Candle Making - wax question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Baelfore

Life Member
Jan 22, 2013
Ireland
Hi all.

Right, so a friend of mine is a dental nurse and knows that whenever I can get my hands on a few sheets of beeswax I make candles for the trail for on the trail. (put inside a glass jar- gives off more light than an 8 LED lantern, and smells good too!!) :D

So anyway she got some wam sticks left over from work that are supposedly mainly beeswax.
the info sheet that came with it says the ingreidients are :
Beeswax
Carnauba wax
and gum damar

Does anybody know if I can use this to make a candle or will it stink something awlful?
I hope it would work because she can get me more if I want it.

Thanks as always for anyhelp that can be provided.

Regards,
Baelfore

P.s. if I don't get any responses about this I'm just going to give it a go and see how it turns out.

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It should work but the dammar gum is a resin and will burn with both scent and smoke. It's not an overpowering scent though, it's a bonding type of resin in an incense. It's also used in batik to stop the wax cracking (presumably it's use in dentistry too) and as an ingredient in varnish for paintings.
Carnuba wax is a hard shiny wax that gives a crisp clear edge to a mould or a high polish on turned wood. It's added in tiny quantities to candlewax to increase the burning time. It melts at the highest temperature for natural waxes.

Basically, I'd dilute the stuff down well with ordinary wax, use a really good wick, and make sure your ventilation is up to scratch, but otherwise it should be fine :)

cheers,
Toddy

Baelfore

Life Member
Jan 22, 2013
Ireland
thanks Toddy. I'll give it a go this evening. what wax should i use to dillute it down? i have some ends of scented candles, some parrifin wax and a small bit of beeswax.

thanks,
Baelfore

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE