Canoe sailing

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

welshwhit

Settler
Oct 12, 2005
Mid-Wales
Afternoon folks

What do folks think of the Endless river type set up for a canoe sail to help on large stretches of open water or slow moving river sections?

Any other viable options, looking for something to use with a pole.Th

Thanks

Drew

Bucephalas

Jan 19, 2012
Chepstow, Wales
Wow. Looks good.

The problem is always going to be wind direction. The chance that the wind is blowing in your prefered direction of travel is a slim one. If I had the wind coming from behind, I could easily make a spinnaker and use a kayak paddle to fly it.
The hand held type on their site would only work if you had a second poerson in the canoe to dip their paddle and use it as a sort of centre board, otherwise, the wind would just blow the canoe with little control of direction.

I see their solo sail kits but no mention of a centre board?

Last edited:

markie*mark0

Settler
Sep 21, 2010
warrington
I made my own rig, braced under the forward thwart and clamped in place, i used some old 1" diameter gazebo ali poles as the mast, and then cut and sewn an old fabric tent into a sail, with a pole for the boom and a crude jib sheet to make it taught, looked great and i was really excited to use it....

But in reality canoes arnt meant to sail haha, the lack of a keel made it unstable and because i used mine mostly on rivers the wind was hit and miss....

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I use a canoe pole set through a thwart with a hole in it and a "shoe" glued to the floor of the canoe...
The sail is triangular and has a pocket into which the pole fits - a boom made from shock corded tent pole in a velcro closed pocket along the bottom of the sail - the sheets are just float rope sewn to the end of te boom pocket...

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
I like my windpaddle on my SOT and since I saw a method of linking the sail's line to my buoyancy aid have very good control. Edging the open canoe would give you some lateral resistance.

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
I've never tried an Endless River rig, have traveled with other folk who were using them though and they struck me as a real handy convenience sail. Doesn't take long to set up, catch a fair bit of wind and if you'd usually be carrying your pole anyway it's not a lot of extra to pack.

My rig is an old Mirror dingy bermuda sail cut down a bit(they go for peanuts on ebay sometimes). Canoe pole mast and 1" alloy tube boom. Has up and downhauls and a kickerstrap. Really must get my act together and knock up a gooseneck.
The jib's for light breeze days.
Everything hangs off the mast on four jubilee clips so it only takes a minute to get the pole back for poling duty if required. The mast hoops are stainless curtain rail hoops from b&q.
It's a work in progress.
.....and I suspect always will be. Footering about with it is fun, it's had a fair few changes made even since these pics were taken.

LSHIEL_JUN_10.jpg

JIB_1.jpg

welshwhit

Settler
Oct 12, 2005
Mid-Wales
Thanks for the replies folks.

I'll hopefully have a mooch around on SOTP abit later if I get the chance Shewie, good idea that

I'd have me pole with me anyway, and its more of a fancy a break from paddling jobby rather that a dedicated sail for canoe sailing.

Think I'll go for that rig as it all comes in a neat kit, just need to swap out the thwart, and in the summer months it'll make a nice way of cruising Bala lake with the kids!

It'll make a change from wrestling with my tarp when the need arises!

Thanks for the input everyone!

Drew

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE