Canoes - e-petition for access

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Steve R said:
They do around here, ever tried safely passing 6 or so cyclists who are fully concentrating on being the 'front man'?
Here too - all the time! I have even seen those idiots in High Vis vests attempt to halt traffic to let them cross a major road when they are supposed to give way!

Unless they have changed the laws nobby, they DO break the law.

Anyway, I've had my say - I have no problem with people using the land who are prepared to contribute - financially or with their effort. Its those that seem to only believe they have "rights" but fail to acknowledge "obligations or rules" that I find irritating. I don't wnat to hijack the original purpose of the thread. I'd love to feel able to support the desire for access - and when I see some evidence of these groups putting something back into the resources they wish to use, I will

Red

dave k

Nomad
Jun 14, 2006
Blonay, Switzerland
Steve R said:
It seems the law is very messy, riverbanks/beds being owned my the landowners on both sides, water being owned by British Waterways.

Hopefully it will be clarified ASAP, maybe things like the petition that is the subject of this thread will be taken into consideration and something fair all round will come of it.

If 1 million people marched against the Iraq war and were ignored, and 500000 people petition'd against road pricing and tracking and were ignored, I'm not sure what use 20000 people would have I'm afraid.. :(

John Dixon

Forager
May 2, 2006
Cheshire
Over the centuries the canoe was probably the only way to navigate the way through this country which was mostly forest. the rivers were the artaries of the country and the highways along it. And the conoe the form of transport. Dont forget just because we are have become "civilised" in the last blink of eye in our history doesnt mean that what stands now is right.... Canoes are part of our existance and have been for 100's of years and it would be such a shame to lose the skills and culture because we cant see past the last 30 years.. isn that why we are intersted in the lost skills of bushcraft??????????

Canoeinst do give back.. they clean the river of line and shot thats left in the trees they maintain the rivers flow they monitor the water ways and report the conditions to the EA. They have a vested interest in the country side and the beauty of the river and its banks. BCU memeber also pay memberships which includes waterways liscences. Just like walking there has been a long history of paddling it was a right of way that has been forgotten. i for one believe we should be entitled to still practice this art, way of life and legacy....

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
I'm not going to get back into this except to say how much i'm enjoying Jon and BR debating!

It seems a rarer and rarer thing on BCUK nowadays - two members who both have differing opinions yet can have debate without it turning into a slanging match. I fonndly remember Viking and the rest of us doing this a while ago. i'm just happy to see you two reminding me of why I joined BCUK in the first place
(Virtual rep given ;) )
:grouphug: :35: :beerchug: :notworthy

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
Shouldn't waterways have the same access rights as footpaths? Canoeing/kayaking(rowing even?) has less impact on rivers than walking does on footpaths. What would be a fair price for fair access and who would it be paid to? It is a lot more complicated than paying for fishing rights, a government type licence would cost canoeists but not actually pay for anything, other than the people collecting the money :rolleyes: . I think most canoeists would be willing to give something back(you always get one or two though :( ) I don't think in this case though money or licensing is the answer. Unless it is through some sort of organisation( not necessarily BCU, they seem more about kayaking and sport rather than access for travel!) that could organise work parties and put soemthing practical back I would be reluctant to pay for access.
Free access to the rivers and waterways needs to be a starting point, canoeists have no real rights at the moment, it is fairly simple for fishermen to sort out fishing rights they only have to deal with one landowner for a days fishing, canoeists may go through a dozen different properties in half an hour!
The mass trespass that took place on kinder scout was about the same problem why should ramblers and walkers be treated better than canoeists?
I don't think anyone wants a free ride, but what are RIGHTS of way worth?

As a angler with no interest in canoeing I am probably looking at this from the opposite direction of most of the people who have posted on this thread.
However, I would sign your petition myself for better access for canoeists if the following points were answered:
Anglers have just started the river fishing close season, which runs from the 15th March to the 15th June inclusive, which bans anglers fishing on runing water for freshwater fish while the fish are spawning. Would the canoeists agree to stay off the water for the same reason during this period?
Licensing, I pay annually for my EA rod license then also pay membership to 5 local clubs which gives me access to almost every worthwhile fishing river within 30 miles of my home, not all the river but the stretches which the clubs I belong to lease. Year after year I see improvements in both the condition of the river itself and in the size and condition of the fish, which makes it easy to see where my money has gone. I cannot see how canoeists can expect to have total access to all waterways for payment of one annual nominal fee, who would you pay this to and how would this system be policed to ensure that all canoeists were licensed?

Like I said just a couple of points that I would be interested in knowing the answers to, not looking for a bite.......get it, thats a fishing joke. :D Or looking to get into a slanging match but as posted earlier on this thread there is only so much water and we all have to agree to share it so we had better learn to get on.

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
You pay to 5 clubs? If one of those clubs decides to double its price you could fairly easily not go to that stretch. If a canoeist had to pay along the same lines( :rolleyes:) he would have a lot more people to pay and one guy being greedy could stuff up the whole days planning! It is a lot bigger problem for canoeists than it is for anglers.
Look at some of these firms that own grass verges and send bills to people to enter their drive :bandit: , anyone think that is right?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE