Can you recommend me..

Peteo

Banned
Apr 1, 2012
Wales
Hello ladies and gents..

Please could you recommend or show me what you are using for a groundsheet- want one for under my bivy bag or hammock to keep the bivy clean/sitting area.

Would like something light and packable/compressible

Thank you :D

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I bought one back around 1973, back then they were called a Sports Blanket. Used it as a cover over the sleeping bag in winter, just the right size for a two man tent (and two sleeping bags).

Peteo

Banned
Apr 1, 2012
Wales
Will any of them stuff down though? I would like it too if possible as im trying to get my overnight kit into 35L

cheers

Peteo

Banned
Apr 1, 2012
Wales
I have a poncho but do not want to carry a poncho and tarp, just looking for some small ground cover, dont fancy using a poncho after a night on muddy floor either!
I was looking at the stuff that goes on a house roof before tiles (waterproof) but think ill end up without a ground sheet

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
I make use of two ccf mats. One on the ground, hammock on that and 2nd in the DD. I don't want anything to puncture the bottom of the hammock as it could well rip next time I am tree hanging

woodspirits

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com
i always use an offcut of builders black plastic, cut it to any size you want and it rolls up to the size of a bike pump. have a word at your local building site and look in their skip :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I've been using the big sheet of green plastic/polythene that I cut out of the garden bench cover from £land. It's over a metre wide and about 2 long, weighs almost nothing and packs down to a roll the size of a thick smarties tube. The two side pieces are just the right size to wrap muddy boots in :)
On t'other hand, if you don't mind silver, they sell a twin pack of survival blankets for the quid too.

cheers,
Toddy

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Get yourself down to Wickes and buy a pack of their secondary glazing film, also known as polycryo in the lightweight backpacking scene.

I cut mine down to roughly 1.5m x 2m, added a piece of gaffa tape on the corners and poked a hot peg through, total weight all in 44g

Peteo

Banned
Apr 1, 2012
Wales
Get yourself down to Wickes and buy a pack of their secondary glazing film, also known as polycryo in the lightweight backpacking scene.

I cut mine down to roughly 1.5m x 2m, added a piece of gaffa tape on the corners and poked a hot peg through, total weight all in 44g

Thank you everyone! I will probably go with this idea Shewie- thank you!! Could this stuff be stuffed into something or would it have to be folded down? Not a huge problem either way..

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
If you can get a hold of some Tyvek damp proof membrane its very good ;hard wearing and lightweight
My only gripe is its blue
Again new builds and renovations will have it in big rolls

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Thank you everyone! I will probably go with this idea Shewie- thank you!! Could this stuff be stuffed into something or would it have to be folded down? Not a huge problem either way..

Either or really mate, I fold mine first until it's paperback book size and then roll it up, that gives you something about the size of a Smarties tube. You could stuff it into a small sack which would give you something the size of an orange.

Obviously when you're sleeping on it the underside gets wet from condensation, either peg it out the other way up in the morning or try and fold the wet faces into each other so you always have one dry side, probably more important on multiday trips than just a weekender though.

Peteo

Banned
Apr 1, 2012
Wales
Either or really mate, I fold mine first until it's paperback book size and then roll it up, that gives you something about the size of a Smarties tube. You could stuff it into a small sack which would give you something the size of an orange.

Obviously when you're sleeping on it the underside gets wet from condensation, either peg it out the other way up in the morning or try and fold the wet faces into each other so you always have one dry side, probably more important on multiday trips than just a weekender though.

Thank you very much, will certainly give this a go! :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE