Canada next year - how to keep bears away

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
SInce IdahoBackwoods posted as well, I'm inspired to recommend Idaho to everyone in Britain.

In my mind, Idaho is one of the undiscovered gems in the US ... [but] ... I think there's almost a secret club of US outdoorsmen who know about Idaho. It's just not on lots of people's mental maps -- but oh god the country there is fabulous...

Well, now you've spilled the beans! <grin>

Lots of black bears around here. We are just southwest of Quesnel, B.C. Warm winter after warm winter, except for this one of course. There is usually a family of bears hanging around at the end of our road and for the last couple of years it has been a mother with three cubs. Usually a mother has one cub at a time, maybe two.

I've been around bears all my life and never had a problem. Common sense.

A_cabin_in_the_bush.jpg

Where we live bears are shot on sight. A rancher sees a bear on the road, stops, shoots then sees the 2 cubs watching. As they get back into thieir truck they'll consider they've rid us all of three.

I saw with my own eyes a still born calf on the ground just inside the forest line with a 20" knife cut on its side that had been laced with poison destined for bears, wolves, cougars and every other animal with a taste for meat. Ranchers figure they lose beef to these predators.

Grizzly territory used to stretch from the Mojave dessert to Alaska and as far east as Winnipeg.

I participate in this forum because I figure people who want to practice bushcraft want to be aware of the bush.
I really like bears. I agree it is a privilege to see one in the wild.
My advice is to respect them, then leave. I mean respect them like you have been sleep walking and you've woken up in somebody else's house, and they are sitting there staring at you.

Scott.

gloomhound

Tenderfoot
Nov 20, 2008
Charleston
If you camp out there, by all means buy at least two 26-oz. cannisters of Canadian bear repellent spray -- one for you and one for your wife -- and learn how to use it.

Good advice. I happen to know that pepper spray does work on black bears. Once when I was a police officer I was called to a bear disturbance. Found a adult black bear dumpster diving at a parks work site. The local Game Warden was not answering his page, so I had to spray him to get him to move along. Very effective and this was the "weaker" police issue spray designed for humans. Buy three cans and safely test one in order to get the feel for it and the range of the stream. Please read the printed directions first. You shoot half and let the wife shoot the rest. Please watch the wind direction and your target area, in that this stuff is nasty. Understanding the use and limitations will allow you to build confidence in its use. An added benefit is by carrying bear spray you will have a weapon to defend yourself with from more realistic dangers you may face. Mainly mean dogs and weirdos.

There are lots of black bears where I live too, and I've been camping in this country for 35 years without any serious trouble. We encountered bears on the trail and while camping, and never had a problem.

I agree with Cariboo, that we should be alert in the bush, treat bears and all other animals with respect and as much true understanding as we can muster.

And always be alert to everything in your surroundings -- to the landmarks you've passed, to changes in the weather, to the wet log you are about to step on, to the stream you are about to ford, to the wild animals, to horses coming down the trail, and to other people.

I have never been attacked in the bush by any animal but humans. But then I've also been attacked by humans in cities. <grin>

Ehm... what about disguising yourself and the family as a bowlful of Brussel Sprouts? I know very few creatures that are fond of them, and often do their best to quickly get away from them.

That's my sober, educated, and informed opinion, of course.

Hope it helps,

Mungo

JFW

Settler
Mar 11, 2004
Clackmannanshire
Dogwood,

why did you have to tell everyone, I have family in northern Idaho and would love to go there for a trip, just have to convince SWMBO that camping in wild Idaho with bears and beasties would be a great holiday for her. The scenery is fantastic and the clan have sent me some pictures of their local trails. I think I'll have to convince her that she could stay in town while I go out with the boys..

Cheers

JFW

SInce IdahoBackwoods posted as well, I'm inspired to recommend Idaho to everyone in Britain.

In my mind, Idaho is one of the undiscovered gems in the US, in terms of sheer beauty, it's up there with Montana and Wyoming, although nothing touches Alaska on that score.

However, the difference is that even in the US, most people don't explore Idaho and there is more wild adventure there than you can believe.

Sometimes I think there's almost a secret club of US outdoorsmen who know about Idaho. It's just not on lots of people's mental maps -- but oh god the country there is fabulous...

Plus in lots of spots it's great place for wildlife watching. (If I remember correctly, it's done a lot of wolf re-population -- that's something I have yet to see, wild wolves in the lower 48... Alaska and the Yukon territory, yes, lower 48, no....)

Anyhow, if you love the wilds, check out Idaho, you won't be sorry.

A different perspective on this:

During the period 1960-1980, there were an average of 25 black-bear attacks per year on humans in the U.S. and Canada. Typically, only one or two of these resulted in serious injury or death. ( Herrero, Bear Attacks, revised edition, p. 5 )

During the twentieth century, there were on average only about 7 grizzly-bear attacks per year on humans in the U.S. and Canada. However, more than half of these resulted in severe injuries or death. ( Herrero, Bear Attacks, revised edition, p. 79 )

In the 1990s, there were on average about 6 attacks per year by cougars on humans in the U.S. and Canada. Typically, only one person per year died from these attacks. ( http://tchester.org/sgm/lists/lion_attacks.html#stats )

However, during the last two decades of the twentieth century, an average of about 15 people per year were KILLED by domestic dogs in the U.S. alone. ( http://tchester.org/sgm/lists/lion_attacks.html#stats ) ( http://www.dogexpert.com/Dog&#37;20Bite Statistics/DogBiteStatistics.html ) Recently, this has been going up, and in 2007, 33 Americans were killed by domestic dogs. ( http://www.dogbitelaw.com/PAGES/statistics.html )

stoneraven

Dec 14, 2006
Canada
Hi:

I'm one of the friendly Albertans that you might meet in Banff. As a habitat ecologist here in Alberta I've spent many days and nights in bear country in Alberta, British Columbia, Yukon and Northwest Territories.

Bears are here, respect them, do the common sense stuff that has been described. I would recommend a few websites for you to look at. There are a number of great websites just search under bear safety or bear awareness. I've spent almost forty years here, have had many bear encounters and all of them have been incredible. I was only on one field survey where one of my companions had a negative encounter while doing track surveys in north east B.C. in late winter. All ended well, but that's another story.

Here are few sites I would recommend.

Gov. of NWT Safety in Grizzly and Black Bear Country
download the PDF file and read it
http://www.nwtwildlife.com/Publications/safetyinbearcountry/safety.htm

Banff National Park
http://www.pc.gc.ca/pn-np/ab/banff/visit/visit7_e.asp

British Columbia Bear Aware
http://www.bearaware.bc.ca/links.htm

Bear Safety Univ. of Alberta
http://safety.eas.ualberta.ca/node/13

U.S based Center for wildlife information
http://www.bebearawaresw.org/

Yosemite national Park US
http://www.yosemitepark.com/bear-awareness.aspx

There is recent research (2008) that suggests that bear spray is an effective deterent for bears. When you fly into calgary go to a sports store and pick up the bear spray. When you are finished it cannot be taken on a plane so you might as well give it away to someone when you are finished with it.

The link to the paper is here:
http://www.polarbearsinternational.org/rsrc/scientists/bear_spray.pdf

Depending on what season you are coming. If you want to see bears, I would recommend a trip south of Calgary to Waterton Lakes National Park about three hours south of Calgary. You won't be disappointed, spectacular country. On the way down you can stop at the Head-Smashed in Buffalo Jump, a world heritage site. Lots to see and do here in Alberta. Banff is only the gateway drug to Alberta. Hope you enjoy your trip.

From a fellow bush crafter.

dogwood

Settler
Oct 16, 2008
San Francisco
JFW,

By all means take her camping in the wilds of Idaho --- some of the most extraordinary wilderness in the world is there.

I'm sure you all have noticed that the message coming through from all of us here who have lots of experience in bear country is that it's just not an issue if you take a couple of precautions.

And incidentally, those precautions are more for the bear's sake (preventing them from habituating themselves to domestic food) than for ours!

Here's another stat: would your wife be willing to step onto a recreational boat in a lake in Idaho? If so she's placed herself at more risk than camping in bear country -- more people die in recreational boating accidents in 10 DAYS in the US than die from bear attacks in 10 YEARS!

Golfing is more dangerous. Boating is more dangerous. And besides, what's life without a little danger. Makes dinner taste better that night...

You're going to LOVE Idaho, JFW!

Dogwood,

why did you have to tell everyone, I have family in northern Idaho and would love to go there for a trip, just have to convince SWMBO that camping in wild Idaho with bears and beasties would be a great holiday for her. The scenery is fantastic and the clan have sent me some pictures of their local trails. I think I'll have to convince her that she could stay in town while I go out with the boys..

Cheers

JFW

trail2

Nomad
Nov 20, 2008
Canton S.Dakota (Ex pat)
When I was younger I used to Moose hunt in bear country. Always camped in the area.
Only ever saw 2 bears. Neither one was at all interested in me.
Just follow the aforementioned safety rules about food in and around camp and you will be fine.
If Canada doesn't work for the family come to South Dakota. Got no bears in the Black Hills but do have a pretty good population of Cougars.
Heck I will even meet you there.:D
Jon R.

dogwood

Settler
Oct 16, 2008
San Francisco
When I was younger I used to Moose hunt in bear country. Always camped in the area.

When I lived in Alaska, one of the most dangerous wildlife encounters I had was with an angry bull moose.

Pictures don't communicate just how massive and powerful moose are -- you've got to see them up close in the wild. They really do seem like Paleolithic creatures...

Most moose just ignored me, but one day this bull didn't like something I did and oh my god was it intense...

(Also, back when I ate meat, I used to *love* moose -- to me it was the best meat in the world -- if you find yourself in a place with moose meat, don't pass it up.)

Carcajou Garou

On a new journey
Jun 7, 2004
Canada
Good advice on bears, I wouldn't stay in designated campsites either as a lot of bears are "habituated" by the presence of humans. Bear canisters are a very good idea and they can be fitted with packing harnesses.

As far as having a can of bear spray for your wife...well she followed you that far what makes you think that spraying with bear spray would keep her away????? wives are a lot tougher than grizzlies

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Thanks everyone for the superb advice, I never thought I`d get such educated replies and I thought I was setting myself up for a load of grief.

Special thanks to our friends over the pond who`ve offered their first hand knowledge and given me/us so much to think about.

In a nutshell it sounds like there`s not much to worry about, if it`s going to happen there`s nothing we can do about it, if it does then don`t panic.

Thanks again all :You_Rock_

dogwood

Settler
Oct 16, 2008
San Francisco
There are stories -- I don't know if they're apocryphal or not -- about bull moose challeging steam engines in the early days of railroads.

Supposedly, they were big enough to derail an engine when they hit it (of course the moose died...) I don't know if the stories are true.

Moose are a wonderful sight.

Dog wood your right those moose are huge, i was shaocked when i seen one wander over the road get the kinda feeling the car would be the road kill if you hit one and not the moose

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
jokesblogspot.blogspot.com
They certainly don't seem to have much hurry about them i think they know they are the biggest thing about. Enroute to canada we ran across the road infront of the board crossing gaurd in america, little did we know we weren't allowed to belt across the road on foot willy nilly, so he stopped us and started telling us all about road crossing etc. It turned out he had scottish relatives and was a gem of a guy, we were telling him were worried about the bears, he told us not to worry about them as the bears were scared from the moose, likley story we thought.

Then we seen one, wholy smoke, what height do you think they are inc antlers etc 9ft? the one we seen was about 7ft i would recon not including head and antlers

FarPoint

Jan 15, 2008
Toronto, Canada
An old joke about being able to tell what kind of bears are in your area from their scat:

If it is small and dark with seeds in it, a black bear is nearby, it is from a grizzly if it smells of pepper spray and has bells in it.

Seriously, make sure there is always an escape route for the bear, make a lot of noise and consider yourself lucky. I have seen lots in the wilds including coming 20m from a foraging 800lb grizzly who took off in a flash as soon as he saw me-mind you it had been awhile since I had showered.

Have a blast over here in the Colonies.

Farpoint

-all those who wander are not lost-JRR Tolkien

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE