canoe expedition - canada May 2014

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
Falcn yea sorry link to the thread is in post #13 thank you very much. I wont know if any of them are interested as I dont have an account could you tell them to register on this and sign onto the sheet please :) cheers!!

And hibrion...youve got over a year to save ..goo oonnnn ;)

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
Believe me, I am seriously thinking about this, so it's £700 ish + flights, flights to be arranged by students ? did I read that right ? the rest is ok, just the flight thing bothers me, is there only one scheduled flight in at the meeting time, what if there are delays, yes, I like to dot the I's lol, pppppp :D

Yes but us Student could just all organise this together? All fly from one airport together? Flights will be anywhere between 600-1000 hopefully closer the 600 mark! But still an outrageously good deal!

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
over on SoTP - someone said that may was a bad time of year to go to canada...something to do with Black Fly season? get eaten alive and no amount of Deet will help? :(

and thanks for that addo, good to see the trip (if it does go ahead) wont be as expensive as we first thought! You said that you would still be going regardless of whether this trip goes ahead or not, do you mean to canada still or just a canoe trip somewhere? Because Me and Brian have been looking into Sweeden incase Canada doesn't go ahead...would be good if there was a squad of us going?

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
No doubt be cheaper but canada is like "the dream"

That's the thing. Sweden and the rest of Scandinavia would hopefully be the place for many future trips for me and the family as I very much like the people and environment, but I would like to at least get to Canada once and live the dream in my lifetime.
I'll just get researching, get on a plane and rent a canoe. If that's the case I'll get trained up by joining a club before I go.

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
Yeah man totally agree! Canada is like the once in a lifetime sort of thing. Where in derby are you? Might be worth having a back up plan? and obviously you dont live too far away so a pint isnt out the question?

Do you have a canoe/kayak already? I do quite a bit on the canals and trent and would be great to have someone else to go with. Hoping to get out on sat if its not freezing!

Llwyd

Forager
Jan 6, 2013
Eastern Canada
over on SoTP - someone said that may was a bad time of year to go to canada...something to do with Black Fly season? get eaten alive and no amount of Deet will help? :(

Yes and she was right too. While the water is high enough to get down the Shelburne that time of year you will be in some of the worst blackfly country in the east due to the badlands and bogs nearby. You will want to fly through there at light speed not hang out for days on end learning skills.
I also take clients into this area and will be doing a trip there in July of this year with a fellow form Yorkshire. While we probably will not be doing the river section we will be spending 10 days on the lakes and then probably go check out some humpback whales before sending him home. We also have a plan B) and a Plan C) because the weather can be unpredictable.

Last September a BCUK/SotP group hired me to take them there, but a Hurricane forced us inland to a different location. We had excellent weather though and a great time.

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=97064

If you are seriously considering coming to Canada you should do some research on the best time of year. When Payne traveled the area and wrote the Tent Dwellers people only bathed a few times a year and were not so easy for the blackflies to detect. That and they were a different breed of men.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE