Canoeing the Wye

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Forest

Jun 14, 2006
Bristol
Four of us canoe'd the River Wye last weekend in glorious sunshine.
We spent 3 days and covered just under 40 miles, cooking by fire on the river banks lunchtimes and camping at a pubs/campsites overnight. (Boats hired from Monmouth Canoeing Centre)

The stretch from Symonds Yat to Monmouth was fantastic. Deep in the valley away from the sound of traffic,on the river at 8am, all you could hear were fish jumping and birds singing. You could have been anywhere in the world.

Does anyone know any other similar rivers that likewise get you totally away from civilisation. Where else do you all recommend ?

Cheers,
Forest

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
That sounds awesome, would love to have a go at that, beautiful part of the country.

We did a couple of canoe hikes along the Monmouthshire - Brecon canal when I was in Scouts, not quite the same as the Wye but nice nonetheless.

Forest

Jun 14, 2006
Bristol
It was absolutely superb, you could have heard a pin drop on the water.
We saw Kingfishers, Buzzards, Peregrines, Kestrels, Cormorants, Herons, Deer, Trout, Salmon & Barbel, oh - & 4 million swans!

Cost the four of us approx £50 each for the three days boat hire complete with all the paddles and jackets, including dropping us and the boats off upstream by minibus. We then paddled with the flow, back to Monmouth where we had parked the car next to the river. - simple! Campsites cost a fiver a tent.

Get on the phone and do it while the weather's good.. !

The question is where do we go next ?

East Scout

Tenderfoot
Jun 28, 2006
Alaska
www.hostingphpbb.com
Interesting..There is a Wye river in my Area..As there is a Salisbury, Chambridge, Dover, Aberdeen, London and many other names named after places in the UK..

Anyhow back to topic..finding places in my area isnt to very hard..I tend to get off the main water ways in my Kayak and explore the marshes and swamps where just about no one goes..You cant even find trash like you would most places as no one ever goes there and there is really no direct flow to carry it there......Its a real treat. All you can hear is the Air Buses in the sky ..

ES

GearGuru

Forager
Jun 7, 2006
Market Deeping
I had my most memorable natural experience on the Wye. As we paddled alone through Yat rock there was a Peregrin circling and calling to its mate. Eventually it flew up and there were two of them circling and calling. The calls echoed on the steep cliffs and it sounded like being in the US. Amazing!!!!

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Forest said:
Four of us canoe'd the River Wye last weekend in glorious sunshine.
We spent 3 days and covered just under 40 miles, cooking by fire on the river banks lunchtimes and camping at a pubs/campsites overnight. (Boats hired from Monmouth Canoeing Centre)

The stretch from Symonds Yat to Monmouth was fantastic. Deep in the valley away from the sound of traffic,on the river at 8am, all you could hear were fish jumping and birds singing. You could have been anywhere in the world.

Does anyone know any other similar rivers that likewise get you totally away from civilisation. Where else do you all recommend ?

Cheers,
Forest
I like the sound of that, such a simple thing to do, but such enjoyment.
Just wondering though, how did you secure the canoes, when staying in pubs, can you lock them ?.................Jon

pibbleb

Settler
Apr 25, 2006
Sussex, England
Sounds like a top drip! I once canoed Part of the River Seven and River Avon, total journey was a hundred miles over 4 days so didn't get to spend alot of time doing anything other than sleeping.

40 miles seems a much more sensible distance to cover over three days.

Hope you get out and do it again soon!

Pib

Forest

Jun 14, 2006
Bristol
Jon Pickett said:
I like the sound of that, such a simple thing to do, but such enjoyment.
Just wondering though, how did you secure the canoes, when staying in pubs, can you lock them ?.................Jon

We just pulled them out of the water and put them next to the tents. - only 5mtrs from the waters edge. You could padlock them together if you wanted, by putting a chain through the seats

Forest

Forest

Jun 14, 2006
Bristol
So, bringing the thread back to the top....

Where else does anyone recommend canoeing?
or, where has anyone else canoe'd and had a good experience?
(prefereably canadian canoes - the two man open type! )

Thanks

grain

Jun 2, 2011
Gwynedd
Hi Nobby, the nomad, can you tell us more about your journey
from Welshpool to the Severn by canoe as it is a trip my brother
is planning and it would be interesting to know about your experience.

jackcbr

Native
Sep 25, 2008
Gatwick, UK
www.pickleimages.co.uk
We did the Horworthy to Symonds Yat stretch a couple of years back. Truly lovely. Got my Avtar picture on that trip. Never seen so many kingfishers in my life. Thinking of doing the River Bure & Broads this year, if I can get the time off work.

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
I talked to a farmer who owns a few miles of the riverbank on the Wye the other day. He prefers fishermen to canoeists. I asked him why and he said it was because the canoeists left such a mess behind them!

He let me play with my canoe on his beach though :)

Z

Chrisj

Nomad
Oct 14, 2009
Gwynedd
I've paddled the stretch of the Wye from Witney toll bridge down to Hereford rowing club. I have done it as 2 separate day trips going down to the campsite on one occasion and down from the campsite on another but it would make a great 2 day trip. There's a great campsite at Byecross Farm which is about halfway. Camping is in an old apple orchard amongst the trees. They allow fires and hammocks.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Byecross is very "bushy-friendly" and a great little site :) it gets my vote...but hauling the boats out is hard work if you want them up in the camp with you....
I have paddled all the river from Glasebury to Monmouth and various stretches on the Upper Wye - Llangurig to Rhyader, Builth to Boughrood several times...this is for those happy in white water..."Hell Hole" lives up to its name and I have seen coaches training 5star paddlers lose it on a couple of those stretches!
For me , the next best river in Britain is the Spey - and that has the bonus of Whisky distilleries right by the bank!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE