Can you name this wood please?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
If the wood quickly turned yellowy-green (lime green) after it was fresh split, it is lime wood. Its not alder, as alder is streaky creamy white and bronzy red colors
Now U mention cow poo, I once got some logs that stunk just like a ripe byre when they were fresh split open, I asked about it here, but cant remember what was the consensus view of what it was, might of been sweet chestnut?? not sure at all

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Not an easy one this. First off I would say the wood looks a bit "doughty", slightly past its sell by date. Looking at the end grain shot I would say we definitely have had a bit of fungal attack before it dried which will have made the wood lighter in weight and possibly changed colour from fresh cut wood or wood which was split then dried quickly. I imagine that would also change its properties as a hearth board so it may be difficult to get exactly the same again even if we know the species.

As to species, yes defo not beech. The best thing to look at in IDs are the medulary rays, these are the little flecks which run radially from the centre towards the bark. If you cut across them (say the top surface of the end grain picture) you see them end on and they apear as the little flecs in Stews beech picture, am I right in thinking its the top surface of the end grain picture that apears in the side grain picture? more helpful is if you can show a radial surface (the bottom one in the end grain picture) idealy close up with a scale (mm ruler?) It still may not be possible to ID but it would give us more chance..for instance it's easy to tell lime from alder from the rays.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Cheers for all of the well wishes guys, don't know if I've got it yet but 30 people were interviewed for 10 places but they have decided to take on 20. I turned up in my best whistle and felt a bit overdressed until I met a couple of other guys in suits, all ex-forces! One of the interviewers mentioned peoples' appearance, so hopefully the guys who turned up in jeans and hoodies (I'm not kidding!) will dip out and I'll be in there. I got some very positive vibes though, and one guy who is the big boss knows the folk in Enfield where I did my training so it's looking good. Time will tell though.

Anyway, now that I have totally derailed my own thread, it is time to get this train back on track. I'm gonna make a brew and then get some pics of this wood. I reckon I've found a new species personally! :D

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
It's not a wood I'm really familiar with but could it be poplar? The end grain and longitudinal shots look like the poplar I've used. Don't know what the bark looks like though. As I say, I've only used it on a couple of occasions.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
It's really tough to carve though, and it is a much more red colour than lime. I'll put lime next to it when I do the pics. brew is done and I'm in Crumpett so I'll get on now!

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
OK, a few more shots of the martian wood that I got off of a fallen asteroid! I've tried to flatten the wood off a bit but it is so tough it is unreal! Even my carvin Jack struggled and that is like a little razor! It has blunted it quite quickly in fact, and that was just skimming cuts. Amazing!

0802270006.jpg

0802270005.jpg

0802270004.jpg

0802270003.jpg

Lime at back, mystery wood up front.
0802270002.jpg

Lime at the front, mystery wood at the back, just to ensure there is no trickery with the wood colouration due to focus or lighting.
0802270001.jpg

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Could it be a part of a small sweet chestnut branch? The only reason I ask is because I have cut some sweet chestnut in the past and it is the only wood apart from Hazel and lime that I think I have cut in the last year. All of my wood around the house is from the local area, I got all new wood when I moved back from Germany. Saying that, comparing it to a spoon I made in sweet chestnut, it doesn't quite look the same. I'm totally baffled and only wished I could remember where I got it from!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE