For Sale Canoe paddles

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
Good evening all..

I believe this is the right place for this topic, if it needs moved or adjusted then my apologies in advance.

I have started making canoe paddles in my spare time. At the moment I can only offer a couple of styles, but I’m enjoying the process and hope to do more in time.

Ill add them in separate posts to make things easier, if anyone wants more information feel free to message me on here. Olook up Ferlas Craft on social media.

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
First up this is and Algonquin pattern, the design is associated with the native tribe of the same name in Canada. It’s a deep water paddle which is best used in lakes and larger rivers.

This is the red cedar “super light” as I like to call it, weighing around 600grams!
£75.00
A46DD929-3DF4-4303-88A2-1645F19C5EB5.jpeg

Below is the same pattern in spalted ash, which is a little heavier but more resistant to wear, weighing around 1200grams.
£110.00
209A5501-CB50-4CE9-818C-E1A7880A2403.jpeg

henchy3rd

Settler
Apr 16, 2012
Derby
First up this is and Algonquin pattern, the design is associated with the native tribe of the same name in Canada. It’s a deep water paddle which is best used in lakes and larger rivers.

This is the red cedar “super light” as I like to call it, weighing around 600grams!
£75.00
View attachment 64096

Below is the same pattern in spalted ash, which is a little heavier but more resistant to wear, weighing around 1200grams.
£110.00
View attachment 64097
Smashing bit of wood work there,I do like the spalted ash one. Is the Algonquin the same design as the otter tail?
I’ve already got 3..oh what to do?
I have made a few in the past & hears one I made earlier, albeit a little on the heavy side.image.jpg

Reactions: FerlasDave

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
Is the Algonquin the same design as the otter tail?

It’s similar yes, though a little more sleek and and balanced than the generic ottertail I think the Algonquin pattern has better lines and slices nicer.

Thank you, very nice paddle you’ve made there yourself.. Go on, one more won’t hurt. :sneaky: Although I’m currently working on a river specific pattern too..

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria

£75.00
View attachment 64096

£110.00
View attachment 64097
Those are stunning! Beautiful shape. Makes me want to get the canoe out.
Looks like lakeland stone. Are you in my neck of the woods? I'm in Kendal.

Reactions: FerlasDave

henchy3rd

Settler
Apr 16, 2012
Derby
It’s similar yes, though a little more sleek and and balanced than the generic ottertail I think the Algonquin pattern has better lines and slices nicer.

Thank you, very nice paddle you’ve made there yourself.. Go on, one more won’t hurt. :sneaky: Although I’m currently working on a river specific pattern too..
I note your river paddle is somewhat rounded at the corner tips..would this give a better drive & forward momentum into the water & reduce air drag as I prefer to skim the water upon a new stroke?

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
I note your river paddle is somewhat rounded at the corner tips..would this give a better drive & forward momentum into the water & reduce air drag as I prefer to skim the water upon a new stroke?

So I designed that one for my wife originally, it’s just an all rounder that she can use for work. It pulls the water really well in deep water but has quite a square base for river paddling too.

I suppose it would reduce air drag although standard technique is to twist the blade and slice through the air with the blade parallel to the water?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE