Canoe wanted...not a clue

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Puddock

Nomad
Nov 7, 2010
Dumfries and Galloway
I am looking to buy a cheap second hand canoe for me and the boy, just wanted something big enough (and buoyant enough) for us both and a bit of kit.

Never having done any canoeing does anyone have any recommendations for a suitable size and make or know where I may be able to get something cheap?

I often scour e-bay but nothing really comes up in Scotland or the north of England.

hiello mate have a look at a old town camper they are a good boat also the old town discovery 158 they also do a 168 which will probably be to big and if you can get royalex they are dearer but a lot lighter... some times they come up on the preloved site and even freecycle good luck

enjoy.

bojit

Native
Aug 7, 2010
Edinburgh
Hi Dan Have you tried Song of the paddle , i'm sure some of the guys over there will be able to help or point you in the right direction .

http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/forum/content.php

Gumtree might be one to have a look at as they have canoes on there all the time , you just have to do a search nationally and you might find one within a decent distance .

Craig..............

Thats what happens when you go make a cuppa mid post someone pips you to the post :)

Jul 26, 2010
Scotland
Hi Dan , If you can get access to a Costco store you can buy a Pelican/Coleman boat with paddles for about £400. They are fairly heavy, but tough and if you decide to sell in the future you should get your money back.

Stuart.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Finding a used canoe is difficult. I watched ebay for 6 months and ended up buying new. But you could get lucky on SOTP - there are many Scottish members. Also canoe schools/rental places sometimes offload their old boats

Pelicans are the same as Colemans. The purists sneer at them but they are very tough and a good boat once it is in the water. I borrowed Magikelly's for a good while. The only thing that put me off was the weight. I am 5'11" and 80kg but found it hard to put it on and off the car safely unaided - I could do it, but it was difficult. Portaging any distance was a nightmare. If your son is a teenager or if you have good upper body strength then it is doable though -MK managed it fine, but he is taller and stronger than me.

Once in the water it is a good boat, either tandem or solo. Grade 2 whitewater is no problem, grade 3 doable with experience. It does not turn as nimbly as some boats though. You could carry an outfit for 3 wks unsupported travel solo, or for a week easily tandem.

Lots of people find they use the canoe solo more than they anticipated. For solo/occasional tandem, a 15ft Royalex canoe is good, but dearer. I got a 15" Bob special, and it is excellent as an allround solo boat or for flatwater tandem.

happy camper

Nomad
May 28, 2005
Scotland
No connection to me, but there is a nice Nova Craft prospector SP3 going for £560 on SOTP at the moment. They seem well thought of, with lots of positive reviews and the SP3 is very good value if you don't want to pay extra for something lighter. It is more money, but i personally would choose this over a coleman without hesitation. It is polyethylene so relatively heavy when out of the water, but very tough, and a classic and versatile design.

http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?29511-Nova-Craft-SP3-Prospector-FS

edit.. also advertised on bcuk.. http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=71611

Last edited:

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
That SP3 is a great buy and won't be around for long. I bought an SP3 considerably older and not as nice for £500 a couple of years ago but it has been great. They hold their value too, you would not loose money on it if you decided you wanted something different but your not likely too it would be the perfect boat for what you are looking for.
The seller is not so far from you either. It's no use finding one 300 miles away a few pounds cheaper.

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Yeah, I'd go with a secondhand prospector over new a coleman too. For a while that was the two boats a pal and I were using and with the possible exception of flatwater tandem the SP3 was a much nicer boat to paddle.
On calm water tandem the Coleman's easy tracking did make for pleasant travelling but throw any chop into the equation and the prospector wins any day(and if you ever plan to paddle rivers it's a better choice too).
Rancid Badger's is a good boat at a good price.

400 it was Robin.
....not that I ever seen the money, it went in as a donation to my dads Riders for Health trip. :)
He had a fantastic time by the way and came back in one piece. Tired and sore but the shoulder injury cleared just in the nick of time for him to get away with making the trip.
Glad to hear you're enjoying the boat.

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
400 it was Robin.
....not that I ever seen the money, it went in as a donation to my dads Riders for Health trip. :)
He had a fantastic time by the way and came back in one piece. Tired and sore but the shoulder injury cleared just in the nick of time for him to get away with making the trip.
Glad to hear you're enjoying the boat.

Whoops my memory is never good, in that case mine was certainly a big bargain and much appreciated. We have not given it a lot of hard use but regularly go for a evening paddle with the kids on the canal, down to the chippy for tea and paddle back again, perfect summer evening activity, in fact planning going out this evening when it's a bit quieter.

Jul 26, 2010
Scotland
The Pelican is big enough for the two of you plus camping kit, open canoes tend to have quite massive payloads, so you will have no problems from that point of view. The price inclusive of the drat is around the £400 mark , sorry I can't remember the exact figure.

Stuart.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE