salient plus extra pockets, and i'm kinda thinking why bother? also with the crusader on its way think my rucksack requirements have been fullfilled bar a small daysack. i'll post the crusader when it arrives. cheers again johnboy, sound advice and from first glance, faith in the old karrimor is well deserved!

I don't think you'll be disappointed in the quality of the sac.
It would be built by Karrimor when the name actually equated to a top quality item (PRI/Karrimor SF Range included in this definition).
The Sac's I have still serve me well, comparing very well with the top of the range offerings avaliable today from the top manufacturers.(IMHO)
It's more than a bit of a shame that the label (generally) has a bit of a low/mid range feel about it.:(

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Johnboy must have a good one(Lucky beggar).

I have to say John that your experience of the Lightning is very similar to mine.
Got mine (in green)from Tiso in Glasgow.
Liked the Length, Colour and the Hood.
But it leaked!
Replaced 3 times (no quibbles mind !-Proper customer service:cool:)
Eventually added money to the credit note and traded up to a Trango extrem(e) in a very tasteful Luipin and Banana colour scheme (thats purple and yellow to you and me :rolleyes:)and have been returning them with annoying regularity ever since.

When they work (for that short time in my experience) they are great.
If only it lasted....

At the very great risk that we get off topic and this descends into yet another Goretex vs Ventile which is best type 'discussion'.I'll advise that my experience with Berghaus Goretex jackets has been entirely positive....

Alpine Extrem (two tone blue with the yellow hood and rectangle in the back) no problems 20+ years of service lots of Scottish winter and Alpine climbing... It's ragged and a bit sad looking these days but it's never leaked... Berghaus Lightning... Blue, Heaps of Hill walking, instructing ice axe arrests etc. No leaks and still pretty serviceable...

I think you made a fundamentally bad decision getting a Trango Extrem in Lupin and Banana... Ah early 90's colour schemes in retrospect there were some shockers....

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
I could take some pics of the sac, pockets etc if anyone is interested.
Only thing is tho' is that it's in civvy colours. Which might upset some palettes on here:D

No that will be fine... Life is not all OG and DPM is it. Take some images and stick them up I'd for one would like to see em...

wildrover

Nomad
Sep 1, 2005
Scotland
At the very great risk that we get off topic and this descends into yet another Goretex vs Ventile which is best type 'discussion'.I'll advise that my experience with Berghaus Goretex jackets has been entirely positive....

More than a fair comment.
Enough said.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE